Checking in daily to maintain focus #68

Checking in day 390 AF
I’m so glad the week is almost over. One more work day. I have a weekend full of packing ahead. Trying to get excited about the move. I know I will be once it’s all done. I’m hoping my back holds up or at least it’s not too painful.

I’m hoping my health and energy levels improve. As I’m packing up I’m finding that sheets, towels and even my clothes have these strange yellow stains on them. I’ve tried googling what could cause it I can’t seem to find a definitive answer. Intuitively I feel like this place is draining my energy and there’s something in this apartment that’s compromising my health. Maybe I’m just imagining it.

Mental health has been better without the ex and our friends that set us up are having serious marital issues. Being with the ex would have complicated my friendship. The universe knows what it’s doing. Now I can be there for my friend. I feel for her. She’s also in recovery and her husband doesn’t really understand. They entertain almost every weekend and there is lots of drinking. I can’t imagine how difficult that must be.

I appreciate this community to vent and I’m grateful for the support. Sleep well everyone.

21 Likes

Work was a total 180 from yesterday. Got like 10 tables in an hour as well as bar folk. I came home and just layed on the couch watching dumb comedy. Sometimes that’s the best thing to do. I’m tired :sleeping:

19 Likes

Hi @Seb well done for the :five: months Sebastian :confetti_ball:
A handful in your pocket :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

@Rob11 nice numbers!! :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck: Gefeliciteerd! :confetti_ball::confetti_ball::confetti_ball:

Hope your moving out goes well @DanaM56 Hope your new place has a good vibe and energy in store for you :crossed_fingers:

*Day 2123 :walking_woman:
Looking forward to this day! :star_struck:
Have a workshop silver casting in sand this whole day. As all goes well I take a finished jewelery back home.
Yesterday I made some preparations for our party next sunday. We invited family, 20 people and no special occasion. Hubby and I called it our “vier het leven feestje” (celebrate life party).
That’s also what I’ve learned trough recovery. I cherish what I have: health, children, family, friends, a house and job and today!
We do not earn tomorrow. I hope I have a tomorrow too, but I celebrate today. Alive and kicking and fucking sober :sunglasses:
Time to party all that!

Picture of a butterfly who joined me in a walk :wink:
Have a good day ore night all! :raising_hand_woman:

23 Likes

Day 641

I’ve run out of :heart:s again today. And I have to be at work in 6 hours, so it’s bedtime for me.

I’ve been thinking I want to be a foster parent one day when I’ve got more room in my house… Just a thought. But I do think it would be perfect for me…

19 Likes

That such a nice idea to work towards to! :heavy_heart_exclamation:

5 Likes

Checking in

The weekend is so close I can’t wait to sit back relax and watch the world go by for a little while. I’ve been at peace for a couple days and man does it feel good I haven’t felt this way in years. I’ve been doing a little bit of reading and podcasting it’s crazy how much time I spent in the wrong emotional home while under the influence, I heard something that stuck with me a while back it was that discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons i feel ashamed of the things i did while struggling with being an addict . So im righting my wrongs and making progress in the right direction. I feel like my life lessons will someday be someone’s survival guide ya know?
If anyone need someone to lend a ear don’t be afraid to reach out I’ll gladly help however I can :heart:

Goodnight all I hope everyone has a great Friday :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

17 Likes

Day 999 AF

TW: domestic violence

Sup, gang.

I’m not sure if I’ll be able to post tomorrow for my 1k. Gonna be busy with work and helping my sister with her babyshower.

Haven’t shared my story with everyone. Just bits and pieces on different threads. Gonna leave some stuff out for personal reasons. I apologize for grammar in advance. I’m not the best writer.

I grew up with an alcoholic dad. I had two step brothers and one step sister. My dad hated my step brothers with a passion. They never got along. He would get drunk and start arguing with my mom about it. Almost every other night, there was an argument. I was only a toddler at the time. The arguments escalated to violence. He would beat my step bros to a pulp. I remember there was a day when my dad smashed my bro’s head onto the dining table and broke his teeth. Nights where he would randomly start beating them. There was one night he punched my mom on the head and cracked her open. I remember like it was last night. The blood flowed down her head. It fucked with me all through my childhood. I couldn’t sleep cuz I thought he was gonna drink and start a fight. I would wet my bed from the fear. He tried changing things around and said he was gonna stop drinking. I’m not sure how long he stayed sober. But that didn’t stop the arguments with my bros and mom.

