❤️ Best AA sayings

Hi there please list below your favourite AA saying, long or short. It may be hard to pick one, but I believe in you.

My choice for today is: Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves. There are such unfortunates. They are not at fault; they seem to have been born that way. They are naturally incapable of grasping and developing a manner of living which demands rigorous honesty. Their chances are less than average. There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

Prayers and love to you all :heart:

31 Likes

I like a little further in to that same page.
We learned that we had to fully concede to our inner most selves that we were alcoholics. THIS is the first step in recovery

14 Likes

My Wednesday meeting reads this every week.

Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow…

There are two days in every week
about which we should not worry,
Two days which should be kept free of fear and apprehension.

One of these days is YESTERDAY,
With its mistakes and cares,
Its faults and blunders,
Its aches and pains.
YESTERDAY has passed forever beyond our control.

All the money in the world cannot bring back YESTERDAY.
We cannot undo a single act we performed;
We cannot erase a single word we said.
YESTERDAY is gone.

The other day we should not worry about is TOMORROW
With its possible adversities, its burdens, its larger promise.
TOMORROW is also beyond our immediate control.

TOMORROW, the sun will rise,
Either in splendor or behind a mask of clouds,
But it will rise.
Until it does, we have no stake in TOMORROW
For it is as yet unborn.

This leaves only one day - TODAY.
Any man can fight the battles of just one day.
It is only when you and I add the burdens of those two awful eternities, YESTERDAY and TOMORROW, that we break down.

It is not the experience of TODAY that drives men mad.
It is remorse or bitterness for something which happened YESTERDAY
And the dread of what TOMORROW may bring.

Let us, therefore, live but ONE day at a time.

64 Likes

I have never been to a meeting, but I think this phrase…which I truly love and adhere to…is an AAism…

Progress, not perfection.

47 Likes

Wow I love that so much :heart_eyes: a deep expansion on the so helpful phrase - Just for today :heart::heart: Thank you so much for sharing :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Tell yourself-
Just for today my thoughts will be on my recovery, living and enjoying life without the use of drugs.
Just for today I will have faith in someone in NA who believes in me and wants to help me in my recovery.
Just for today I will have a program. I will try to follow it to the best of my ability.
Just for today, through NA, I will try to get a better perspective on my life.
Just for today I will be unafraid, my thoughts will be on my new associations, people who are not using and who have found a new way of life.
So long as I follow that way, I have nothing to fear.

18 Likes

I think one of my favourite is keep coming back . It’s so simple but so true . I sobbed all the way through my first meeting and don’t remember much but them simple words . It was probably all I could take in . I was so unwell through addiction I never thought they would want me there again. I keep going back and my life has changed so much for the better. If I ever see a new comers now I say them simple words ! X

17 Likes

At the end of my local Sunday meeting after the serenity prayer when holding hands we say “Keep coming back, it works when you work at it! (Sucks when you don’t.)” I love that phrase and you’re right it can be so benificial to willing newcomers, it was for me!! :heart::heart::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

13 Likes

Amen! It’s an honest programme and a programme of action!! :heart::heart::heart:

2 Likes

16 Likes

There is a card on the table of one of the meetings I go to says.

" Serenity is not freedom from the storm, but
peace amid the storm ".

34 Likes

This is a program for those who WANT it, not for those for NEED it.

If all who need it came, only a tiny percentage would be able to fit through the doors!

17 Likes

I love this … I’m just on my way out to aa and needed to remember this saying… thankyou xxx

4 Likes

This, too shall pass.

13 Likes

I’ve only been to a few but each one this old man manages to say “This is a matter of life or death and we don’t fuck with death”. He’s very to the point. I’m thinking he would be a good sponsor.

17 Likes

If it works, don’t fix it.

6 Likes

When you feel bad you need a group. When you are happy the group needs you.

21 Likes

My choice for today is definitely a tie up between “stick with the winners” and “the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking”. :heart::heart::heart::heart:

7 Likes

My favourite saying today has got to be “Just for today” :heart::heart: day 276 no drink.

13 Likes

“What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition.”

7 Likes

Persettä penkkiin which means sthng like (keep putting your) ass on the bench

6 Likes