Community Moderator: Applications open!

yea. looks that way. wasn’t sure about @justl as i haven’t seen anything from her in a while so that makes sense.

1 Like

I’m not going anywhere lol I just wanna find a new picture

3 Likes

That picture has been getting to me as it was a picture from when I was actively drinking. Sick of looking at it lol

7 Likes

@CaptAZ I was not a year sober when I became mod I was about 5-7 months if I remember correctly. Also I believe JustL is just taking a short break from it.

2 Likes

You should get a dabbing unicorn picture. Just saying…

2 Likes

Just for the sake of disagreement, though you do make valid points, let me proffer this. Sometimes it’s good to give newer people some responsibility early on as a way of building self esteem and other life skills. I’m just shy of 6 months, but I’ve been given tons of responsibilities in both programs. I have the keys for two different meetings and chair a couple others and as of next month will be my gsr for my home group. These things have been very beneficial to my recovery.

I agree that a moderator has to maintain certain decorum, but I feel they can still have fun on here as well. To me a moderate is someone the community respects and has a track record of helping people. And though it’s voluntary I also believe that you shouldn’t say no to a service commitment unless there is a good reason.

Obviously I’m not trying to discredit @C-sun bc I think she rocks, but I wanted to put out an alternative theory. I guess it’s the lawyer in me lol.

2 Likes

I agree with both of you.

3 Likes

Touche. The internet is vastly different from real life. It could potentially be a power trip for someone

2 Likes

Also agree, but maybe applying some of the principals without turning it into a 12 step program wouldn’t hurt. Just like applying the good messages from the Bible to real life, without becoming religious. Thou shall not be a dick. I believe that’s the 11th commandment

3 Likes

Fair enough. I’m just such a screw up I need some sort of structure lol.

1 Like

I should have had said I was. There’s no way I could do this without the supervision of the program. I’ve tried. Didn’t end well

2 Likes

My two cents about my experience on here with @justl and @Steve92 both were somewhat close to my sobriety date and were active members and we saw what they were about on the board. And early on as mods they were still trying to keep their footing. I can remember them actively involved in conversations and starting threads. As we all grew they became what we needed them to be. So it doesn’t deter me for putting someone with enough time in if they are making a serious effort. Like I said earlier today having them both be friends I was familiar with was a positive for me. I respect both of you very much. And I know this has to be taxing on Steve Robin is around but Steve does a lot of the policing. And I’m going to go against the 2 votes to ban theory we have seen the trolls that have to be booted immediately! This board is special and you all need to have people you trust with the power of silencing. Who those are? I do have several in mind I’d cast a vote for. There’s so many amazing people on here!!!

2 Likes

@Charlesfreck @Zara. I haven’t looked at their very recent activity but I know each of them have been hiding in the background. I would like to hear them share in hear again. Visiting everyday for over a year has some hidden wisdom.

5 Likes

Thanks @les.

I’d be happy to be a moderator if I’m qualified for it.

I’m on most days, life’s been busy so I just haven’t posted a lot lately.

4 Likes

Thanks for the responses so far!

I’d like to clarify the current status of the moderators. @JustL is a bit busy in life right now, so she’s taking a step back. The last time we spoke she was doing fine and staying sober. As Steve said, he just changed his profile picture. He’ll still be a mod for as long as he decides to.

Also, about the banhammer… We very rarely ban people on Talking Sober. We’ve probably done around 10 since the site has been running (excluding internet trolls). It’s not in the “job criteria” because it’s something that I usually do. It’s a tough burden and I don’t want to saddle moderators, especially new ones, with it. Steve has handed out a temporary suspension or two, but that’s because he’s been around for a long time and he’s a bit more comfortable in the seat by now.

4 Likes

Thank you very much @les for the shout out!! It truly means a lot that you thought of me. But I would have to pass :disappointed:

I also am about to have a new baby in the house. And deep down, I get a sick pleasure when people are bickering. I wouldn’t want to be the one to shut it down.

I’m kinda kidding here, but just kind of. I think that your other nomination of @NewPerspective is a great one. He is very open minded and works a great program.

3 Likes

Which is exactly why I am not volunteering to be a mod.

4 Likes

I say we get rid of all the mods and turn this into a free-for-all…

4 Likes

Like the Gladiator. Give us all the Banhammer

2 Likes

“Are you not entertained!”?

3 Likes