Binge eating recovery daily check in thread (Part 1)

Day 493 : No binge today. :slightly_smiling_face:
Day 60 : No coffee today. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Day 1 again :expressionless:
Ate last night
Will be back tmw

Nutritionist appt on May 12 to start treatment/recovery from ed (yay)

6 Likes

Good luck on your appointment, I hope it goes well. Sorry to hear you relapsed though. Donā€™t give up.

2 Likes

Checking in
Last night was not a good night for binging. I had done well for all 3 meals and even got thru an earlier urge to binge by eating celery and dressing. After supper, that urge was full force. We ate subway for supper. I chose healthier options etc. That was fine. But I also ate a whole footlong sub. Wasnā€™t full. But my mind started obsessing over wanting to eat more. Waited for hubby to go for a smoke and then literally ate as much as I could for 10 min while he was smoking outside. I have no idea what brings these thots on?! I donā€™t get it. I might need to try and stop and pause when the thought comes up. And journal. Idk maybe that would help give me enuff distraction? What do others do when these thots come up?

5 Likes

Day 494 : No binge today. :slightly_smiling_face:
Day 61 : No coffee today. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

You can try doing art as a temporary distraction until the urge passes. Itā€™s not permanent, but it may calm that urge down until you can get through the rest of the day or night. It doesnā€™t have to be museum worthy, you can do abstract art, cute art, collages, nail art, dark art, realism, anything really. Journaling your thoughts may help as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much! ! Made it to day 2 and will keep checking in here to help myself out at least a bit i think!

2 Likes

Quick question!
Just curiousā€¦ is there a difference btwn overeating and binging? Iā€™m trying to figure out whether what I did last night was plain overeating or of it was a Binge. I usually can tell when I flat out decide to engage in binging but last night seemed different. So im just curious :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am struggling with this too now that Iā€™m sober. When I was drinking I would have horrible binges many times a week. Now that Iā€™m not drinking anymore, I donā€™t feel that insane desire to binge. But I did on Friday and it was bad. But it wasnā€™t as bad as I have been in the past. So Iā€™m confused if it was a binge or just some serious over eating.
How the heck have so many people here gone so long without binging? I need some tips because I would love to be binge AND alcohol free

3 Likes

I feel this 100% Iā€™ve always had such disordered eating in one way or another. I have found since getting clean Iā€™m eating for all the wrong reasons, emotional eating boredom eating, overeating on portion sizes, binging (which usually happens late at night), but yesterday I did well over all, ate supper, and then I ate a few other smaller things for a ā€œsnackā€. I wasnā€™t hungry tho. But I also didnā€™t have the same emotion or anything behind my snackingā€¦ so idk what that was lol I wonder that too! Like how people can go so long without binging!! Drugs and alcohol are slightly diff in the fact that it is 100% abstinence (for me anyway I just donā€™t do it). But with foodā€¦ u need to eat. So I guess itā€™s figuring out HOW to eat? I have no clue lol we can do it tho!!!

3 Likes

Binge eating is overeating+feeling out of control. You also avoid eating with other people around, and may feel shame around eating. Usually there is some sort of trigger for a binge, such as not eating enough during the day, or emotions such as boredom or stress. A lot of binge eaters also hoard food. Overeating is just eating too much.

7 Likes

Really good explanation! Thank u for that! I guess when I think about last nightā€¦ I felt the urge to snack on stuff, even tho I wasnā€™t hungry. I wouldnā€™t say it was an out of control event bcuz I would easily be able to recognize that. Butā€¦ I did have to sort of stop myself from taking more than 1 of each thing that I ate. I initiallly picked up my snacks and then put 1 back of each (i guess tryinf to control the situation). I did feel shame around it. So ya I can see what that was now. Thank u for explaining that!!! Ur very knowledgeable in this area. Iā€™m still learning alot about this.

5 Likes

No problem, glad I could help. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

No binge today. Iā€™m honoring hunger and fullness and seeking healthier options when it is comfortable to do so. Glad you all are here, good to not feel alone.

3 Likes

So glad youā€™re here too! You and everyone else on this thread are doing a great job in your own ways. Including those of you who fell but got back up again. Keep being strong, yā€™all! :blush:

3 Likes

Hmm okay so with that explanation it feels like Friday was a binge. But not a horrible one. I did feel out of control but not terribly and I did feel shame and guilt but also not terribly. Binges in the past after drinking or from being hungover were sooo much worse. My binges since being sober havenā€™t been anywhere near the level they used to be at. So thatā€™s progress. Thanks for clarifying this!

3 Likes

I totally feel you cause you can be 100% abstinent from alcohol and drugs and many other addictions but you canā€™t with food addictions! It is SO hard. I definitely eat a lot out of boredom, and I rarely eat when Iā€™m hungry. I Time my meals which I both like and donā€™t like. I am extremely active so I am always trying to make sure I am fueling my body every three hours. But when I do that I am rarely hungry. And either timing my meals or mindfully eating and eating only when hungry can lead to a binge, it kinda doesnā€™t matter. And whether Iā€™m timing my meals or trying to mindfully eat only one hungry, I am still always looking at the clock wondering when my next meal will be. I love eating, but I canā€™t stand how much I love it.

4 Likes

Day 495 : No binge today. :slightly_smiling_face:
Day 62 : No coffee today. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I did some overeating today. Not full on binge mode, but beyond comfort and more often than I preferred. I had some stress trying to get a paper written for school, and that is a huge trigger for me.

3 Likes

Morning check in
Didnā€™t eat well last night. Felt ill. I went to bed which ended up (I think) giving me nightmares bcuz I wasnā€™t feeling well physically (Iā€™ve heard going to bed on an overly full stomach doesnā€™t help u sleep wellā€¦ could be wrong). Anyway, I woke up and didnā€™t want to eat, which is unusual for me. I felt bad about last night so I think thatā€™s why. Not eating also isnā€™t healthy so initally I had my coffee, water, and a 1 serving of yogurt. But I am trying to include protein with every meal so that I feel fuller which helps me to not go searching for food or binge later on bcuz Iā€™m sooo hungry. Anywayā€¦ after I ate the yogurt I decided to eat 2 eggs and a homemade protein ball. Now I feel better. I think I made the right choice. Bcuz VT me onlg eating 3/4 cup of yogurt, I would be setting myself up for failure today eith my eating. Taking it 1 meal at a time. Literally lol have a great day everyone

4 Likes