Craving sugar like crazy!

So I have been sober for 15 days now. I know people has lost weight after quitting alcohol. I am already pretty small. I figured if anything, I would remain the same weight. Well, since I have quit, I have been craving sugar like crazy! I have even gained a few pounds. Haha. Did anyone else crave sugar? Towards the end I drank right out of the bottle. Before that, I drank vodka and water or vodka and soda, and occasionally bourbon. I can see where those sugars were probably recognized by my body as a staple after so many years. So, I figured my body is trying to make up for the alcohol sugar with dreams of frosting and donuts, perhaps? Haha. Just curious. Did anyone crave anything after quitting alcohol? Hope everyone has a good, strong evening.

11 Likes

Beef, deer or anything meat jerky. The salt is what I was dying for. 15 days is kickin’!

2 Likes

Sugar cravings? Weird, never heard of that.

Jk, it’s very common! When I first quit, I was craving sugar like crazy, lasted… I don’t know, 3 or 4… years. Lol

Embrace it, eat donuts!

9 Likes

Haha i love all of those things already, and I have always been a saltaholic! Haha. Salt is one thing I won’t give up until they tell me it’s killing me haha

1 Like

Oh goodness haha. I started eating cereal again. And I bought a tub of cream cheese frosting haha

1 Like

Yep sugar got me too, still does one in awhile like the last 10 days lol

2 Likes

I definitely got a sweet tooth and alcohol wasn’t even my DOC. My I heard that sugar reacts the same in a sense to drugs and alcohol in the brain. I gained weight for sure and it wasn’t just bcuz I was eating again like a normal human being lol I craved sugar and now I’m doing my best to get that under control also.

1 Like

Yes! I was never a “sweets” person, hardly ever ate any treats but after getting sober I wanted all kinds of sugary goodies! Now 600+ days later I have my sweet/salty in balance and it’s great! I did loose probably 20ish pounds the first 6 months, a lot of excess water retention and other junk.

2 Likes

Ever heard of hypertension…?

1 Like

I was afraid someone would mention that. Yes, I have, friend.

1 Like

Keep going girl!!! You’re just getting over the hump. Tell your drinking friends your done drinking not just taking a break. I told one of my buddies “I’m not just taking a break I’m AA done that’s how done I am!” I’m not doing AA I probably should but he broke down crying wishing he had stopped too. Well he’s at almost 30 days. Keep it up.

Someone posted or told to me to eat whatever you want the first 60-90 days just stay off the booze. Great advice. My workouts are super good right now since I’m not drinking I’m actually losing weight? But I tried to do keto when I hit 30 days to lose the pounds I’d always struggled to lose. Well, let’s say I couldn’t tell the difference between cravings from sugar or alcohol. So right now when I have a craving it’s Cherry Garcia. Kills the booze and sugar cravings.

1 Like

My go to was rum straight out the handle, or with 50/50 Pepsi, so I know why my body wanted sugar all the time when i stopped🤣. I am drinking a lit of soda these days to curb that, and it settles the hand to mouth fixation/nervous tick I developed over years of pulling off a bottle at the slightest nervousness. I know all that sugar in itself isn’t good either and I’ve tried a few sugar free options but it’s definitely a net positive over alcohol. Have you tried sugar free “sweets”?

1 Like

How’s your today? Hopefully all is well & good & nibly!

I’ve consumed alot of those OUTSHINE Popsicles lol. I think they are Natural sugar? I’ve been eating Reese cups, cookies from the deli, and I had bought a tub of cream cheese frosting haha. I eat a spoonful in the middle of the night or right when I get home from work. When I get home from work is really the toughest for me, that and I got so used to having like 4 to 6 shots In the morning before I went to work. (Between 7:30am and 8am) so, mornings are rough so.etimes, but I’ve been eating a small bowl of raisin bran crunch with some brown sugar in it :innocent::innocent::innocent:

1 Like

Thanks, smitty ^_^. Tuesday and Wednesday was BAD. Work is horrid. Morale is down. We got new POS systems that we were not trained on. Talk about hit the ground running. I told my colleague I was going to walk out, set something on fire, I didn’t care, as long as no one allowed me to walk to the Pit Stop and go get some liquor. I have a couple people at work that I can communicate with about this struggle. So, one of them took outside and got me too stoned (I work at a dispensary these days) I forgot all about drinking for like 3 hours hahahahaha

1 Like

I have been keeping this idea in my head, and better habits!! I know my garden is getting watered more now that I am paying attention to stuff when I get home.

I’ve been told in AA meeting to be careful and eat sugar as I was pretty tired liké m’y body is recovering. I’ve Lost pound and Can feel it. 16 days today. Hope you are ok :heart:

2 Likes

Thanks, love! Some days are real tough and I feel like a tornado of distruction if I don’t drink. But it’s day 18, and 3
20 sounds real good, and so does 30 days. I went in the bathroom at work and laughed like a straight maniac yesterday LOL. But I didn’t give in and I didn’t give up! I hope your journey is treating you well too, Kadiatou :heart::orange_heart::yellow_heart:

2 Likes

Oh! Outshine pops are awesome. I should pick some up. I tend to “be good” for a while with the sugar and then give in and eat like a box of animal crackers or like 4 donuts :rofl:

Oh my gosh for real and don’t even get me started on girl scout season!

1 Like