Binge eating recovery daily check in thread (Part 1)

I really had the hardest day of my life yesterday. My dad got a stroke, my mom had troubles with her heart, my own health was also pretty bad and at that time I had to do an oral exam. I did do it very well and I didn’t binge! So currently it is day 3 without binging!

5 Likes

Thank you @Aleyadaisey :hugs:
It’s an honour reading this from someone like you who does so well in your own recovery!
Look at you - 802 days without binge. That is awesome and must feel so good!!
Would you like to share how you feel and if you can see some physical/mental changes after all this time? :blush:
Congratulations to you :partying_face::four_leaf_clover:

4 Likes

Well done for getting through all these circumstances without giving in and trying to change your emotional state by binging. That’s strong!

I’m sorry to hear about your dad and mum’s health issues, I wish you all well :four_leaf_clover:
Take care about yourself and keep posting and reading here.

3 Likes

Hi I feel you.
I have the same with lactoze. I love cheese and yoghurt. I know there are lacto-free replacements, but it’s not the same :worried: However, I’m trying to give it up, because it always messes up my stomach and digesting and I don’t want to harm myself any longer.
I started replacing this with nuts. They’re healthy and filling. Pistachios, casshews, wallnuts, almonds, brazil nuts…love all of them!
Good are also eggs, very healthy and rich for protein, I make them fried on salted butter and add a bit of sunflower and pumpkin seeds, yummy :blush:

Also, try some gluten-free products. It should be plenty of it nowadays out there too!

Well done for looking after yourself :blush::four_leaf_clover::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Day 1 in the books (again)

5 Likes

I feel proud of myself for making it this far. As for mental changes I don’t feel as bad about myself (guilt, shame, or feeling down) as I used to, and physical changes? I will also say I don’t have headaches or reflux/heartburn as often, and I started to feel more energetic too. In short, I feel lots better. :blush:

8 Likes

I know going through family health problems can be super difficult, so great job on no binging for 3 days! Keep it up! :blush:

3 Likes

That sounds great and you should be proud of yourself :clap:t2:
Whoever who struggled / struglle with any form of eating disorder knows how difficult it is to get on the path we all wanna be, where there is a healthy relationship with food and where this obsessive thinking about food is gone for good. To get that mindset isn’t easy as it requires to change our perspective and beliefs created in our head for so long. It’s harder when social media and adverts are serving us only certain body images. It gets all confusing when we then chase these unreal goals and we mess it up, because we believe that the change can be made only by adjusting what we eat. It will become never ending cycle of not eating enough to binging / purging, etc. Then we blame ourselves for the fail and start hating ourselves and the food. It’s such a downward spiral…

To get where you’re know needs strength, but I’m not talking about willpower. It takes braveness to be vulnerable and to trust the process. To be in no matter how you feel at a time, because I remember my first days when recovering from bulimia were aweful. I didn’t like the idea of eating plenty of food during the day, I felt like I must be getting super fat with each food. But in the same time I knew that I’d be rather fat than continuing the exhausting binging and purging cycle anymore. And I did get bigger and bloated and I had to live with it for a year or so, before my body finally realise that there is no starvation period coming anymore and all settled down eventually and I started looking normal again.

I started the binging in the evening again, but not the purging. I don’t want to go that road ever again :pray:t2:
I am now over 2 weeks without binging and over eating for the night. I found out that I do must eat more during the day, especially when I am active on the day, and I’m also finding activities to fulfill my time in the evening. And learning how to be bored time to time. All this helps :blush:

7 Likes

Day 803 : No binge today. :slightly_smiling_face:
Day 139 : No coffee today. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Checking in on Day 2 no binging

5 Likes

Day 804 : No binge today. :blush:
Day 140 : No coffee today. :blush:

5 Likes

I kinda need advice/ a guide line. How long should you eat like no junk food, no processed sugary foods etc. Until you can slowly add your favorite (somehow also binge) foods into your life? Right now I can’t eat them in moderation because it ends up to binging, is it not right now it’s within a week or a month.

The only solution I have right now is to not buy them for awhile, create healthier habits and slowly add them back into my daily routine but idk. I need like a time range to fall back to. Anybody have any idea?

4 Likes

I am sure everyone’s journey will look different. Speaking just for myself, I cannot have any processed sugar or carb loaded foods around. They will lead to a binge and I simply cannot have them in my house. Being still under 90 days of sobriety, I won’t take the risk. You have to define what your sobriety looks like for you. Maybe seeking out a sponser through OA can help? No matter what I’m glad you are here and hope you find this forum as helpful as I do.

2 Likes

Thank you for being honest about your experience! I have to say with alcohol or something similar I can’t have it in the house either. I learned after many scary moments to still go to parties and say no to alcoholic drinks and to still have fun. It’s now (almost a year later) a little bit easier to go there and say no.

I have to say that it’s easier when you don’t have it in your house. Kinda strange thing with medications tho, I used to use them to get high (before I went to heavier stuff). Now almost a year later I can use them for in the evening to sleep (I have fibromyalgia) and I don’t do anything else with them even tho they are in my house. So some things I can do in moderation and some things I just can’t.

Idk with sugary foods. Maybe I have to review it indeed like within 6-12 months, when I feel like safe enough to in cooperate those kinda foods?

Personally when I was in my worst binge days, I would binge on almost anything that was nearby, including prepackaged low sugar diet foods. You know, like medifast? Yeah, I would binge on carbs/sugar too, but it was mostly anything I could get ahold of. So I didn’t bother too much with the sugar free route. I just did therapy+OA stuff and that seemed to help. If you do choose the sugar free route, it’s really up to you how long you go sugar free. It’s not going to be easy, though. You’re going to have to constantly check ingredients because sugar is in a lot of foods you may not expect it to be in. Good luck to you on your journey, we will support you no matter what recovery path you take. :purple_heart:

6 Likes

Day 805 : No binge today. :blush:
Day 141 : No coffee today. :blush:

5 Likes

Day 806 : No binge today. :blush:
Day 142 : No coffee today. :blush:

6 Likes

Day 807 : No binge today. :blush:
Day 143 : No coffee today. :blush:

4 Likes

I’m worried.

I have cut out gluten completely, and have spent more money on food because gluten free is more expensive.
But i am so much more hungry!
I’ve eaten more in the last couple days than i have any day in a long time. And I’m scared that it’s too much.
I don’t want to keep eating, but i don’t want to restrict.
:grimacing:

2 Likes

Day 808 : No binge today. :blush:
Day 144 : No coffee today. :blush:

5 Likes