Complete Newbie

I feel that my drinking has increased over the last couple of years , I drink 2-3 times a week , and don’t feel healthy… I can sit and drink by myself and have found myself getting excited about having a drink knowing I don’t have work the next day , I suffer from ptsd , panic disorder and heightened anxiety , since I was 7 , some days are a struggle , I want to regain the control and get my body and mind healthy ,

Any tips or help would be very welcomed x

10 Likes

Welcome! First tip, read a lot of what is on here. Second tip, be active on here.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Discovering this place has been a game changer for me. 2020 was a bad year for me in terms of using. I told myself this year will be different.
It really helps having something to look forward to the next day whether its a hobby or even work. In my case: exercise.
I find affirmations really help too. I tell myself “if I don’t drink or use today…something good will happen to me today” and let the universe do its thing. Keep yourself at a high vibration.
Im a week sober myself today so please keep strong and push through :pray:

2 Likes

Hi Emma, Welcome :pray:t2::two_hearts:

1 Like

Welcome Emma! My tip is…spend a lot of time reading on here. It helped me a lot in the early days. Reading other’s experience, strength and hope really resonated with me. Take what you need and leave the rest.

1 Like

Welcome! As they all said read & educate yourself! Have you looked into real counseling? I struggle with ptsd & anxiety also, finally got help for those and its helping with the drinking urges too. There’s a ton of good books & podcasts out there too!
Recovery elevator, bubble hr
This naked mind
We are the luckiest etc. Many people have good recommendations. Read & search around the forum & post!
Welcome!

1 Like

So glad you found the forum and are here and reaching out. That’s a lot to deal with from a young age. :heart: I know for myself, that alcohol was ramping up my anxiety more than I realized, over time it helped a lot to be sober and lift some of the anxiety. It is good you are focusing on feeling better and healthier. :heart:

1 Like

Welcome Emma…stick around and absorb what you read. This is a great and supportive community.

1 Like

I seemed to have already failed … I would love to be that social I will only have a drink with my friends ever couple of weeks kinda girl , but sen to look in cupboard and think eeek I need to Dinah that bottle before I start my weight loss joir eh for the what seems to be the millionth time this past 5 yrlears

1 Like

Some people just aren’t wired to be that one social drink with friends kind of person. I’m one of them. If I drink its to get drunk. I’m an alcoholic so I’ll never be a one drink girl :woman_shrugging: That’s ok though. Alcohol has never added anything good to my life anyway. When we finally realize that it’s easier to not take that first drink. Glad your here. This place is crammed full of info and stories. Before you reach for a drink check in here first. Sometimes that helps. We’ve all been on that merry go round. You don’t have to be on it anymore either! :blush:

2 Likes

I am raging that I am sitting g here even trying to justify my reasoning for being drunk !!! I feel like a complete failure to scared to tell anyone and when I do it won’t be welcomed !!

1 Like

How amazing is this reply !! I will be here. Every day from now on !! I promise

1 Like

My tip is to do something recovery related every single day. This place is a great place to be with caring people. I owe a lot of ppl here for helping save my life. Get back on the horse tomorrow, or whenever you’re ready. Best wishes.

1 Like

Get a good rest and start over tomorrow :pray:

1 Like

We all try to justify! The time and energy I put into TRYING to control my drinking was insane. I tried new drinks, drinking only on weekends, only drinking with friends. Jeez. If I’d put that kind of energy into excercise I’d be a size 2 :joy: You are not a failure. You are a work in progress and we will be here if and when you need us. Just message me. I’ve got plenty of screw ups to tell :wink:

1 Like

Lots of helpful info here, as well as in the responses you’ve already received!

1 Like