Checking in daily to maintain focus #60

Congratulations very much, a great record, a new life!, Enjoy it!

3 Likes

I am checking for day 419. Still can not believe it.
I have overtaken several milestones like being in a weeding, social dinners, going to football pitch, etc. all of them without alcohol.

Still remains going out with friends. I think I am ready but it is hard to answer the awful question, ā€œwhy do not you drink?ā€.

I am very happy and, at this moment, I do not want to deal with temptation. Being sober is very very worthwhile.

Kind regards.

21 Likes

I so hear you @Mno,
especially working in a social job is exhausting at times. You have so much to give Mennno but you have to take care of yourself as well.
Iā€™m working as a nurse too and I have my adult sons close by and my dad too. Heā€™s fine and doesnā€™t need extra support yet but heā€™s living alone too since my mum died 13 years ago at the age of 59 and he love to have my company and I feel forced to look after him although he would never expect it.
So I am sometimes feel deflated and exhausted and just want to sit on my sofa and donā€™t want to talk at all. And to be honest I take some days off of family :wink:
But after all I donā€™t have much of a social life too. Itā€™s all work and family and sleep and repeat. I really have to focus on that as I guess it is unhealthy in a way.
So I hope you can get in touch with people and make friends in your beautiful town.
And who knows maybe some day we do a TS real life meeting in Amsterdam with @Mischa84 and @DresdenLaPage .

Have a good start to a great sober week everyone :pray:

13 Likes

Day 1. Again. I know I canā€™t keep drinking.

30 Likes

Whoo hoo! Congratulations :clap::tada: :clap:

4 Likes

@HoofHearted and I had lunch in Seattle a few years ago. @Jowieseff and I went and played guitars for hours in Guitar Centre in LA ā€¦ Thereā€™s no reason I canā€™t do a hop to ā€˜Dam in the future :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I hear you. Oddly enough, I spend a lot of time with people, my students, my kids, family in law. But I hang out with an actual ā€˜friendā€™ maybe once every two months. And it is often a quick catch up and then finished for the next month or two. In the end, not much depth. Making friends as an adult is hard. People are busy, real connection hard to foster. Anyway, didnā€™t mean to make it about myself. Good luck getting out there and finding your people.

15 Likes

Nothing good to report and no will to report nothing good. :rofl: I donā€™t even think that makes grammatical or linguistic sense. Still here, still Sober, no intention of changing that. Just dealing with fucking idiots takes a lot of my brain these days.

22 Likes

Checking in.

26 Likes

@maxwell Welcome back :purple_heart:. Everyone belongs here if they are struggling with addiction, and want to be supported, and support others when they can.

6 Likes

Checking in Day 10)

Hey everyone. Thereā€™s some pretty big milestones on here today, congratulations everyone :slight_smile: I have a good friend who is a heroin addict over 23 years clean and I always tell him ā€œI hope I never catch you upā€ and I say the same to you guys :slight_smile:

Something just came to me that was somewhat profound. What do I miss about the things Iā€™ve had to give up? Reliance? Trust? Maybe just a bit of temporary comfort? Truth be told, no-one gives up the things that are good for them; exercise, healthy eating, boundary setting etc ā€¦ I just miss the temporary feeling these things give me despite the fact that itā€™s not even real.

Iā€™ve been thinking to myself ā€œWho do I want to be? What do I want to achieve? Where do I see myself in a year?ā€ - Some people might be uncomfortable at the thought of a year and tell me to stick to ODAAT which believe me, I do but my great grandmother years ago always had this mentality of ā€œlook past the obstacleā€ and itā€™s always been thereā€¦ So who do I want to be? Well, I want to be reliable, I want to be successful, I want to be a go-to person again.

I realise I can only do this by staying off alcohol. Alcohol has held me back so fucking long now and the only example I have of being able to achieve the things I wanted to was during my last period of sobriety. If thatā€™s the only example I have to go on then thatā€™s the example I need to use. The loneliness of sobriety has always made me search for the approval of others and to try and forge relationships that I otherwise wouldnā€™t have - I think everyone knows what Dutch courage is like. While I process my thoughts and learn to let things go, itā€™s becoming even more apparent that alcohol and all the extra curricular bullshit Iā€™ve been associating with it is not actually going to do me any good and it doesnā€™t make me happy - and whatā€™s more important to me, the approval of people who are temporary or my inner peace and happiness knowing that I have to live with myself forever?

Enjoy your day people :slight_smile:

21 Likes

Day 1175

A bit related to mnoā€™s post, I tend to go through phases when I get frustrated with my small life and try to join stuff and make connects; recently I applied to a public run and a cooking class at my daughterā€™s school. But usually nothing comes of it, if I am lucky a random chat or two, and then back to my normal pretty isolated life. But then I usually have work and kids stuff, plus my introvert need for quiet time, and I couldnā€™t fit much in anyway. Yet I still feel lonely. It is a strange contradiction. Anyway, must be grateful for what I do have instead of focussing on what I donā€™t.

23 Likes

Day 45! I think I forgot to post yesterday because I slept in after a very fun night out dressing up for Halloween. Had a blast!

18 Likes

I so get what u mean about physical connection and touch, im a real hugger and miss that as i dont have a partner, i thankfully get hugs from my daughter but if i didnt have her id feel alot worse about it, reading your post has inspired me too to go see some friends very soon, thank you xx

7 Likes

Wow! Congratulations on ur 1 year!!!

4 Likes

Sending you hugs Menno. I pray that u find the connection that u seek within ur town. Online friendships/relationships are great but its not the same as in person. I totally get that. Hope ur day improves friend :people_hugging:

5 Likes

@DresdenLaPage congratulations on double digits josh!
@Mischa84 congratulations on ur 4 months of freedom!!! Way to go!

5 Likes

Checking in on day 148 AF.
I have workmen in the house installing a new window in my studio, so Iā€™m hiding out in the kitchen. Iā€™m browsing through The Artistā€™s Way and waiting until I can get back into the room and do the tidying that Iā€™ve been putting off for the past couple of years. I need to get back into a routine of being creative every day.
Mood wise Iā€™ve been pretty good lately. My appetite is much better as is my sleep.
Wishing everyone an addiction free day.

18 Likes

Day
0.44 no cbd or weed
173 no alcohol
104 no vapes or ciggs

Checking in sober

Had some gummies yesterday
Reset the clock to midnight lastnight

I feel stronger then ever :muscle:
The wifey got me some headphones just for online meetings
Shes very thoughtful