Checking in daily to maintain focus #40

It’s funny bcuz ur at 2 weeks (which is a huge congratulations by the way), but around the 2 week mark I believe, I remember feeling that foggy, disoriented feeling. I remember being really “off”. It’s good to remember that u didn’t pick up tho bcuz ur body is still clean and sober. I think our minds get weird sometimes due to healing. I’m not a dr so I don’t know why it happens lol but it doesn’t last thankfully :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Hello guys. Checking in day 6.
Hope you have a great day.
Peace.

19 Likes

Pretty much. From around noon to 7pm most days.

1 Like

Yes it’s normal going to have alot of foggy moments, we had those foggy moments in addiction as well but are brains were so fogged by the drugs and alcohol we didn’t even notice it. Sober you notice everything… best thing I heard was it took you ten years to walk into the woods, it’s gonna take you ten years to walk out. Meaning can’t expect to be cured in 6 months bc that’s how I was I always said that to my sponsor man dick im 8 months sober why don’t I feel better or cured yet lol

4 Likes

It’s the weather up here. Been feeling the same way. Go from a foot of snow to 60 and raining overnight is crazy. Best wishes for ya friend and if you need anything give a holler.

2 Likes

Day 8

So after long break trying to get back to running. After last years 2 half marathons in a row I think I over-trained and that actually lead me to feeling bad and relapse after about 2-3 months of sobriety. I knew it was bad idea to continue on Virtual United Airlines NYC Half Marathon March 20-28 but I think my ego did not let me to stop and that actually was where I failed with my 12 Steps.
giphy

17 Likes

I stand firm my friend, I hope you too!

2 Likes

Yes thank you!! I made a lot of excuses because id only rarely get wasted
but I have no idea who i am going to be or what hindsight i am going to have 90 days, a year from now. That is terrifying but at least i know now.

1 Like

Yes! Eventually my cravings passed. Now I’m glad I made it through those rough few hours. Still sober!

4 Likes

Checking In
Clean Time: 11 Days

Today was all about the present moment and self care. :white_heart: I didn’t have work today, and my daughter is with her father. This really allowed me to focus on myself mentally, physically, and spiritually. :crossed_fingers:t4:

• I cleaned my house.
• Attended a recovery meeting at noon.
• Made a gratitude list.
• Worked out for an hour.
• Showered and actually got myself ready and feeling good.
• Meditated for 15 minutes. Not long, but I have ADHD and am working my way up. :rofl:
• In 45 minutes I will do my final recovery meeting of the day.
• Then finally tackling the laundry situation. :grimacing: After that I’m playing video games for the rest of the night. :video_game::yellow_heart:

It really is just taking a bit of time here and there to choose something positive in that moment. At the end of the day when looking back it all adds up and emotionally you are feeling pretty good. :innocent:

21 Likes

Sooo Happy for you ! We were both posting alot at the same time I found this forum and you and a few others were some of the first I interacted with. I know you were really stessed a few days ago and didn’t see your posts for a few days. I was worried something had happened. That’s why I am sooo happy to be reading your updates today. Have an awesome “You” night :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Day 77 today, had a great day at the football with a mate and his kid. Was an away day too which before would of been your typical football away day session on the beer from early morning, but stayed clean and still loved the game! My first sober birthday tomorrow in 12 years so looking positive towards another day tomorrow.

Stay strong guys and girls, there’s great times without drink!

23 Likes

My wife and I are going to meet up with my co-worker in about an hr so, at some pizza and brew spot. Everyone’s going to be drinking, but it doesn’t even bother me anymore. Ima have a Dr. Pepper.

I’m excited too. I don’t have to worry about driving buzzed or starting drama.

Stay strong!

Day 154

16 Likes

Thank you. We actually have 3 with reactive attention disorder which is typical from orphanage kids. We actually were not approved for FAS because we purposely left that off because we knew the patience needed and the one on one attention, but the orphanage lied to us.

2 Likes

21 Likes

Thank you. I just read this as I was checking in because it’s just past 4:30 and this is when I normally be pouring myself a drink as we’re getting ready to go out for an evening… I’m finding it super hard right now. I know it’s going to pass I’m going to wait till 5:00 and see how I feel and then I’m going to check in. I can make it till 5:00 right just make it till 5:00… I’ll check in again in about 20 minutes. So glad you posted I needed to see that I know I can stay strong I know I can…

2 Likes

U and ur wife are amazing people!! Children who are hurting or who have been neglected or abused, often need that extra support. I’m not a psychologist or an expert on RAD but from what I can tell u are doing the right things. Children with RAD often have a very hard time developing meaningful relationships with their caregivers (as u may already know). And they often have trouble managing emotions and can sometimes seem anxious or fearful. But really u seem to be doing the right things. It just takes alot of patience and work to build that trust. I was taught that it is helpful for caregivers to build healthy relationships with children who suffer from RAD by setting limits, and keeping calm in tense situations as well as showing consistent love. Its tough for them BUT it is also tough on you both also. I really hope that support has been provided to u. Burn out is high for many caregivers (its no one fault it just can be hard).
It find it awful how the orphanage lied to u about the child’s diagnosis. It’s unfair to u and the child as everyone needs to be on the same page to know what is needed and what supports are required for the person to be successful. I worked with an adult 8 years ago (he just turned 18 and had came to live in the halfway house I worked at). He had FAS and had been in and out of the justice system for a long time. He could be the sweetest guy you ever met, but within an instant he was very violent and abusive. Threats and physical and verbal abuse, property damage. It can be scary. You both have been thru alot and I commend you both for wanting to help change the trigectory of a person’s life :purple_heart: I just wish their was more support for the children ur helping and also for YOU. Has anyone provided support for you both as well? I’m sorry this is so long. Mental health has always been a passion of mine. I’ve been working in the mental health/disability field for 12 years. And I often found that there just needs to be more support all around.

3 Likes

Day 18 of no self harm.

My god my family is driving me insane. I’m leaving soon. I had to listen to all of their really fucked up opinions all day. For example, there was an article about a man opening fire on a camp of homeless people. Two of my uncles said they don’t blame him and would do the same if it wouldn’t send them to jail.

Just going to push through tonight and play games until I pass out from exhaustion. I really can’t give my brain the chance to wander right now.

17 Likes

Hi Kat here checking in late on Day 227.

Crashed hard today after all the early mornings of work, I feel bad cause I have my 3 youngest over (13, 12, and 8) and wasn’t really present for them. Promised them I’d be awake tomorrow and so I will, if I wake up and drink caffeine I am ok. That is kind of shitty because I know caffeine is a drug, but well I feel I need some kind of stimulant to function.

Did hit a meeting on Zoom tonight and just getting ready to sleep again. See you all in the morning, promise!

Love Kat

20 Likes

Nothing hateful in trying again :purple_heart:

2 Likes