Before Cell Phones, Social Media & Streaming, I had to

There has to be so many stories, off the top of my head when I was young, I remember:

• If you wanted to reach someone, you used a land line (bolted to the wall) or show up at their house if they lived close. And if anyone was on the phone, you’d get a Busy Signal. (When call waiting came out, it was extra $)
  • We had 5 channels on TV. You were rich if yours had a remote.
  • I remember when seat belts in cars became a law. Before, many cars had bench seats, a lot of parents had us kids in the very back of a station wagon, with the window down.
  • Movie theaters had 1 movie a week.
  • No such thing as cyber bullying!! :blush:
  • If you wanted to take pictures, you’d have to carry a camera, NO selfies! When the roll was done, you dropped it off at the store and waited up to a week to see what came out.
29 Likes

Listen to WLLH am radio to hear the list of school closings in the winter.

Only had to dial 5 numbers on that wall phone.

Rode up and down the street on my bike to see what friends were out.

Cut the field to play baseball on in the spring.
Nailed a laundry basket to some plywood which was nailed to a telephone pole to play basketball.
Grabbed my skates in the winter and a shovel and hockey stick to play ice hockey on the frozen pond till dark.

We need a geriatric TS thread and some rocking chairs :joy:

20 Likes

If u went somewhere new, u had to check a map beforehand, make notes or draw your own map, and ask people for directions if u got lost. Now with google maps just listen to directions!

18 Likes

I remember when MapQuest came out, and I would print directions to read as I drove, thought it was the best thing ever!! :rofl:

16 Likes

Had your own mail box and actually looked forward to a letter from someone. Getting a letter from someone in the mail was a huge deal!

19 Likes

We always had 7 numbers to dial. The only time you used an area code, was Long Distance, and boy, you’d better not be calling LD on your home phone.

All the commercials for 900 #s late at night!

12 Likes

I remember real young when everyone at the grocery stores smoked, including the cashier’s!!

6 Likes

I remember there was a section at the back of the phone book that had a number (or numbers) you could call and then make a numerical selection to hear an automated piece of information on whatever it was that you were interested in. I loved this and used it all the time.

@Dazercat I still write letters by hand… in cursive :laughing:

13 Likes

Had to get up off your ass to change the channel. We never had a complete set of encyclopedias so I usually ended up at the library for school projects. We use to turn the fire hydrants on to cool off in the summer.

12 Likes

National anthem and this when the television :tv: stations signed off between 10 and midnight.
IMG_8356

16 Likes

OMG, I remember that!!! No 24 hour TV!

6 Likes

You could call on the phone for time and temperature and a prayer.

10 Likes

Oh and those big ass map books, that you had to buy at the gas station for directions. I challenge anybody born after 1990 to try and figure out how to get home with one of them.

13 Likes

First tv we had was black and white of course. We had two channels and one afternoon a week (Wednesday) it showed some children’s programs. Otherwise program started at 6 and ended at 10 or something.

14 Likes

Our favourite telephone number to call was that for the geinlijn (the funny line). One joke a day by Dutch jewish comic Max Tailleur.

9 Likes

People would page me 911 just so I would call back right away even though it wasn’t an emergency. That would drive me nuts! Get it together you drama queen attention freaks!

13 Likes

Yes! I also distinctly remember one on the benefits of proper teeth care. :sweat_smile:

Another phone related one: calling the theater to see what is playing and the times.

13 Likes

I remember when pagers came out, very high tech. Most people I knew that had one outside of their job, was a drug dealer. (some my friends)

8 Likes

Walking the avenue and going from store to store, filling out job applications, so we had money for the summer

10 Likes

Collecting old newspapers and selling them as old paper (for nickles and dimes, but we could buy some candy that way)

10 Likes