Anyway, flash forward, I was always a nerdy kid during my middle school days. Hung out with the skaters. I would get straight A’s and 4.0s. But that changed when I started my freshman year in high school. Started dressing differently. Hung out with the wrong crew. Taggers (graffiti crews). I was 14/15 years old when I went to a kick-back at a hotel and had my first beer. It tasted like shit. I didn’t like it at first. But I wanted to be cool and fit in. I slowly started drinking a few beers here and there. I had some friends who lived in the same apartment complex. I had gone over to drink. I had a couple of 40 oz of Mickeys and some other nasty ass beers. That was the first time I ever got fucked up. I woke up with the nastiest headache. I didn’t know it was a hangover. Barfing and shit. I said I was NEVER gonna drink again after that. I kept getting fucked up at parties and hangouts. Blackouts. Started venting and crying about my past and trauma. I was always that drunk crying dude, smh. Going to school hungover and barfing in the classroom.

I met my wife my sophomore year. She was down to earth. Cute. She had a bf at the time. I just really really liked this girl. Idk what it was about her. She was different from the other girls. We’d talk and chill. I would walk her to class. We had gone to a house party together, and I was super drunk. I tried kissing her, but she rejected it because she was dating someone. I remember I yelled at her and then left. Shit was kinda awkward at school the following Monday. I didn’t know what to say. She said I was a good friend and didn’t expect that from me. She was hurt. I kept my distance after that. Anyway, her boyfriend broke up with her towards the end of the school year. I wanted to ask her out, but I was too damn shy. I kinda mentioned to her, but it wasn’t direct. I ended up getting kicked out of my primary school due to my grades. I had straight Fs. From ditching and drinking, smoking weed. After getting kicked out, I started to miss her. I missed her a lot. We still talked on Myspace, but it wasn’t the same. I knew she was single and needed to make a move before someone else did. So I took the city bus from my continuation school to her primary school to ask her out, and she said yes. I was happy AF. I couldn’t believe it. My first high school girlfriend. It kinda sucked because we were at different schools. Anyway, things happened between us, and a lot of things started changing. I was still boozing and smoking. I became toxic AF. I started treating her badly. We both ended up taking down our MySpace accounts due to drama with other girls. I was young and immature. After high school, I started working at a fast food joint and ran into a good friend. I began to hang out with him and his crew. We’d be together every weekend. Drinking and smoking, he got me into doing cocaine. Going to parties and hanging out with girls. Cocaine and weed weren’t my thing. Cocaine made me bleed a lot and felt like I was gonna have a heart attack. Weed would get my paranoid. I didn’t like the feeling. So I stopped. I’d be hungover at work. Found another job at a grocery store. I’d literally be barfing at the register in front of customers. I’d sleep in the freezer box to shake the hangover. All bad.

Anyway, my wife moved in with me at my parents’ apartment when she was 20 years old. We thought it would solve some of our issues. But nah, things got worse. I was drinking heavily. I gained a lot of weight during my mid-20s due to the booze and late night fast food. I was about 125 and went up to like 190. It fucked with me mentally. Don’t wanna make the story long. But I was fucked up to her. I’d get mad when we wouldn’t do things. Thought she was doing stuff behind my back. I would drunk text and call other girls. I tried taking breaks from booze but would only last a few days. She got pregnant with our first child. We fought on her bday because of my drunk ass. She left, and we got back together. It was always ME starting shit, not her. I wanted to take a break from booze. I only got to 2 months and thought I could moderate. Shit was just up and down roller coaster from there. We moved out from my parents and got our own apartment. Things went well for a while, but I fell back into my drunken rage. We’d go to family parties, and I’d get drunk. Started arguments. There were times I’d run out of the car in the middle of the intersection. Luckily, I never i got struck by a car. My wife would be out there in the night looking for me. There was a night we went clubbing with my best childhood friend and his girl. I was drunk and started hitting on my best friend’s girl!? Smfh. My friend and I got distant after that. My wife hated my guts. I’d always told her I’d change. I tried quitting time after time. 10 days, 2 weeks, 30 days, 60 days, 90s, and 6 months was my longest stretch. I never thought about sobriety as a long-term. I’d always fall into the moderation trap. I went for another 6 months and thought I had it under control. But one of my high school friends passed away. It hit me hard. Still can’t believe he’s gone. I went back to drinking after that. Got fucked up daily. Punched holes in my bathroom door. My eldest son saw me drunk a couple of times. I remember his face in fear. But that didn’t stop me.

