Content Guidelines

There’s been a slight stir around the forum about privacy and content. I’ve been working on a few things today and I’d like to address a few things and clarify some others.

Responsibility Firstly, I’d like to remind everyone that you are responsible for what you post. This goes for both “worlds”, the forum world and the real world. It’s your responsibility to ensure that what you post is in line with the forum rules and guidelines.

Safety It’s completely safe to post on Talking Sober. From a technical point of view we are running the latest software and security updates. We also use encryption (https) to ensure that no one can intercept your traffic. If your goal is anonymity, don’t post anything that can personally identify you. Honestly though, we have users who post where they work, full names and more. They are fine. It’s up to you to decide how much you want to share.

Control You have complete control over what you post. You are able to edit or delete any of your previous posts and you don’t require a moderator’s assistance to do so. This does not mean that you can post whatever you want; your posts still need to follow the forum’s rules and guidelines.

Moderation Moderators are responsible for looking after the forum and the community. Besides myself, we have @JustL and @Steve92. We organize the forum by changing the categories, moving and merging posts. If we feel a post or topic breaks the forum’s rules, we will address it by removing that post and reaching out to the user. In more serious cases I will issue official warnings or suspend the user’s account. We also rely on flags from the community to help us quickly identify problem users or posts.

Open forum. Talking Sober is an open forum. You do not need an account to view or read posts, but you do need one to create posts. The first time any member of this forum visited, they saw a list of topics and posts. This is a clear indication of an open forum. The forum is on the internet, and things you say that are not in private messages can be seen by anyone in the public. This includes Google. Google “crawls” websites to find out what’s on them and then displays it to people when they search for something. So if someone Googles “sober forum”, this website might come up. The forum being open is one of its greatest strengths. The majority of our visitors do not have an account. Thousands of people are getting help and support from here without ever making a post. As @JustL said, she was on here for 3 months before she made an account. I am definitely keeping this forum open.

Private Messages. If you’d like to discuss something privately, you can start a private message. These can include multiple participants. A user recently spread a rumor that moderator’s can read your private messages. I’m not sure where this came from, but it’s a false statement. Private messages are private unless they are flagged to the moderators by one of the participants in that conversation. In that scenario we would need to be able to view it in order to take action. For example, I’ve had issues in the past where a member has sexually harassed another member over private messages. Besides a scenario like that, the messages are private

IP Tracking. For those who aren’t sure, an IP Address is unique set of numbers that your internet service provider gives you. Any website or internet service that you use (literally anything that you communicate with on the internet) can see your IP Address. It’s basically how systems know what data to send where. IP Addresses are not necessarily tied to a location, but these days certain ranges are associated with certain geographical areas. So you could see, for example, that someone lives in New York city if you had their IP address. You can’t see which street and house he lives in though. When you log into the forum, the system remembers your IP address. The primary thing this is used for on Talking Sober is security. Spam bots will use a certain IP address and can then be blocked. It’s also a way to tie different accounts to each other. If a certain user was suspended for an X amount of time for whatever reason and he makes a new account using different details, I can still see it is him and remove the fake profile.

Leaving the forum Just as you were free to join, you are also free to leave. 99% of the time it’s better to simply leave your account as is. You never know when you might want to return. Due to the effects on the forum (such as broken links and mentions), we do not permanently delete accounts. Instead, we turn them into anonymous accounts with a random username. The posts stay intact. If you want these posts removed, you should do so yourself before asking for your account to be made anonymous.

Duplicate Accounts Do not make duplicate accounts. If you have been suspended, or your account is frozen, you need to get that account restored in order to post again. If you ignore that and make fake accounts, those will be removed. This is one surefire way to get your IP blocked.

Terms of Use. Lastly, I’d like to remind everyone of the forum’s terms of service and privacy policy that you agreed to when creating your account.

25 Likes

Perfectly said, @Robin. Talking Sober is so helpful to so many of us, thank you for running it so well! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This app has changed my sobriety for the better, considering my length of time being sober. Always good to find something to help keep you stay the path @Robin Thank You. This extra lift was a blessing with sobriety.

6 Likes

I feel ashamed that you actually had to publicly make these points @Robin . Jeez people. It is 2017. Surely we are all internet savvy/literate by now??

