Channelling my inner teenager

Teenage Sarah didn’t drink!

I was very depressed and painfully shy, but I did have passions that seem to have faded away since then. My drinking made me forget things, forget how to be, behave and think. It made me think I didn’t have time.

But that was a lie and now is the time to get my passions back!

Drawing and painting
Listening to loud music by obscure bands
Playing the guitar badly
Knitting badly
Creative writing
Walking for miles
EDIT: Reading ghost stories, crime novels and books of horror films I love

I’ll let you know how things go!

What are you rediscovering?

17 Likes

I’ve got my sports bug back.

Back doing all the things I loved pre drinking.

Great to see you planning getting your life back.

4 Likes

My teenager years are a blur sometimes but the clearest things I remember are my lessons with Mrs. Bass, my private voice instructor. That feeling of awe when we would song together.
I love/miss singing.

1 Like

Love the “badly” lol. We may not have been good but we tried. I ceased trying lots of stuff when I started drinking.

I thought I wanted to be “the man” and alcohol gave me the replacement courage instead of using my old fashioned guts. I’ve come to the conclusion I don’t want to be the lead singer, just the drummer or bassist or not Lebron but the 6th man, like a version of Danny Manning. I want to be a team player and add to those around me. Being in the middle of the herd is my spot.

Back into my sports and physical activities like basketball and walking or hiking, back to showing up to work everyday and bringing home the bacon, literally and figuratively haha. I’d like to possibly journal, I think I’m somewhat creative but not overly so.

1 Like

That’s great. And sport can be so uplifting :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s lovely. Will you go back to singing?

1 Like

Mmmm bacon… :wink:

It’s the little things, isn’t it. I bet journalling is very cathartic.

1 Like

Well I kind of sing for my job but I’d like to be performing on a stage again. But I don’t know where hmmm

1 Like

Where would I be without bacon… I shudder to think

2 Likes

No doubt Man, and it tastes a lot better sober too…damn near orgasmic! Lol

2 Likes

Wow, I’m impressed :slight_smile:

1 Like

:bacon: I know right

2 Likes

I enjoy taking the dogs on walks much more often now. Just being outside in general I enjoy a lot

2 Likes

Yes, fresh air and pets :slight_smile:

It’s starting to warm up here so looking forward to some long walks.

1 Like

First thing I thought when I read the title was eww why would you ever want to go back there? :laughing: But I do see what you mean though. I was exactly the same when I was a teenager, depressed, anxious, but could say no to a drink and still had my passions. When I was still drinking, I couldn’t work out where the passions had gone, I just thought something was wrong with me. But they’re back now I’m sober and it’s like that foggy cloud has lifted and I can experience life properly again. I’m discovering my love for cooking again, I’ve actually started using my sewing machine that’s been sitting there for like 4 years. That hunger to learn is back, that I thought I had just grew out of.Its a great feeling.
Hope it goes well for you!

1 Like

this is my first project I’ve ever successfully crocheted. The photos don’t do it justice but I love it! I literally can’t do anything in a straight line so check out Granny Squares if you haven’t, that’s where I totally finally got it after trying since I was a kid lol

4 Likes

Oh god, not literally haha.

Cooking is great. I fine the thought of making something really occupies my mind.

1 Like

Wow I love it! Those colours are beautiful!

2 Likes

Just adding archery to my list.

Begginer lessons in 4 weeks!

1 Like

Oh my god, hahaha hahaha ha, I came 2nd in my archery beginner class! And I got a medal!

They kept calling me Katniss Everdean…

2 Likes