The last time I got fucked up in mid October 2021. My friend had invited me to his wife’s babyshower. We already had our 2nd child by then. He was only 2 years old. Anyway, we were all drinking at the babyshower. Including my wife. I was kinda buzzed and thought my wife was flirting with one of my friends. I didn’t confront her there. But I was angry and started drinking more and faster. I texted her and told her we had to go. I kept my cool because it was a drive from our home, and I had the kids with us. My wife was too buzzed to drive. We started heading out and realized I couldn’t drive. I stopped at a gas station and tried sobering up. I drank a lot of electrolyte drinks and washed my face with cold water. We were in the parking lot for about 30 minutes. I did a test drive and was able to handle it. Drove home on the slow lane. After we got home, I waited for the kids to sleep. I began drinking whatever I had in the fridge. Truly, modelos, etc. I saw something on my Snapchat that got me mad. We got into an argument, and I took off walking to the nearest bar. Not sure how many drinks I had there. Started taking shots. Bought shots for a party. Wasted about $300. My cellphone had died and wanted to charge it. So I walked home drunk. I don’t remember how I got home. I have flashbacks of falling a few times. We started arguing again. I had drunked called one of my girl coworkers. Woke up the following morning not remembering much. Saw holes in my bathroom door. Idk. Something hit me that morning. I got tired of the bullshit. I’m tired of the arguments. Hangovers. I was just done. I didn’t want that life anymore. Began my day one. I didn’t have help. It was all sheer willpower. I’d walk a lot in the beginning. Had the worst withdrawals. Flu-like symptoms. Headaches. Nightly sweats. I didn’t think I could do it. But I kept think about all those fucked up drunken nights. Began walking daily. Stumbled on this app about 120 days in. I wanted to count my sober days. At first, I thought you guys were bots and didn’t bother reading much or posting. My bad. Don’t hurt me. Anyway, I began reading a lot of stories, people I could relate to. It was a game changer. Found replacement drinks. Started exercising. Kept myself busy. Stayed away from events. Kept pushing. The days slowly started climbing. I had my moments, but sobriety was my goal. Beat my 6 month stretch, and I made it to a year, and then 2. I couldn’t believe I was doing it. The toughest part was realizing how fucked up I was to my family, my wife, my friends. Thinking about my trauma and how my mom stayed up at night telling me everything was gonna be okay. Putting my own family through a similar situation. It just killed me inside. It drained me. I was becoming that same fuckin monster I hated. I still hate myself for a lot of things. I’m just trying to make things better now. Be a better person, a better human. Life is too short for bullshit. I wanna thank everyone on here for saving me. Love you guys. Congrats to everyone on your sober time. I wish you the best with your journey. ODAAT :heart:

27 Likes

@LovelyLya thank you :blush:
@Dan.h84 welcome back :people_hugging: congrats on 5+ days :tada:
@Scorpn wtf, that’s ridiculous! I’m sorry :disappointed::people_hugging:🩵
@SubmarineMonkey sorry for your loss :mending_heart: I hope things get easier at home.
@JazzyS thank you :blush: 🩵 the bullying I experience on a regular basis really holds me back, I don’t know how to rise above it and think “f**k them” and get myself back out there, and because my inner critic agrees with them, it heightens my pre-existing insecurities. I’m so glad you’re getting out for your walks and able to do other exercising too :raised_hands:t2: those salt tablets sound awful, I hope it’s the last time too :crossed_fingers:t2::people_hugging:
@justKaitlin congrats on 2+ weeks :tada: wow, I’m glad you were there and able to help! :raised_hands:t2: congrats on your bloodwork results too :tada:
@zzz congrats on double digits :tada:
@MrsOdh we call them Respite Care Homes, I used to work in some. Good luck with your application :crossed_fingers:t2::four_leaf_clover:
@Joy good to read from you :blush: congrats on 5 years :tada::trophy::star2::star2::star2::star2::star2:
@MrMoustache keep going, sending strength 🩵

