Checking in daily to maintain focus #65

It depends on how long it takes you to meet someone whose recovery you like the look of. I know one person whose waited a year, I know one man who has successfully remained sober for 7 years without one.

It took me about a month of being in meetings and talking in general/asking advice/listening to sharebacks from my sponsor before I approached him and asked him to help me through the steps. A sponsor is ultimately, someone who you can talk to, someone you can trust, someone who has a good message and someone whose recovery you feel you want yours to look like.

Thereā€™s usually a show of hands at some meetings for people willing to sponsor :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Can it be someone i have become friends with? There is a great group of guy i have met and i was going to ask one to be my sponsor but then we kind of became friemds and now he is my boss. I dont know if him being my sponsor now would be to much involvement or not

1 Like

Day 49

Morning.

I slept last night! Almost the whole night, yeah. Today Iā€™m happy. I canā€™t go without sleep again, no. Either way, I wonā€™t drink.

Town is overrun for a music festival but the weather is poor. Iā€™ll stay in my area far away from the drunks and mud and do some hiking if possible. Looking forward to taking some trips soon. Much to do right here. Plus get more sober time.

What will I cook today? Itā€™s gloomy.

:heart::cloud_with_lightning_and_rain::cloud_with_lightning_and_rain::cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:

15 Likes

Day 21 is upon me and I feel a lot better than yesterday.

Mostly because Iā€™m finally able to plan for therapy.
Thinking about DBT since my impulse congrol is pretty mid. If not worse.

Alcohol makes in non-existent.

I hope everybody has a good day :slight_smile:
Keep it slow ODAAT.

12 Likes

Anyone else, feel free to jump in - My 2 cents would be no because you may already have some resentments built up towards him being a friend and a boss as well.

3 Likes

Day #25 away from my DOC
Day #6 sober from everything else

Still getting that craving for my DOC in the middle of the night, but the cravings are hopefully getting weaker I feel like. They at least arenā€™t getting worse for sure. Heading to the downtown office for some coworker event. Iā€™ll make sure not to drink during it. My plan is to basically just order mocktails and soda, Iā€™ve been really drilling this into my head :smile_cat:

11 Likes

Woot! Finally Friday! Day 207af. Hope everyone has a happy, relaxing weekend! :tulip::tulip::tulip::tulip:

4 Likes

If you have the Insight Timer app TF,Yoga Nidra meditation can help.

4 Likes

:small_red_triangle:

14 Likes

Checking in on day 725. I had an amazing day yesterday. doing the First Truth inventory with a fellow Sangha member. I relish one-to-one meetings. I am able to use my Zoom account that I also use for Eight-Step Recovery meetings. Better than a phone call,right? And that was awesome last night as well. She and another friend (she runs the Reiki meditation circle) joined me. It was really good. Have as good a day as you can,eh @Mno !!

14 Likes

Helllooo, checking in on Day 19 AF. Wondering whether to go for a swim. Think I will. Sorry my life is so boring to relate but is probably what I need right now. Back to work on Monday, been off since alcohol and I parted company. Iā€™ve missed the office politics and the banter like you do. Wondering how much longer Iā€™ll work though (part-time), seems like only 5 minutes ago I was the youngest in the office and now probably the oldest. Oh dear! Drink was always my after-work reward. (Well that was one of the many excuses I made obviouslyā€¦ celebrate, drink! Feeling cā€“p, drink!, etc., etc., etc.)

11 Likes

Hey all, checking in on day 1405. I hope everybody has a good one!

15 Likes

Am feeling a bit better today but still mostly laying around not feeling the best. I had the worst nightmares last night and they have me on edge. If I had more energy Iā€™d be tempted to drink. How do you deal with nightmares? I used to get them all the time and it was one of the things that would push me to drink at night. Now they are starting again and Iā€™m afraid they will keep getting worse. I always get nervous about having them because I usually sleep walk when they are happening. Anywaysā€¦in a few hours Iā€™ll go to bed and all I can think about is maybe Iā€™ll dream. I feel like I need to prepare myself for how to cope when they get bad so I can keep sober. But Iā€™m not sure where to start with that.

8 Likes

102 days. Really struggling. Most of it money related. Hard to find decent paying work, but I remain diligent in my search. Selling off what possessions I can to keep from complete ruin. I started therapy to deal with anxiety and depression. They use CBT and mindfulness techniques. Encouraging. Getting to meetings when I can, looking for a homegroup and sponsor. Iā€™m getting too old for this shit. Still doing it ODAAT. I need a hug and some decent fellowship. Canā€™t seem to find either. Trying to remain in the present and to be positive.

14 Likes

I can only give you a virtual one Mike. Hang in there. Good on you for doing therapy. And good to see you here. Youā€™re not alone friend. :people_hugging:

3 Likes

Good morning friends, day 40. Wifeā€™s surgery (knee replacement) went well so now we begin the healing process. Iā€™m working from home today to try and be helpful and I expect weā€™ll take it easy this weekend.
Have an awesome day!

15 Likes

32 days and Ive had a couple of thoughts. The first was when my wife said she felt like going to the sports bar to just enjoy the vibe and relax Sheā€™s pregnant so canā€™t drink either. We settled on Grillā€™d, an Australian burger restaurant. I saw the beers and ciders behind the counter and had a surprisingly strong desire to order one. It was a very low desire but stronger than I expected. Kept me on my toes and a good reminder to stay in touch on here.

14 Likes

2y2m6d
I missed yesterdays checkin because i was soooooo sick. Idk if it was something i ate or a stomach bug but i was out for the entire day. After putting my son on the bus, i slept from 8-3pm and then slept all night as well. I just had very little energy to do anything. Thankfully im feeling almost 100% better today. Will do some cleaning and then my son has an appt at 130pm. Other than that, just going to continue to rest. Hope everyone has a great day!

15 Likes

Checking in on day 282. Saw a typo on my number yesterday. Was supposed to be 281ā€‹:face_with_hand_over_mouth:anyway, happy Friday all! Stay strong!:pray::heart::peace_symbol:

12 Likes

@Mira_D congrats on 9 months :tada:
@JazzyS thank you, it was a nice chat :blush: I hope your appointment went well :people_hugging:šŸ©µ
@GOKU2019 congrats on 2.5 years :tada:
@acromouse thank you šŸ©µ I hope you enjoyed your coffee meet-up :blush:
@Mno sorry for the depressive feelings :people_hugging: sending strength šŸ©µ
@JennyH sending strength :people_hugging:šŸ©µ
@Charlie_C Iā€™m glad everything went okay :raised_hands:t2:
@Laner congrats on 2 weeks :tada:I hope the vivid dreams calm down, I can relate to those. I have to use grounding techniques to bring myself back to the present. :people_hugging: Feel better soon šŸ©µ
@Kvee congrats on 40 days :tada:
@Lighter not sure if youā€™ve tried it already, but when I canā€™t sleep I listen to guided sleep meditations, sometimes I fall asleep but even when I donā€™t itā€™s still relaxing. I really hope sleep finds you soon, I know how hard it can be and I agree that itā€™s torturous :people_hugging:šŸ©µ

7 Likes