Binge drinker here

Hi all, I’ve been a binge drinker for years with periods, years back of daily drinking. I’ve always gone over board, never been able to moderate it. The things I’ve done over the years are just awful, so so awful, hurting myself and others, no violence but everything else thst comes with drinking. Nye I stayed up till 6 drinking while my partner was trying to sleep… Dancing on my own etc. I have anxiety everytime after drinking. I’ve stopped before but gone back to it through thinking I can moderate and in the UK everyone drinks. It always ends the same way, three drinking evenings can be fine but it will always end up really not OK thst one time!
Anyway I decided to quit altogether on NYD and haven’t drank anything since then. I would like to go to meetings but feel as I was a binge drinker maybe I shouldn’t. I’ve been reading all your posts in the back ground. You’re all amazing and I wish you all loads of happiness on your sober journey! Thought I’d introduce myself and be more active on here xxx

8 Likes

You are not alone, there are many people here who will listen and understand you. Its my first time on the chat side of this app. Keep telling your self you want to quit. Think positive thoughts as much as possible.

I have a wife and two young daughters 3 & 6 and I get depressed and I just want to be in bed windows covered minimal sun light.

But I stopped yesterday after the 5th binge stretch, I go up to 5 weeks day and night drinking. I wouldn’t take my gilrs to the park anymore. Just be home on my days off drinking and watching comedy to kill my depression.

Im on a good path now, I will fight to stay sober.

2 Likes

Hi Dee, welcome! I am also in the UK and a former binge drinker… And can totally relate to that cringeing feeling of all the stuff I really wish I hadn’t done. And that’s just what I can remember!

Something I noticed after stopping drinking, is actually how much other people really drink. Sure I had a few friends that drank as much as me (some more), but the majority didn’t.

As I have become more solid in my sobriety and found my sober groove, I have naturally gravitated more towards the other non-drinkers when I meet new people/ at work/ through hobbies. It gets easier, with time and patience!

This community was my recovery network l for my first couple of years of sobriety and it worked for me, although I have recently started dipping in to Recovery Dharma meetings for a local network… Hopefully not too long before we can get together in person.

There are so many options, it’s just finding the right thing for you :slightly_smiling_face:

Would recommend this thread as a good place to start for lots of links and useful info about the forum and sobriety in general -

And I have added a ‘binge drinking’ tag to your post, if you click it you will find other topics with information that might be interesting and helpful to you :hugs:

2 Likes

Hey, thanks for your message, we can do it can’t we, sounds like you ha e a lovely family by your side, that’s worth staying sober for, here anytime for a chat too! We can support each other x

1 Like

Alcohol. Is such a depressant isn’t it, sucks ur soul away, keep going xx

1 Like

Hi there, nice to hear you are doing well. It is strange as you do notice that actually some people don’t get that drunk, they have a little and are fine! Well done to them lol. I’ve looked into the dharma recovery, il have to have another search for it. Thanks for your message and support, means a lot! I might do the zoom meetings that happen on here too! X