Book Recommendations for Addiction & Recovery

Hello :wave: - My username is hitex and I’m new to this community! Quick intro - 40yo, female, Texan & alcoholic in recovery. My sobriety date is 11.01.2023. My addiction began in 2020, admitted inpatient 09.2022, followed by binge relapses & recently successfully completed a 40 day RTC. Currently I attend IOP 3 times weekly.

For the members here in recovery, what addiction & recovery books do you recommend?

In addition to the Big Book, Ive read the following:
Refuge Recovery - Noah Levine
Prodependence - Robert Weiss
In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts - Gabor Mate
Atlas of the Heart - Brene Brown
The Body Keeps the Score - Bessel Van der Kolk
You Can Heal Your Life - Louise Hay

I would love to hear of any written materials that anyone recommends!

4 Likes

Welcome!! You might find something from We Are The Luckiest by Laura McKowen. :people_hugging:

3 Likes
  • The Road Less Travelled - M. Scott Peck(Not directly addiction related, but really good and all about spiritual growth. Only things I didn’t like was the author’s view on God and religion directly, as I believe in God, and the author was kind of on the whole Buddhist spiritual growth is the path to becoming God train

• 12 Stupid Things That Mess Up Recovery - Allen Berger (And actually the whole series. 12 More Stupid Things, 12 Smart Things To Do When the Booze and Drugs Are Gone, and I think there are more.)

All those really helped me. I haven’t read all of the 12 stupid things series but what I have read was really good.
Hope this helps :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Damn it is one of the best books I’ve ever read!

Not Just in the category of books on addiction but of all books. Although it’s probably because of my history that Laura’s Words touched me so deeply I don’t know how “normies” react to that book.

I’ve cried a few times reading it.

The second one from her “push off from here” is also great

3 Likes

Agreed, I love both of her books too!!! I have read a lot of books like this, as well as many addiction / recovery memoirs and novels. Idk, there is just something about a recovery story that touches me deeply.

You may find some other gems here…

4 Likes

All of the above are great recommendations. I also like Belle Robertson 100 day Sober Challenge, and her website, tired of thinking about drinking.com. And Alcohol Lied to Me by Craig Beck.

2 Likes

Im reading “Push off from here” right now & Im hooked!

3 Likes

@SassyRocks @hitex I actually wrote a comment on one of Laura mckowens Instagram posts basically what I wrote on this thread and she liked my comment and answered “thanks :heart:” and it just made my day I’m such a fanboy for her :sob: still feels awesome that she took the time to read and answer my comment feels special :smile:

3 Likes

That is so cool!! She is pretty awesome!!

2 Likes

I recently found out spotify added some audiobooks to the premium subscription. I have been listening to Matthew Perry’s book and it is so sad. I have found some parts to be triggering but he talks openly about his addiction and multiple relapses.

3 Likes

I’ve read so many of the free audible ones too… If you have audible at all, check that out.

2 Likes

I’m reading his book currently. It was in our free work library where we share books. It’s been a few years since I made time to read a book. I’m enjoying it so far.

1 Like

Thursday morning, when I took the first step to sobriety I went on Amazon and found this book. It was supposed to come today, and it came
Last night. (Coincidence? Or Divine intervention) I read the first 115 pages because I couldn’t put it down. The first page literally grabbed me and didn’t let go. If anyone is new and looking for inspiration or maybe you are just looking for a NEW motivation I don’t know but all I can say is WOW. Just WOW.

8 Likes

Just downloaded the Audible version. Thank you. I look forward to listening.

1 Like

You’ll have to tell me what you think. I’m assuming it’s him narrating the book and he’s a Britt and very witty in written form I can imagine he’s equally so when you actually hear him speak! I hope you love it!

It’s really good. I thought it was well written and really showed the struggles of addiction. Listening to him read it was hard though. You could hear the pain in his voice.

1 Like

Oh wow! I didn’t realize he did his own reading. As I read the book, I can hear his voice in my head :heart:

1 Like

The audible book is not Sean Alexander that reads it.

It is narrated by Piers Sherwood-Roberts