Bird watching

Thanks for the advice Ariel! :slight_smile:

Now we’ve had orioles, chickadees, cardinals, goldfinch, blue jays, doves, blackbirds. A few others I don’t recognize. Male and female of most of the species.

2 Likes

I do not have a photo, but every morning I ride my bike through this small little “oasis” and there are pretty little yellow warblers singing. Their little songs make me smile every time. I am so grateful for that part of my ride!

4 Likes

We have scrub jays here (CA), but I miss those gorgeous blue jays I saw in Michigan when I lived there.

Found a poor little baby where I’m house sitting. :cry:

Definitely too young to be out of the nest, but I haven’t been able to locate it. Do I go rummage around in nearby trees to find it, freaking out all kinds of bird families, or keep away so the parents come to take care of it? It’s not vocalizing for its parents that I can tell, but it does have some energy (it’s flopped about a foot since I’ve been observing).

It can’t be far from the nest, so have a look around at what is nearby that it could have fallen out of. If you can locate the nest, you can gently pick it up and put it back in the nest. That guy is too small to be out on it’s own. Birds don’t recognise their young by smell so the parents won’t be put off by your smell on it. Good luck!

4 Likes

Found the nest after all! And mama came immediately after I brought baby home. Good luck, little bird!

9 Likes

Great work!!! :two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts::bird::bird::bird:

2 Likes

My setup has evolved - the early photos at the start of the thread were with my camera phone. Then I got a Canon Rebel T6 and used a 50-250mm lens. Most recently, I got a 400-800mm lens - it’s a budget version, so it is entirely manual and I am still getting used to it, as it is challenging for moving subjects. But I am liking the photos with it if I can get the lighting right and if those silly birds stand still (never).

My grandpa was a huge bird enthusiast. Bird feeders everywhere, books, the camera, the works. He would drink in his “spot” and bird watch. Fond memories of him teaching me about birds. Wish I could remember most if it. Right now we have a second nest this year of robins under our deck. My four year old and I love checking on them.

Our last nest had four birds.

2 Likes

We came home from a long weekend trip to find that our birds have hatched!

3 Likes

Their eyes are open and we have feathers! Soon they will leave us…

Do Mudhens count

2 Likes

From a bike ride yesterday

5 Likes

5 Likes

8 Likes

I know I’m late to this post bit I LOVE that photo of the belted kingfisher!

2 Likes

This bird is a little out of their territory, but as hot as it has been recently, probably feels right at home

4 Likes

Beautiful :owl:

1 Like

8 Likes

I had a crow at work that would sit outside and wait for me, I’d bring a little snack. One day I couldn’t get out there in time I guess and he sat at the window watching me inside, he went from window to window! So cool, and smart.

3 Likes