Criticism during relapse

“Relapse is part of recovery” blurs the distinction between pathology and health. You don’t hear people describing a reoccurrence of cancer, heart attack, or stroke as part of their recovery from these disorders. It attaches unwarranted value and nobility to the resumption of drug or alcohol use. Maybe a different approach is necessary this time…find what works and stick to it. Use what’s in your toolbox to avoid that next relapse. I’ve been sober over a year and never relapsed…we all have our own journey but no, relapsing is not part of recovery

6 Likes

I understand what you’re saying…Maybe I should rephrase it. I guess what I mean that relapses can be very common for a lot of people at one time or another. I find it to be more common with myself within the first couple of weeks when I quit. I’ve said to myself “you literally can’t drink” “you dont have control” “you can’t do this again”. I literally never want to drink again, but I don’t know what’s going to happen tomorrow or next week…even a year from now. I find myself more likely to relapse within the first couple of weeks trying to quit. I guess I can’t say it’s part of recovery, but common. I guess what I mean is that I can’t beat myself up about it. All I can do is move forward. Maybe I just tell myself to feel less crappy about myself for slipping. Thanks for the advice.

2 Likes

I think also the body is fighting you on it, especially around the second week.
It’s a battle but you can fight It and win the fight Jane… :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

This is true. It is so easy to get caught in the tar-pit of regret and mental self-flagellation, which will only keep one stuck right where they are. The best thing to do is to get up, and get after it.

So what will you do differently this time, so as not to end up relapsing? I can tell you what I did differently. I have 860 days since my drink. I also have 860 days of visiting this forum. I don’t think this is a coincidence.

1 Like

I think a lot of it for me is that after a month or so I think I’m fine, and don’t need further steps for recovery. Once the cravings and temptation of being around it are over I think “well I don’t need to keep up with this I’m fine”. Obviously it never works. I don’t ever forget how much drinking has been self destructive, however I think I can tend to forget that it’s always going to be a battle that I constantly have to maintain. I’ve been on forums before and they are helpful. I feel AA would also ne be beneficial. It’s hard to find common ground with drinkers or find and outlet when it’s everywhere. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are a lot of online meeting options here, if this is something you would like to try out: Online meeting resources

4 Likes

Jane, the fact that you are at that point of transition from short quit-I’m fine-drink again to I can’t drink again, is a point of commonality with many here on TS, and I would imagine AA as well.

I was on that quit/fine/drink merry-go-round for many years, until one day I decided I was tired of the repetition of the scenery. So I got off the ride, and started walking in one direction. As long as I keep moving forward, the vistas change every day. It’s a glorious experience.

Decide to be better, and then work to be better. You will get better at getting better. Better today than you were yesterday and tomorrow better still. It all starts with sober. Sober IS better.

2 Likes

Thank you!