Cold plunge

I was thinking about outdoor cold water plunging few years already. This winter I want to stop thinking and start practicing.
Any cold water freaks here?
Or maybe you also want to try? Let’s do this! :sweat_smile:

“The physical benefits of cold plunging are abundant. Experts say cold water immersion can:
decrease inflammation
offer a huge rush of endorphins,
spike dopamine
improve sleep and mood
reduce stress
help remedy aches and pains
boost injury recovery
reduce swelling
potentially increase testosterone
promote lymphatic drainage
regulate hormones
accelerate metabolism.”

8 Likes

I think… I’d rather die lol

5 Likes

My sister-in-law and brother-in-law are super into this. My husband has joined them on a few Sundays up in the mountains to jump into an effing cold creek and he often takes cold showers for the health benefits it is supposed to give. They’re still doing this so I guess they feel it’s worth it?

I think in some ways, it’s kind of like applying pressure on a tender muscle in the body so that it tenses more, then upon release it will relax. If it is something you think you can tolerate, there’s no harm in trying it. I will do/have done a lot of things in the name of better health, but this is not one of those :laughing: You will know if it’s for you after the first time.

2 Likes

My friend who was a first responder in the fire service and suffers from PTSD absolutely swears by cold water therapy, he says it got him off anti depressants, he follows Wim Hof

4 Likes

I like to finish my morning shower with cold water, it gives me super energy kick and boosting my mood. It’s not the same as jumping in cold water outdoor, but it might be some start :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh I want to do that at least! I’m not ready to take the plunge, but I might turn the shower down to cold :crazy_face:

2 Likes

What are the dangers?

I think those should be weighed with the benefits.

5 Likes

Dangers? Not much - hypothermia, cardiovascular events or dysfunction and drowning :sweat_smile:
I think if somebody is generally healthy (no serious heart problems, very high blood pressure, for example), listen and pay attention to his/her body there is no much of a risk. But for sure I wouldn’t go alone.
Ive seen in many sources that best temp is between 10 and 15°C (50-60F) so I think it’s doable for most ppl. Or maybe I’m wrong :sweat_smile: I must try.
I think tomorrow gonna bike to that place I have in mind and check water temp with some old thermometer (if I still have one). If it’s closer to 15° I will give it a try soon.

4 Likes

I’ve jumped in to some pretty cold water, like glacier water (few degrees above freezing)! It knocks the wind right out of you! But feels good… once you can’t feel anything. :rofl:

It’s usually something I do when hiking, so nothing on a regular basis. Certainly helps the old joints for a day or two.

3 Likes

I think I’ll keep my scalding hot showers :joy: I hate being cold!!

4 Likes

I use to take my showers and then hit the cold water at the end for 30 seconds. I haven’t done that in so long though :rofl: it did use to make me smile though and feel better

3 Likes

Same! It’s been few weeks I wasn’t doing this anymore. Guess tomorrow day one again :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I do take cold showers to finish off a hot or warm one. Do ice baths for my feet and do face plunges in ice water but have not fully submerged into an outdoor cold pool / body of water. I do think the benefits are vast. Really give me a pep to my step

My cousin in England does a cold outdoor pool plunge with a group of ladies every winter. They do this weekly.

Sending you strength and motivation to do this… it will be a wonderful experience

2 Likes

I live in RI and always do it. Actually just did a triathlon backwards so swimming was last. Made it more interesting. Anyways its not cold at all… it actually burns. Hints, use water shoes to walk over sand as its frozen and hurt ur feet. Walk in instead of jumping. It will take your breath away but thats fine. It takes not long to go numb and say this isnt bad other than your toes. They stay always cold. I hear the benefits but really i dont feel different when i do it. I just do it because i like difficult things

3 Likes

Only after Sauna

1 Like

I couldnt check water temp with my thermometer so I tried to find out water temp on internet. Well, it’s NOT close to 15°C :cold_face: