Before and after alcohol!

I decided enough was enough when I saw a series of photographs of myself, not the chronic gastritis, sickness, days off work and various other issues but a photo! I’ve been drinking solid every day for the last seven years so obviously those extra calories have taken their toll and I look like what I am, an overweight alcoholic. I’m very weight loss motivated so please post some before and after selfies so I can see how amazing you all look xx

4 Likes

my first day sober

Sober me! Best decision of my entire life!!! Welcome

23 Likes

You look amazing x

Thank you, you will too!!! :kissing_heart: Just stick with us!

1 Like

I don’t have an impressive before/after photo (yet), but I do have this:

I’ve lost over 11 pounds since I quit drinking and no sign’s of stopping!

13 Likes

Same with me, my resting heart rate was mid 80s now its low 60s. Also my average blood pressure 3 weeks after I quit was 140/90 and now it’s 125/77. I was afraid to know what my BP was when I was drinking. During my last doctor visit 2 years, the doc was very concerned about my BP, it was too high for my age (38 at the time). That made me worry a lot because I was a walking timebomb, especially considering my mom has has several strokes herself.

6 Likes

My blood pressure is still kinda high cause I have a high sodium intake but I can totally relate to this. About 2 years ago I had a hard time getting a PT job during the winter months when my work slows down because I couldn’t pass the BP test at Concentra. At that time i was drunk 24/7 awake or asleep!

2 Likes

That’s pretty amazing!

1 Like

I’m jealous, that you like running that is. I hate it, but I have been doing it daily for 2 weeks, I’m actually writing this parking lot at the gym. It’s very boring and hard… lol

2 Likes

My blood preesure was high too. When I had to get up leaving the train for example I had to stop and wait a moment outside bc my head felt like beeing pressed to the size of an apple :smile: Was not bueno. Now I can jump up from a seat and immediatly make a sprint up the stairs :muscle:

1 Like

It’s disgusting the influence alcohol has over our health like that. I felt lkke my head was in a vice all the time, now, I feel normal. Also, just last night I realized i no longer get acute abdominal pain, i used to get it daily and was debilitating! I think it might have been pancreatitis. Scary stuff!

3 Likes

I remember when you first got here and posted your “before” picture. Your transformation has been remarkable and your words inspire.

3 Likes

Thank you, it’s been one hell of a journey but man I am glad to be here and doing it with all of you awesome people! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I broke my foot in early August and can so relate! Just started pt and still not running. I miss it so much too.

1 Like

I always wonder what people think about when they run. I feel like I need to try to zone out more. I did yesterday for a bit and it was great but it’s hard for me to get there.

2 Likes

Wow! I noticed my resting heart rate went down when I quit too. I took a snapshot of it from my Fitbit the week I quit. It startingbgoing down immediately

4 Likes

My BP was 140/90 before when I was drinking, it’s now 90/60 , scary how much potential damage I could have done…

3 Likes

My BMI since I stopped drinking in March

3 Likes

@LNM and @anon34614660, About 5 years ago I had an Achilles strain (not a tear, thank God!), that left me on crutches then in a boot then in a stocking. It was 5 months before I ran pain free on the treadmill for two miles.

It was bliss for me to return to that!

My healing went faster because I was able to apply the steps of AA to my injury and the Serenity Prayer to my head screaming at me that it would never get better and I would be in pain for the rest of my life. I’m a closet drama mama!

I have that experience now to help me deal with my ongoing pains and lack of motivation that come with hard physical training. I know better how to listen to my body and discriminate hurting from injured. And my sober mind is settled on accepting what I can do that day, including being uncomfortable and pushing just a little harder.

4 Likes

Blood pressure before sobriety - 160/100
Blood pressure after sobriety - 120/65

I’ve been on BP meds for years but now my doc says that if my BP stays where it is, he will take me off the meds at my next appointment (early December).

5 Likes