3 Likes

I do not think the most of us know that everybody can read the problems you share here. For me I find it very hard to open up about my alcohol addiction. Realizing that this is not a closed forum scared the hell out of me. Just because I could share my shame here with people who will not judge but understand and now it is open for “the world”. You might make this more clear for newcomers who are seaking for help in a difficult time in their lifes.

4 Likes

@Forged and @Lola I moved your posts here as I have already addressed this in the top of the thread.

@Lola I think it is perfectly clear that this forum is open. When you first visited the forum, before you even created an account, you saw a huge list of topics with people discussing their problems. At that point you were just “someone” on the forum and I think it’s completely rational to deduce that any “someone” who visits the forum can read what you wrote.

@Forged How would you expect to interact with others if you don’t want them to see what you wrote?

I think there’s a lot of paranoia running around and most of it stems from people seeing the word “open” and jumping to the worst conclusions. When people say that they don’t want others to see what they wrote, they usually mean that they don’t want someone they know to see what they wrote, identify them and thus know their secret.

So I’m going to use an example here that will hopefully put things into perspective. I’m going to use your neighbor as the person, but you can replace this with anyone relevant to you.

There are currently 7.5 billion people in the world. Talking Sober gets between 500 and 1000 unique visitors per day. Let’s go worst case scenario and use 1000. The odds of any one person in the world visiting Talking Sober today is 0.000001%. Now let’s say, by some insane fluke, that your neighbor does find his way here. There are nearly 10 000 registered users on Talking Sober. The odds of him zooming into your profile and sifting through your posts to identify you are 10 000 to 1 and thus the chance goes to 0.0000000001%. Even if he manages to do all that with those insane odds, he then needs to sift through every post of yours to find something that can personally identify you. If you have not posted anything that he can use to identify you, then there is an absolute 0% chance that he will know it’s you.

There are some outlying exceptions, like if someone wants to use the same name for their business. Assuming the business becomes successful, people might go looking for it and stumble across the user’s profile here. Even then we can just change the username to something else.

Yes, the forum is open. That means anyone can find it if they are looking for it. It does not mean that the information you put on here is broadcast to everyone you know to see. They have to be looking really, really, really, really hard.

There’s a 0.0000000001% chance that someone you know will find you on here
and a 0% chance if you are careful with what you post.

This is being blown way out of proportion and it is not something you should be worried about.

9 Likes

I am going to take a few days away and see if this sorts itself out. Now to be open I dumped about 5 post, for my reasons. I understand the ones who are deleting,thier choice if they want to. Feel bad it is cutting up a lot of good threads. What I don’t understand is people not knowing it’s open. When I first came here I read post for several weeks before joining. That’s what caused me to join. I wanted to talk with people like you all,with knowledge and experience. Every time I log off I can still read this stuff, just can’t post,do likes, see who is on. This is the first forum I have ever belonged to and I thought it was nice to be able to help ones who weren’t ready to actually sign up. Not attacking no one,hate what this is doing to this place. But hey my texting is improving.Best of everything to all.

3 Likes

See you in a few days. I’m sure it will all blow over before then :slight_smile:

This thread makes Quitter laugh! Ha ha ha!

I feel for you robin, i really do. How frustrating this whole sorry mass hysteria debaucle must be…

Cliff notes:

Dont use your real name or post any personally identifable info on the internet.

It isnt even a matter of “if this forum is open or not…” your neighbour could log in too and have an account if it was a closed forum.

I think this is typical knee jerk response and pinning blame on others. Remember step number whatever? The step about admitting YOU are to blame and no one else… maybe read that one again huh?

PS. Heres a tip for an awesome self anonymising username… try to pick one that will get lost in the sea of conversation of the topic in general… so uh… say if the topic is “quitting” you could pick… “quitter”… oh sorry that ones taken! Boom.

1 Like

Thanks Robin.

This forum, this app has been hugely helpful to me.

There is support and the realisation that so many of us have done the crazy things we think we are the only person crazy enough to have done.

It makes us realise we are not alone. We are not freaks.

It can be inspiring and funny.

1 Like

Not at all. Registration details like your email are not public. They are very securely protected in the system.

1 Like

Cleaned up the topic a bit to make it more of a reference piece that clarifies and less of a personal conversation between members.

2 Likes