Bird watching

Happy to send you some :joy: They’re keeping my chickadees and finches away!

1 Like

I was wondering when my fellow bird watchers would show up on a thread!:grin: I have loved birds all my life and absolutely love all the awesome pictures on this thread. I have a special kind of connection with pelicans, living in San Diego all my life I get to see them and all their awesomeness on a daily basis. At the beginning of this year I finally got my backyard dialed in and put in a hummingbird feeder and a seed feeder. It was probably the best thing I ever did! I get so many different varieties and because of the placement I can sit and enjoy them without scaring them away. I have a bunch of pictures that I will start to share daily to keep this thread at the top! Thank you @aircircle for starting it and for all of your amazing pictures!

11 Likes

7 Likes

Stunning photos - what kind of camera do you use?

1 Like

Thank you! I love taking pictures😁 I have a Canon EOS Rebel SL1, nothing too fancy

1 Like

Pelicans are such cool birds. Wish we had them around here.

I had a hummingbird feeder for a while, maybe a month, but having to change out the solution 2x a week was just too much of a hassle. I would make my own by boiling up some sugar water. Can’t recall the ratio I had found.

1 Like

Lovely photos. I can’t say I’ve seen one in “real life”. Have any photos you’ve taken?

1 Like

I have some but need to transfer them to my phone. I don’t have any that are close up, mostly just flying majestically haha, but I will get some close ups soon🤙

1 Like

I like to think of them as the dinosaurs of the bird kingdom :grin: You must have had a bunch of hummingbirds to feed in your area, I change mine out a week and a half at a time. I use 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of sugar, now there’s a boss who chases others away haha

1 Like

I do have this I drew last year on my 3D art app😁

5 Likes

Awesome! Love the colours

1 Like

That sounds about the same as what I was doing.

You’d be surprised, only saw 1 or 2. Probably missed some though, as they’re so small. Also the jays in our woods kind of like to bully everyone

Edit: i just imagined if a pelican swooped in and picked up the blue jays in its…throat pouch? I have no idea what its called.

3 Likes

Lol! Throat pouch will work, I’ve heard bill pouch or fish handbag haha!

After I put up my seed feeder the squirrels started terrorizing my yard, then this guy showed up, no more squirrels! Hahahaha! Cant believe how close I was able to get😁

12 Likes

Not the best quality photo but snapped this pecker quickly just now through my dirty window lol

12 Likes

Haha sorry, it’s a red-shouldered hawk

1 Like

Baby Sparrow

8 Likes

What bird is this please? @Salty

This is a blue jay

I’ve never ever seen a picture of one but have heard of them they look similar to our blue tits. Thank you.