Bipolar and sobriety

Has anyone on here been diagnosed with bipolar 2 and then tried to stay sober? I’m in my second attempt at sobriety I’m also taking disulfiram along with meds for bipolar and anxiety disorder…I guess I’m just feeling alone and in my head too much…

6 Likes

As far as I know there are a good few people here who have been diagnosed bipolar. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I don’t know anyone off the top of my head here. I know that at my meetings IRL, I have met a number of people in recovery with a dual diagnosis, including bipolar. While I know it isn’t much solace, just know that you are not the only one dealing with this.

Edit: Brain Dead I am. @Sober_Ninja also @Englishd

3 Likes

Hi I’m bi polar and found in sobriety things are alot more calm in my head . It was tough the first few months adapting not no in if my bi polar was playing up or it was my body getting used to being clean but I saw my doctor to explain every thing and changed meds dose slightly and I was balanced out . X

6 Likes

I go Thursday to see my psychiatrist …I’m in a pretty bad depressive state…I’m wondering if my meds may need to be adjusted since getting sober. I’m 38 days sober from alcohol…

4 Likes

I was undiagnosed until I was around 8 months sober. :grimacing: A few weeks after I quit drinking I had decided my moods were not normal, even for someone who quit drinking after so long.
It was impossible to get into a therapist, so I just did life one day at a time until I could get in. I was diagnosed bipolar1. It’s been just over 2 years since I started on medication. We have me where I need to be, finally.
Your meds will likely need adjusted, but your body and brain are going to continue changing and healing for a very long time, so your meds will probably be adjusted a few times in the future.
:hugs:
I believe @Englishd has weaned himself off of meds at this point.

6 Likes

Thank you…that makes me feel better. My bipolar meds haven’t been adjusted since last year so… I’ll check with my doc on thursday

4 Likes

Adjusting meds may help fight cravings, as well. I feel less inclined to partake now that I’m more stable.

5 Likes

Though i never liked the thought of admitting something as personal as this publicly, i do want to let you know you’re not alone.
I have bipolar disorder, have ptsd and major depression, and all of those coincide hardcore with addiction.
It is difficult as i have never been the type of person who follows the dichotomy of “misery loves company.”
When i am in pain, depressed or being a pain, i prefer to suffer alone.
Isolation and solitude can easily lead to addiction.
It’s rough and you have my condolences and my best wishes, because i know how hard it is

5 Likes

That means alot, thank you! Being bipolar and having bad depression is not fun…although some think we are just plain crazy…mental illness is no joke…I feel like in some ways I was self medicating…

1 Like

It is exactly that. Self medicating.
Using external influences to try to influence the feelings one feels inside.
But all it does is numb a person completely.
We’re more than our emotions and rambling thoughts, and it’s something i have to remind myself everyday.
Sometimes i forget to treat myself well or like a human being, so i am making sure i question every single thought and emotion that comes up during stressful moments instead of allowing them to become a firm belief.

3 Likes

I do wish you peace of mind and like another has suggested, if you wanna talk about it, DM me whatever is on your mind, whenever.
I’d be more than happy to listen

1 Like

Thank you for the insight. Just knowing I’m not alone in all this seems to help…I’ve tried AA and my anxiety gets the best of me and then I don’t go back…I live in Hawaii so most of the meetings are packed and make me a nervous wreck…however I am more committed to staying sober this time…just need to get mentally stable…

2 Likes

Yes along with severe Anxiety, Depression, PTSD and more… :flushed: I’m two years medication free and 650 days drug free… I don’t recommend that to ANYBODY as of right now though but my meds made me worse… My thoughts and prayers are with you… It’s a rough ride… :point_up::expressionless:

Congratulations on quitting alcohol… :slightly_smiling_face::tada::sparkler: Alcohol and Bipolar don’t mix well… :flushed::100:

4 Likes

Thank you! Congratulations to you as well! and boy how I know they don’t mix lol. I’m a totally different person on alcohol. Literally. :wink:

1 Like

Girl we got Bipolar 2… :flushed: We can go to the rest room and come back a different person… Happened to me just before Christmas… :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

My wife has just been diagnosed with bipolar 2 and although she doesn’t have a problem, per se, loves her wine. She’s been told it stops the meds working efficiently but is really struggling with finding ways to unwind on a weekend

1 Like

This is true. Lol

1 Like

I can understand that!

1 Like

Can I hop on this thread to ask how y’all were diagnosed with bipolar? I am wondering if I should ask my doctor about it, I have a meds review booked next month. I have only been to them about the prolonged feeling awful bits. Not sure if my highs are high enough to count as a type of mania though.