Virtual United Airlines NYC Half Marathon March 20-28, 2021

So yesterday I registered into another Half Marathon. This time it is ‘‘Virtual NYC HALF’’
Maybe any long distance runners here wants to join? Few runners already joined and @Tomek suggested to open a thread for this race? We could discuss the trainings and stuff with everyone who may also join.

REGISTER BELOW :arrow_heading_down:

Please don’t try run races without preparation!
I always remind people that this is not a type of ‘‘I want to do it now’’ experience and half marathon requires more than few months of preparation even 10K and sometimes 5K requires a lot of physical preparation.
If You are new for running I highly recommend these lectures to learn the basic principles:

Named “The World’s Best Coach” by Runner’s World magazine; Jack Tupper Daniels (born April 26, 1933) is an exercise physiologist, running coach and a coach of Olympic athletes.

3 Likes

Who’s in?
@Eleven17?

2 Likes

What time result would you like to achieve? Will you run it on flat terrain or with elevation?

1 Like

Just after run. Currently planning my new racing track, because the one I planned before for 21k did big mistakes.

On the red square zone on kilometer ± 8 - to 14 there is forest and it has lots of difficult roads and hills. Also we have lots of snow this winter so it was very hard road down through Hydroelectric Power Station. It is very beautiful road but I made big mistake by adding those locations on winter season. Not sure what weather conditions we will have after month so already started planning alternative roads.

My first Half Marathon time was 1:52:56
This time I runned 23 kilometers and the time was 2:45:something but really counting time after I reached that hilly zone was pointless. Also I did not fueled at all and had no hydration with me. I think on better conditions I could do something like 2 hours 10 or 2:20 something like that. Not sure. Never really aim for time as priority.

What is Your goals and PR’s ?

1 Like

I ran yesterday, so I skipped today.
I haven’t picked up any route for the race yet, I have three ideas for it, but I want to avoid big elevations, so I will have to check them in the next few weeks, or at least check out the map’s data. Hills kill me, they just take my powers out of me. Also there is a hill next to the place I live and usually I go there to run, so it would be nice to run on flat terrain this time.
It would be great to finish around 2 hours, but I’m afraid it will take more time as I will have just six weeks to prepare.
It would be great to run at an actual race with fellow runners and supporters, it would give a lot of energy and boost when a deadlock comes.
What is a PR?

2 Likes

That sucks.
How will you ensure food and water during the race? Will you have a backpack?

1 Like

PR - Personal Record.
Yes running with others gives more drive and energy! I remember on my first marathon on the last 5 or 3 kilometers I joined a group of more experienced runners who did far more than one Half and it helped me a lot to keep a good pace - so the time was 1:52:56 - that’s my PR :medal_sports:

As for hydration and food I think I will take a gummies or running gel - something like that. I’m planning to experiment with running food on my next long runs. Not sure about water. It gives weight and I dont have special belts or something. Maybe I will take a small bottle; idk. But I am pretty sure if to take water than with electrolytes or isotonic or hypotonic properties as it hydrates much better :point_up:

2 Likes

My personal best was 2:03, never could go under 2 hours. But I drank and smoked that time a lot, once I even smoked 2 cigarettes right before the start of a 28 km race. So I do hope being sober will make long distance to run a bit easier. On the other hand I got older, so maybe I will just be happy to be alive afterwards.
I never tried any gels, I don’t know yet, what to bring and how to solve hydration. I will also have to be more mindful with my diet in the next month I guess.

2 Likes

That race was my longest distance.
Thanks for the video! Yeah, I probably will try some stuff beforehand and be prepared. I also should check out the route. I was thinking and probably will choose the one in the forest with a bit but not too big elevation. I will choose a 5 km segment and run along back and forth a bit more than four times. This way I can split it in my mind and estimate the distance better.

3 Likes

I’m in! Just registered. How do u guys map out your course? 13.1 miles in 2.5 hours last year.

3 Likes

Actually I just downloaded strava because of this race, I haven’t tracked my runs before, I was sceptical about taking a cellphone with me, because I thought it would pull my pants down.
Before I moved here I knew the distance of the route I used to run on, so I just used my stopper to measure speed.

1 Like

yes I’m in!

3 Likes

So, started to experiment with fueling :fuelpump:
First of all, the backpack was bad idea. It was moving a lot and bouncing to my right elbow. It disturbed my concentration so after about 3 kilometers I put it in my pocket and was holding bottle in my hand. Not that bad. Maybe smaller bottle would be better option since I only drinked less than half bottle. Swedish Fish was not that bad, but on about -17C they got very hard to chew. Oh! - and my bottle neck actually did get frozen :smiley: - I was in need to crack that neck with my teeths to get some hidration :smiley: it was fun. Next time I will try something less sinthetic because it did upset my stomach a bit.

Overall fuelling really uploads a boost of energy but after eating and drinking there is some worsening.
Opera Snapshot_2021-02-07_150849_www.strava.com

2 Likes

wow, 16 km for workout in -17C? Niiice :metal:

Yeah, I can imagine, that that backpack moves a lot while running. There are special ones for runners, they cling to the back more, so they don’t jump up and down that much:

I don’t have any experience with them, but see a lot of runners use it.

Here there will be like 10-12C at the end of March, so I guess I won’t need a lot of water. If you have so cold climate, you probably won’t need much either.

What is Swedish fish? Is it actual fish?!

2 Likes

Today I went running, but had to return, because the whole road was covered in ice, even walking isn’t safe in such conditions.
So I worked out, especially on leg, took a cold shower and ate some eggs and such, so at least I did what I could. I hope tomorrow the conditions will be better.

1 Like

I am tempted to join. But atm my motivation is a bit low to run these distances. Last half marathon I remember was back in 2018 still drinking preparation consisted of 30 min running in total the weeks before. Finished in 2hrs but was suffering a lot the days afterwards. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Haha I love Swedish Fish… they are like a more chewy gummy bear… I love the green ones…yum
Check these out. I bring with me on long distance runs…

@zzz
@anon74766472
@Eleven17

3 Likes

Yes! I love the Gatorade Chews too!

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation! I will check them up but may choose something else instead, as my teeth are pretty sensitive and I don’t like to chew.
Any idea for more soft stuff that can energize?
I was thinking about banana, granola bar and such.

I think depending on my glycemia I wouldn’t eat at all. I always have haribo minis with me which I can calculate easily.

2 Likes