Checking in daily to maintain focus #54

@CATMANCAM Thanks – dealing with the symptons at a odaat basis. Yeah to getting your patches and getting your new glasses. :sunglasses:
@Scorpn I love hearing that being sober has become a part of your life and takes less effort these days – So inspiring! :muscle:
@XXIX the healing process takes long and the guilt and anxiety creep up to make us doubt ourselves and our choices. You are being honest about how you feel (which is hopefully helping you heal) and I am not finding you to be negative. Be well my friend. :hugs:
@SoberWalker I like the “winewitch” yeah the thoughts that I could be chilling with a cold beer or take a nice hot bath with a glass of wine (even know my mind saying bottle not glass) keep creeping into my head – well I know I can still do the things and do them with other drinks that will not affect me during or afterwards. Thank you – I don’t think we can get enough reminders to enforce these ideas.
@Mno congrats on what will be another of many breakthroughs on your journey. I am pleased to hear that you were able to have a chitchat out of the blue with a stranger. That is huge. Also – great on you for acknowledging the urge and moving on from it. I think you may be right – the warmer weather and more outdoor activity could be bringing on the urges. Have to be more mindful of them now.
@PinkyP Don’t be disheartened – 19k is a great start and now you can sign up for the same challenge in June — Every step is a step to a healthier you.
@Sabrina80 so so happy to see your post today and hear you are doing better!
@Marc this is a huge start my friend – way to go! 3 weeks and getting through a barbecue weekend. So excited for you!
@SimonSick man that sounds like a dreadful party while trying to start your sobriety journey. So glad that you enjoyed what you did and were able to leave when it became too much. It’s unfortunate but I now know that I have to bring my own na drinks to a party (not comparing the two but I’ve always had to bring food / snacks so that I would have something to eat at social events and now I just have to add on the beverages :blush: ) Hey huge congrats on the 18 days
@Butterflymoonwoman I’m sorry your son is sick - I do hope its nothing serious and can be healed at home… sending healing vibes my friend.

Checking in Sunday afternoon (was about to say morning but its 12:06 - Yikes)
I did not sleep well at all last night so tried to stay in bed longer with my eyes closed but that did not work. Have new pains that are causing it difficult to focus and breathe. It will take a minute to get used to and understand how to navigate with them but for the moment I am exhausted and trying to do whatever i can without movement to keep me distracted. :rofl: More comedy on the agenda… :joy:
It’s beautiful and sunny outside but too hot for me to be outdoors so I’m enjoying from my cozy indoors. I am surrendering to the HP and I know that today will turn out better than it started… Have a wonderful sober Sunday my friends… sending much love :heart:

18 Likes

Day 195.

Over in my hometown Liverpool this afternoon. An old friend is home from Australia.

Went to the pub to see Everton escape relegation. I’m red. He’s blue. But so many of my friends and family support the Toffees I’d have to be terribly bitter not to have supported them today. Life is far too short for all that bitterness nonsense.

Drinking didn’t cross my mind. It’ll be another sober day. My only gripe is the lack of choice of non alcoholic beer in boozers. I’m very fond of Erdinger Alkoholfrei, but I rarely see that in the pub. They give you a free cold can at the end of the Manchester Marathon and I’ve rather fallen for it. Oh my, me and my middle class problems…:joy:

15 Likes

Congratulations to Everton, was pleased they stayed up. Didn’t enjoy watching Spurs ensure Leeds went down although it was a brilliant send off for Moura. I will miss him.

Really pleased that the whole experience didn’t trigger cravings for you, that is really impressive.

5 Likes

Checking in sober but feeling in danger of drinking. I’ve been in severe pain. I’m depressed. When I’m depressed I feel worthless and give up on myself. What’s the point? Everything is already shit. I want an escape. I’m home by myself with no real plans for the weekend.

12 Likes

Oh deer. Sorry about Leeds. I would have been gutted for my mate if Everton had gone. I think I had 5 zero beers. Driving home with a clear head felt good…as did Willow’s enthusiastic welcome home (my dog). A walk in the park to end the day felt perfect. I bloody love England on a bright, spring evening. :grinning:

4 Likes

Oh babe im so sorry you are not finding relief from your physical and mental pain.

Drinking will not make the shit go away. It will make it worse! You know this deep inside but that fucking addict is twisting it around. You can survive this.
Are you able to take to a doctor about pain management? Watch something funny - ive found it instantly lifts my mood and my pain is less noticeable. Check out the Make Me Laugh. Tell me a joke thread — just to get you started
The point is that you are siber - you are early in your sobriety si please give it time. Things will get better but you have to put in the work.
Can you log onto an online meeting? Can someone come over and keep you company. Make a phone call? You are not aline in this.
Please do not look for answers in the bottle - you will not find any there.:people_hugging::pray::heart:

7 Likes

Ah mate, you’ve been sober for 4 years and understand how good that feels. I relapsed after about 4 months and I’m back up to 6.5 now. I feel stronger for knowing I just don’t like alcohol. The slip just made that more obvious. Focus on what you’ve achieved and what you didn’t like about drinking when you relapsed. And keep saying ‘hi’ here for support. You got this. :grinning::grinning:

6 Likes

Im glad u checked in Karen. Im so sorry to hear that ur in SO much physical and emotional pain. Is there anything healthy u can do that helps to relieve some of this pain? Im not sure what coulf work for u

Things may not be great in ur world right now but the cycle will continue if u pick up a drink. U have greater chances of feeling better if ur sober. It may take some time but as long as u stay on this path of sobriety, ull have a chance of this happening.

