Can I drink like a “normal” person?

Yes I was able to drink normally. I quit for a little over a year. I then decided I was able to drink normally. I had no problem whatsoever. However normally for ME is at least 8 drinks a day during the week and then about 15 or so on a weekend day. Nailed it!

I’m now on day 786 again of being sober. I like it much better this way.

17 Likes

Really well said! I was the exact same as you… didn’t drink during the week, ate healthy, exercised… then the weekend I was generally a total mess (vomit, embarrassments etc).

I needed to read what you said too… and it’s also SO true. I don’t have the power to end at one… it sometimes feels unfair that other people can but it’s SO much better being able to remember and enjoy every moment sober and never again have to wake up with the panic from what we might have done

7 Likes

Same! then if I drank on special occasions I’d totally ruin them by being a drunken mess. Those weddings, birthdays etc I’d got so excited for and spent time getting dressed up for… ruined by being a total drunk

6 Likes

I have the same thoughts as you brother. I’m actually at an addiction and recovery center right now. I spoke with a few friends yesterday and I told them that I was in a better place mentally and was sure I was going to have a drink when I got out, but simply “manage” it this time. After reading a bit about what people have to say, I’m starting to think that’s not such a great idea

7 Likes

I tell myself I can do this, like only drink on the weekends or only have a couple beers and for me its an absolute no and its hard because of course I want to but no. Its a slippery slope

I’ve never in 45 years of drinking ever had 1or 2 drinks. Always 4 or 5 or 10. Not that I can remember anyway. I wonder why I’d think I’d be able to do that now?

3 Likes

Fuck no, hell the fuck no, that’s basically just suicide. You’re not strong enough to drink withoutot relapsing, no one is. If you think you’re strong enough, you’re simply lying to yourself. Please don’t ever drink booze, you’re guaranteed to relapse, get a bad state of mind and hate yourself, because you thought you could do one drink

6 Likes

To me, moderation doesn’t exist. It may seem like a feasible option at first, but you’re just setting yourself up for the fall.

2 Likes

:joy::rofl::scream:
I’m sorry I don’t mean to laugh but your spot on. No beating around the bush there. I love it. And I’ve tried it so many times and always 100% failed. Perfect track record.

1 Like

Oh and I forgot. Each time I tried I did hate myself. I haven’t beaten myself up once since being sober. And that is a good feeling. Can’t say that when you’re drinking can ya?
:pray:t2::heart:

1 Like

Don’t know about the drinking part personally, am certain you’ll hate yourself then tho. For me it’s gaming, I’m nearly half a year clean on my first attempt and I know that while I was still gaming a hated myself, I was in a strange place, because I wasn’t suicidal, yet I wanted myself to die because such a horrible being shouldn’t be allowed to live. But now I’ve forgiven myself and I can honestly say that I’m proud of myself :slight_smile:

1 Like

The difference between wisdom and experience is experience is learning from our own mistakes, wisdom is learning from the experiences of others. I’d rather be wise than experienced.

You’ve decided to be better, and now you are better. Keep getting better at getting better each and every day. Better today than you were yesterday, and tomorrow better still!

4 Likes

Reminds me of something I heard in the rooms this week: “what’s going to be different or what lie have you told yourself” The addicted brain wants us to think we can moderate but it’s cunning, baffling and powerful. And from what I’ve seen, it’s never ended well. We also quit for a reason, usually a ton of reasons, but it’s easy to forget that when all is going in the right direction finally. This addiction of course tries to pull is back in. Doing whatever it takes to stay sober today is my priority #1 because without that, I’ll ultimately lose everything. A beverage isn’t worth that to me.

2 Likes

Do you know how many times I’ve said to myself “I can drink like a normal person”, well to many to count! Truth is we can’t drink like normal people. Here I am again getting sober and doing the right thing. I’ve relapsed so many times and each time it gets worse. I want to live my life sober and happy.

2 Likes

Yeah after those happy days you will hit the wall… Take 30 to understand what your body and mind will go true the coming period.

Good luck on your path.

Topic: How it works physical - Roadmap to recovery

1 Like

i highly recommend reading chapter 3 of the Big Book here: https://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt3.pdf

scroll to page 31 in particular.

5 Likes

I asked myself the same question, tried it, found the answer was a definite NO. Now I am a non-drinker. I won’t drink because I don’t drink. Moderation is not a reality. Sober life = our best life, for sure! :raised_hands::blush:

1 Like

Scott, If you are alcoholic the answer to your question is a big HELL NO… not under any circumstances can you drink like a normal person. If you think for one second that you can then that is your addiction being baffling and cunning. Stay on guard my friend… But for the grace of God go I

1 Like

“Can you drink like a normal person?”

You know the answer to that question mah dude. Stop kidding yourself.

4 Likes

We all had this question in the beginning man. It’s pretty normal to wonder this.

Here’s a quick read. Might answer some of these questions for ya. https://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt3.pdf

I’m glad you’re here pal.
Keep coming back!!

3 Likes