9 Likes

@Binx belated happy birthday :balloon: :gift: :partying_face:
@Seb woah, that’s scary! I’m glad nobody was killed :raised_hands:t2: congrats on 5 months :tada:
@SKhan congrats on 2+ weeks :tada:
@claire-lo great update :blush: congratulations :baby: :tada:
@Kareness enjoy the mountains :mountain: :blush:
@MrFantastik congrats on all the 2s :tada:
@Rob11 congrats on 1300 days :tada: I’m glad your boundaries were respected :blush:
@wahtisnormal :people_hugging: I hope you got some sleep last night :sleeping:
@Wakikki I hope your anxiety settled and you got some sleep :sleeping:
@ladybug1974 welcome back :people_hugging: congrats on day 1 :tada:

12 Likes

:white_check_mark: in, day 60.

17 Likes

@AdultImprover welcome :blush: congrats on 18 days :tada:
@Tragicfarinelli omg that really is sad :broken_heart::pleading_face: I bet the charity really appreciated your hamper though 🩵
@tailee17 so cute :heart_eyes: strong name :smiley:
@Jeanine congrats on 60+ days :tada:
@DanaM56 good luck with your move :crossed_fingers:t2::four_leaf_clover:
@GOKU2019 thanks for sharing, I’m sorry for what you witnessed as a young child :people_hugging:I’m glad you’re here 🩵 congrats on breaking the chain and for quadruple digits tomorrow :tada::tada::trophy::star2:
@Baseline congrats on 60 days :tada:

1431 days no alcohol.
896 days no cocaine.
411 days no vape.
1 day no binge-eating.

Checking-in with yesterday’s numbers…

Tuesday was mostly uneventful, I caught-up here, caught-up with some meditations, and watched sone episodes of my favourite programs.

I also had a takeaway AND binged later on too. Fed up with myself now. I have still been in a lot of pain from my tooth extraction, so I think I’ve been using food as a self-soothing behaviour.

Wednesday I went to the dentist for a review, and I’ve got Dry Socket, he packed it with a substance thats very spicy and tastes like clove. He said that it will act as a blood clot which should have formed but didn’t. He said the pain should start to settle now, so that’s hopeful.

I also had the traumatic ordeal of getting both cats in their carriers to go to the groomers. I was home with Prince first as he only has his nails trimmed so he doesn’t take long. Then I collected Wolfie an hour later as he has a full groom, because he has long fur and lots of it! He had a few matted areas too, so although he’s an absolute nightmare to get in his carrier, I know he feels so much better once he’s home and settled. I just hate the way I lose Prince’s trust everytime and it takes months to earn it back. He also reacts to Wolfie like he’s a total stranger and hisses at him for a few days afterwards, so that’s not nice either.

Yesterday I had a call with a doctor because my kidney and liver function tests came back low, so I have to stop one of my medications. It’s a preventative sexual health medication that I am not likely to need anytime in the forseeable future so I’m okay with stopping it. I was planning to stop it when my 3 months supply ran out in September anyway.

Today I am travelling to visit my WhatsApp friend, we’ve only met once before, in 2015, but we chat all day every day on WhatsApp, he is my only friend. He has 3 dogs so I’m looking forward to meeting and walking with them too :smiley:

🩵

18 Likes

Thank you @tailee17 @JazzyS @SoberWalker @catmancam and thank you all for being so supportive.
Great share @GOKU2019

9 Likes

Weekend! Of course it’s going to rain fot the better part of this Friday. Well, a good incentive to do some necessary house chores. And unwind a bit. Work yesterday was crazy busy. Good to be free from it for three days now. Sober and clean.

Have as good a day as you all can friends. Make it sober and clean or nothing will come of it. We’re in this together. Love from my commute yesterday.