Can you make plans with someone or plan a few activities for urself to do to keep u occupied? Might make not drinking abit easier.

6 Likes

To be honest Leeds are one of my least favourite teams, but never nice to see fans upset.

Agreed, favourite time of year here. Makes me want to be in a tent and to slow life down.

2 Likes

So sorry Karen, and well done for checking in. I do understand wanting to take the pain away but it will just be a distraction and delaying/compounding the pain. How are you feeling now?

5 Likes

30 days AF. I don’t feel much like celebrating and I still have my chip from the first time. Today my mood has been :boom::tornado::cloud_with_lightning_and_rain::umbrella: and I’ve been thinking a lot about how “nice” it would be to have a drink. We went to have a (delicious) Thai food lunch today and drove by an Irish pub and I mourned that I’ll never be able to have fun in a pub again. I know this is diseased thinking. I know I’d have a couple drinks and we’d have fun and then I’d go home and drink myself into oblivion, waking up at 3am feeling sick and ashamed. No thank you!

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice about my sponsor. I might try to have a convo this week about needs but I’m dreading it. Anyway I hope everyone is having a great sober weekend . I’m proud of the folks who’ve been in situations with alcohol and protected themselves and their boundaries. That takes a lot of courage and strength :yellow_heart::yellow_heart::muscle::muscle:

14 Likes

idk. nothing wrong really, there is nothing going through my head at the moment except I want to be dead. sometimes I just get these moments where it takes everything in me to not self harm or off myself. i have to physically sit on my hands because I feel so out of control that I don’t know what I’ll do in the next minute. I’m so tired of fighting this.

6 Likes

i don’t belong here. I’ve never used substances, I self harm. I’ve never felt unwelcome but I’m not in the same boat as everyone else here.

8 Likes

Oh beautiful girl -

:sob: I’m so sorry that you feel this way – and please note that self harm is an addiction and you are here to try and better yourself. Refraining from self harm is just as exhausting and takes the same will power as trying not to score or take the next drink.
You are so young and have so much to LIVE for. I am so sad to hear your words and want to give you a huge hug.
Are you recovered from the operation? Maybe spending so much time alone recovering has gotten these voices a chance to get louder. Are you able to call on your friend that helped you that night you were having trouble sleeping? Get into socializing - be it over phone / here on the threads / in real life … can you open up the windows and let in the fresh air? Go for a walk - stimulate your senses?

Everyone has a different way of getting out of self harm. It takes time and a reset of your mind. Finding love in yourself and your surroundings. Are you able to talk with someone (a therapist - can’t remember if you already are)?
I am sending you so much love my friend - hoping that you do find the strength to fight this!
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :people_hugging: :muscle:

8 Likes

Congratulations on making it to the 30 day milestone.

4 Likes

Checking in. Day 233

16 Likes

WOWZERS - 30 days of sobriety! way to go.

Isn’t it funny that we “mourn” putting poison in our bodies? How we still crave this addiction and romanticize it when it did nothing but FUCK us up in every way possible. You are kicking ass and I hope that you continue to do so. Hey - we can still go out dancing and to the pub - just enjoy a different beverage and come out with our wits intact :muscle: :hugs:
Wishing you luck with having the talk and finding a sponsor that fits your needs.

8 Likes

You do belong here. Speaking for myself and probably everyone else…we are all fighting an ugly part of our lives we wish we could eliminate. Sometimes all I can do is know I am so much better not continuing down the same road I have been on.

I care you are here. Howdy and take it 1 moment at a time​:bouquet::lollipop::hugs:

6 Likes

I’m still pretty much stuck on the couch from surgery, I can’t do anything then the bare minimum like getting up to get food or a drink. I’m currently talking with a few people online trying to connect and hopefully make friend

7 Likes

Yeah - I had a hunch that the recovery from the surgery would have you more isolated than usual.

I am here - you can PM if you’d like to chat. You can scroll the threads and get some laughs on the Make Me Laugh. Tell me a joke or the Meme Wars 73 No Politics Please thread. I’m sure many more fun threads here.
Can a friend come over and hang with you while you stay on the couch? Make sure you are getting some fresh air into your room. I know when I’m down and stay in bed and don’t open window or curtain that my mind can spiral very quickly - - small changes make a huge difference.
Much love my friend - you will recover and we are here for you!

8 Likes