Can AA become too addictive

Most people here have addictive personalities. Does there come a time when AA starts becoming addictive and all consuming. Does it start becoming the only focus you have in life. Ststistics prove that its worksfor many but can it also give you tunnel vision and make you a bit boorish if you overdo things. Simlar to what happens in some churches
Just asking and not slating a good thing.

2 Likes

I think anything can become addictive. This site, AA, m&m’s, animals, lovers, collections of things, TV shows, food, exercise. We can always end up immersing ourselves into something but balance and getting in tune with why we do what we do is key for me in my journey. Some things are healthier than others, just have to evaluate for yourself-professionals may offer better insight than I have though lol.

8 Likes

What Mandi said

3 Likes

This thread makes me wanna bring an old thread of my own back… Continuing the discussion from Always addicted?:

3 Likes

I am happy that AA works for many people. It is not for me.

I think the biggest thing about AA is that not every person in recovery knows how to a balance everything that goes on in their life. So some people spend a lot of their time and AA and other things may start to fall off the Wayside because they need to focus on their recovery but they’re also not good at doing two things at once. The best thing that I ever did for my recovery was learn how to say no and that no was a complete sentence. People tell you you’re not supposed to say no to service but sometimes if it means taking care of you and your family and your job than all the other things that need to be handled first sometimes you have to say no. For me by doing that I was able to do really well in the Navy fix my credit buy a house save money but at the same time I still managed to do my part and service and in my recovery I was able to find the right balance for me but everybody’s different. So find your balance and find a system that works well for you and stay on schedule especially in early sobriety because that’s essential💪

7 Likes

That’s plausible. I think it has less to do with addictive personality, per se, and more to do with finding something that has literally changed and saved their life though. I’d get all up in that if I’d have died but found a new way to live.

I’m in AA. It may have saved my life, and surely is making it better. Someone wants to talk about it, I’m down.

I’m also down with any program that saves lives though.

Really… I dunno. It’s easy to get excited about something that made one’s life better, and all those experiences are cool.

2 Likes

Get yo ass to escypaa!

2 Likes

AA saved my life and made me a better person to cope with it, i have a good happy family life lovely wife two giants for sons nice guys they dont drink or smoke ,havnt got a morgage house paid for three cars in the drive plus my ford transit van ,have three vacations a year seen most of the world still go to meeting not as many as i used to ,so as Shinhiryuu says if that Boorish then so be it ,and what do i know only been sober since 1986 before some of you were born

2 Likes

But can you give all the Kudo’s to AA, surely you will power, wife, family etc all played a huge part. AA helps thats not the question, but can one overdo ones participation in the program

1 Like

I was 9 years sober when i met my wife AA was in my life well before i got married and had children ,and i dont think one can overdo the program

2 Likes

I’ve been taught that a big part of my program is to reach out and help others, alcoholic and non-alcoholic alike. I really don’t see how it’s possible to do that too much. AA isn’t just a group of drunks (well it is) but it’s also my family.

3 Likes

Here’s the thing. I tried for years to get sober with my own will power, live for my husband and family, read self help books, get therapy… and my alcoholism worsened.

I got sober with AA. Do I do AA things to the exclusion of my family? No. Do I realize that I’m no good to my family if I am not sober? Yes. Therefore, I prioritize my involvement in AA. Is it an addiction? Doesn’t meet the definition. Even if it was, it’s not one that is going to kill me.

4 Likes

I should be there, but I might be on orders in Mississippi next summer, :weary: idk yet bro

Escypaa is tomorrow!

Oh well definitely ain’t making that lol vsycpaa is in a week and then I’m going to alcypaa :yum:

I read that as eacypaa hahaa I’m tired :sleeping::open_book:

1 Like