@seb @Rob11 @Baseline Congrats on your days and milestones friends.
@CATMANCAM That’s exiting! Here’s hoping for a very nice visit with your friend Cat!
@GOKU2019 What a story JR. You write very well. You write truth. Your share your life’s experience. That’s what writing’s about. Thanks so much. Just keep working on being better. As you are doing. Here’s some early congratulations on quadruple digits to you. And big hugs friend. Thanks for being here. :people_hugging:

21 Likes

Morning all checking in on day 25 alcohol free , hoping you all have a lovely & safe weekend take care :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

15 Likes

Alcohol 1794
Intermittent Fasting 1
Binge eating 2

I’m stumbling abit with my eating habits I’ve noticed when my daughter is having a bad day with her autism or I’m having a flat day with my own mental health I seem to be hitting the fuck it bottom anyway on a more positive note I’ve booked myself into some classes at the local leisure centre this morning for next week because it’s a holiday today here so I think I’m going to do some gardening which I love it’s very good for my head
Hope everyone has a good day :wave:

17 Likes

@Conor80 Don’t be to hard on yourself about your eating habits. It’s normal to be triggered by difficult times. The first step is to see your patterns and then recognise them for what they are. Stay mindful and kind to yourself and observe your thoughts and emotions in those situations. With time you will find a way to change the pattern. Enjoy your garden :farmer:
@Mno Thanks for your suggestions about the LF routes. The one along the coast has been on my mind for quite a while. I’ll ponder it a bit more.
@CATMANCAM Once again: Enjoy your trip and your time with your friend :smile:
@GOKU2019 Thank you for sharing your story, your journey and your determination :mending_heart:
@Lefty624 Enjoy your peaceful weekend friend :sunglasses:
@SoberWalker I hope you will share the silver work with us later :gem:
@DanaM56 Moving is always exhausting. Sending you strength :muscle: :battery:
@Jeanine Best recovery wishes for you dad. Glad to hear physical therapy is doing him good :mending_heart:
@MrFantastik Sleepover partys are always so exciting :star_struck:
@justKaitlin Thanks for sharing your experience of no cravings and positive vibes with us :green_heart:

233 sugar
97 UPF
104 gluten
3 dairy
3 overeating

Did my morning run and send my daughter off to her last day of arts workshop.
Today I want to finish up with my deep dive into state machines and automata. I have to admit though that I love to dive into computation models. My mind enjoys to toy around in this very abstract domain. But I also don’t want to get lost there, as at some point the part of me that wants to create will feel very neglected and frustrated. That’s why I love my work, I get to toy around in the abstract and create something out of it :heart_eyes:
Some yoga in the afternoon and I’m not sure about the evening. My usual club is closed for the summer, but there might be a meeting of friends from the climate activism movement tonight. Otherwise I’ll jump on a dharma meeting, or just enjoy some anime.

Whatever comes, I’ll try for peace, kindness and freedom :peace_symbol: :people_hugging: :dove:

16 Likes

I’m here, I’m alive I’m sober and I’m happy.
Day 135

Rain again, I’m so sick of this.
Forecast says it’s going to stay this way. So this summer seems to be just as bad as last year.

It sucks, seriously planning to emigrate now.
I need some sun. This long as cold winters, the constant darkness and the dark Rainy summers is going to kill me if I don’t do something about it

That’s all Folks :heavy_heart_exclamation:
Wishing y’all a wonderful day.

17 Likes

Busy morning ahead, so very quick check in, 13 days done :white_check_mark:

Have a wonderful, sober day friends :heart:

22 Likes

Day 384. All good. At work. Sun has come out which is good. Then it’s the weekend. Feeling recovered from on call. Looking forward to some slow time over the weekend

18 Likes

Realizing you are still at 999! Thanks for sharing your story. So inspirational, helpful and meaningful for all those who say they cannot quit, or say they are down too far to leave the addiction, or want to throw away time that they have.
Alcohol is wicked. You have certainly lived it. Congrats on taking the steps you did to turn your life around… enjoy each day. @GOKU2019

DWaRQ8TVMAAWAi2

20 Likes