Dam it again!

After 18 days I jacked up. Cane snowboarding to warwick,ny with my son and watching all the other parents enjoy a beer really tempted me. Now i have to start again. This warm weather and watching people in a festive mood got to me. How am i going to deal with this?

1 Like

Try a meeting? Or try avoiding a situation where you are going to cave so easily. The weather is probably going to be nice for at least a few months. Using that as an excuse to drink is going to keep you pretty drunk.

12 Likes

warm weather, snowboarding with your son, being around people in a festive mood all sound like tremendous things to be grateful for to me. not so much triggers. maybe just try and enjoy and appreciate what’s going right in life. remind yourself what lead you to the desire to abstain for 18 days in the first place.

8 Likes

What are you doing to grow your sobriety?

4 Likes

Above really.
These temptations are going to be around unless you become a hermit!
Which in very early days I did. Didnt go anywhere apart from work.
It made it easier because I knew how hard it would be from experience!
If being sober is what you want then you have to be prepared To work hard at it.

4 Likes

Yes and i told myself that? I tried to ask myself “ehat an i thinking about? What is triggering me, that i am making an excuse for?” But after walking by the beer stand 5 times and not stoping, i went for it. I felt like crap as soon as i took that first sip.

I may have to do this but i have so many events coming up that i am afraid. I am back on day 1 but i need to really work the program.

I have been reading a few books, Rational recovery, quit for 30 days, and naked mind. I was checking my thoughts and turning any negative thoughts to positive. Praying and meditating. Now that i think about in the past few days i was not diligent with it. I let my mental guard down , and look what happened.

I should have been just grateful. I will continue a gratitude list geared toward i am so gratrful i can do this or haventhis because i am sober

1 Like

Perhaps these events don’t need you to be there?
Idk. But might it be best to stay away. Just a thought. Imo.:grinning:

4 Likes

Did you stop at the first sip, ya know when you “felt like crap”, or did you just power through that feeling like crap and keep drinking?

4 Likes

Some of the things I’ve used are individual and group counseling, AA (you can check out SMART recovery, too), and medication. I found that I had to have the input of like minded people to really boost my commitment to sobriety .

3 Likes

Since its warm you could bring a book and sit outside or in the car and read to avoid temptations. Also there are some art galleries in and around Warwick depending on time. Also Depending on time, Sugarloaf isnt that far away for a nice stroll to browse the avenue shops and art exhibitions. Plenty of options to hide from temptation. Good luck to you

1 Like

I definitely said “f* it” and chugged it. Didnt even enjoy at all. It was so stupid, but instead of stopping i felt this gloom and doom feeling and just figured i might as well. One good thing though, i didnt buy another one.

1 Like

Whats sugarloaf? I would love to do that but my son is little so i cant leave him snowboarding alone, i have avoided the temptation before, i just give my self food😜 this time, i was not mentally prepared. I pray by next season i will be 7 months in. Thank you for the advice!

I did AA but im not a very vical person so it was hard for me to share and have people approach me asking my number and such. Everyone was lovely and welcoming but i think part of that anxiety is because i have spent so many years drinking alone. I still keep i touch with a woman whom wanted to be my sponsor, but i dropped it because i didnt want to let her down. What medication do you mean? Wont that be a slippery slope?

Im mot sure how close to mt
Peter but heres a link

http://www.sugarloafnewyork.com/fun/

I moved to Az. 4 years ago and my memory may be off but i think its only a short drive.

1 Like

For me AA is more about listening than sharing. My ego tells me I need to talk. However, my higher power prefers if I listen. Sobriety doesn’t just happen. You have to work for it. What amount of work are you willing to put in? Are you willing to get uncomfortable? Are you willing to miss events? Are you willing to ask a person face to face for help?

4 Likes

I found this where David Feherty the professional golfer admitted to a relapse. Powerful stuff.

He says: “I thought, ‘You know what, I’ve been sober 10 years. I’m tired of it. … I want to feel better,’” Feherty said, “and I convinced myself that it would make me better and before I knew it, it had me under control.”

Feherty explained how he still feels guilty for not spending more time with his son before Shey’s death.
“I just wasn’t there. I was always gone,” Feherty said. “Times that I was drunk. Times that I was high. Those could’ve been times that I spent with him.”

I hope the meetings in your area are like the ones around here. We welcome newcomers who just want to listen. It’s really heartwarming to hear other people share how they got sober and stay sober.

There are a couple of meds commonly used. I was on Antabuse. If you drink while taking this, you will get violently ill and develop a hangover almost immediately. This gave me some confidence to not worry about drinking. There’s also naloxone, which can help cut cravings in sober alcoholics. I worked on some of the research studies for that, the science is fair to middling in support of the claims, in my opinion.

2 Likes