Books to listen on audible

Hey there I used to love reading!!! Stepped away from it after kids exhausted life etc. anyway any recommendations? And what app do you use to listen to books on audio? Two year old destroys everything- so thought audio would be a good way to start. I’m also painting my room today so something to listen to while I work. Thanks!

I used to listen to audiobooks, as I drive a lot for work. Now I listen to Podcasts. There are serialized audio dramas in every genre you could imagine. I like Campfire radio theater (Mystery, Suspense, Horror). I enjoy Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History, The WWII History Podcast, The History of Rome podcast, and the Viking History Podcast. Topical podcasts I listen to are The Jocko Podcast The Modern Day Homesteader, Love What Matters, and Mike Rowe’s The Way I Heard It, and Fight For A Happy Life.

All are free, and I use the Spreaker Ap on my phone to access.

3 Likes

Thank you!!!

1 Like

Typically I read non fiction or based on a true story. My favorite book is The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. With that being said I love Harry Potter and lord of the rings movies lol!

I read fiction and listen to non fiction on audible, currently listening to the unexpected joy of being sober

1 Like

My husband is a History of Rome devotee!

2 Likes

Thank you! what app do you use? Is it the audible app?

Oh man now I’m curious!!! Exciting thank you!!!

1 Like

Yes, Amazon’s audible app :grin:

1 Like

Ok downloaded The Name of the Wind!! Eek I’m excited I haven’t felt this excited for a while lol :joy: I’ll pm you when I get into it.

2 Likes

Oh girl, I’m right there with you! I hope he does write the third book (I think he said it’s gonna be called “The Stone Door”). He has major anxiety issues, and maybe even bipolar. I also think he’s one of us. I’ve seen him talk about not drinking. It’s kind of a read between the lines thing.

2 Likes

Also, have you seen the 10th anniversary edition of Name of the Wind? That’s the one I read, and it’s beautiful!

2 Likes

You might want to suggest he listen to Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History “Celtic Holocaust” , which details Caesar’s conquest of Gaul.

1 Like

That sounds right up his alley. Thanks for the suggestion!

2 Likes

To be fair, the videos I saw indicated he doesn’t drink now (then). I got the impression he stopped about a year or two ago. So you’re in the clear on that one! I also don’t know if he’s an alcoholic. He said something along the lines of when he drinks, he turns into “angry Rothfuss.” Kind of played it off like a mental health thing, which it totally could be. But there was some hedging going on. Who knows!

I haven’t read it, I thought I bought it but done see it now. After Wise Man’s Fear I tried reading Steven Erikson, Gardens of the Moon. Nope, just nope.

2 Likes

At least your dealing with it now. I’ll bet your husband isn’t a saint, but I’m sure it feels like it sometimes. We are all human. It’s all about how we continue to live our lives now.

But yes, don’t meet your hero’s all fucked up. Good rule to live by. I would love to meet him. He is pretty open about mental health stuff, if you know what to look for. Seems so down to earth and real. One day… If he ever finishes the damn book!

2 Likes

Sought u out to tell you I listened to my first Jocko podcast on Thursday, because you’d recommended it earlier. I started my second one yesterday. Incredible stories shared! I’m currently listening to the one about Capt. Charlie Plumb and his P.O.W. experiences in Vietnam. Beyond inspirational… kind of no way to describe the impact of these stories. Previous one was about the Bataan Death March. Whoa.

2 Likes

A few of my favorite books: She’s Come Undone by Wally Lamb; Dora: a Headcase by Lidia Yuknavitch; Written on the Body by Jeanette Winterson; The Red Tent by Anita Diamant; The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

2 Likes

I’m glad you enjoyed it. I think hearing stories of ordinary people overcoming extraordinary circumstances can serve to motivate us to overcome the challenges we face.

I just finished the episode where Jocko covered the Rudyard Kipling poem “If”.

2 Likes

I’ve read The Red Tent. Used 2b an avid reader. Oprahs book list used 2b me friend. Heh. Then came smartphones and social media, etc. Besides reading books for book club for on here, it’s been a loooong time, since I’ve finished a book. Need to rediscover my interest in literature.

1 Like