Day 1 - again. Hoping to stay on track šŸ˜–

Hi all,
Hoping to find support and strength here! Day 1 for me. Sick of being sick and tired. Iā€™ve no control where alcohol is concerned and iā€™m pretty over the fall out. Iā€™ve done 90 days before (about 2 years ago) then jumped right back in! I miss it. Iā€™m dreading the weekend. I honestly donā€™t know who I am without a glass of wine in my hand. :yum: guess itā€™s time to find out.

8 Likes

Time to change your life! Thatā€™s what itā€™s going to take.
Youā€™ve had 90 days before so you and your body know what that feels like.
Best thing to do is read around on here, example, if you type " tips for the new person" in, there is a whole thread dedicated.
I would say more, but Iā€™m on my holiday so donā€™t have much time.
Stick around!:grinning:

5 Likes

Welcome here and welcome to the new sober you Kate! This place is great to find support and advice in how to live your life sober. Indeed being sober is about a lot more then just not having that glass in your hand. We have to relearn how to live life in a way. Itā€™s investing in a better future for ourselves. Happy to have you with us all and success!

5 Likes

Welcome and congratulations you have made a wise decision, there is so much useful info here and support, stick around, read, post, talk to us, chances are someone has been feeling exactly how you are feeling now.

Three things you could do today to help kick start things- tell close friends and family your done drinking, this helps keep you accountable! Get ride of any booze in the house and replace with tasty sweet drinks, fizzy mango is my favourite. Make a sober plan, what are you going to do to make the changes in life happen?

Youā€™ve got this, and we have your back x

4 Likes

Check this thread Daily Tip for the Struggling Newbie for ideas to change your behavior patterns and your attitudes. Capitalize your motivation into action!

2 Likes

Good luck. Stay strong. You got this.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. So nice to be with like minded people. Iā€™m feeling pretty emotional tonight. Canā€™t explain it. As I said in first post- iā€™ve done this before. However - I never intended to never drink again. I could not stand the thought. The 90 days I did - I felt better. Loved waking up with no regrets and with total recall. However I could not attend parties or concerts or go out for dinner as the urge to drink was just horrific. I felt like something was missing. Iā€™m worried this will happen again. That iā€™ll slip back. I know itā€™s one day at a time- I have the tattoo :blush: I routinely drink a bottle of wine a night. Way more if iā€™m out. Lately iā€™ve started buying mini bottles of vodka as one bottle of wine is not enough. Itā€™s sick. Itā€™s embarrassing to be blind at every function. To blackout constantly. To have my 11 yo help me to bed, to say awful things to my husband, to feel the pain of atomic hangovers, to feel the shame and self hatred! All this and Iā€™m still scared shitless of going sober! Itā€™s crazy. I have 4 days off this week (highly unusual) and making the decision last night to stop drinking has given me a feeling of peace as I know I would have been secretly day drinking before anyone home. Iā€™m going to hit the gym, get a massage, do some gardening and read from my vast collection of sober books! I am glad iā€™m here. Thank you :blush: :pray:t2:

5 Likes

This will change if you change how you feel about alcohol.
Iā€™ve been to 3 concerts and a had a day at a rock festival. It is possible.
Just say to yourself"I donā€™t drink"
At the moment its best not to think about the future. What will be will be.
I can and do regularly enjoy myself without drink, whereas before I thought I had to be drunk to.

2 Likes

you are right - best not to think ahead! One day at a time. I canā€™t wait to get to a point where I feel normal and ok without it.

This book has transformed the way I view alcohol and drinking, maybe worth a shot. Massage sounds heaven and such a lovely treat to yourself :heart_eyes:
51hPqoPhbnL

4 Likes

Welcome @Cupkate74! Youā€™re in a great place. First off, you came here. Secondly, you admitted you had a problem. I too once did 90 days funny thing is it was also about 2 years ago. I recently have 8 days and Iā€™m gping strong. You CAN do this. The people here are fantastic. They check in on you, care, root for you and cheer you on. People here have been where you are now. Myself included. Check in early and often. Read and post whenever you like. A favorite saying aroind these parts is youā€™ll never crave alone. Which is true. I like to say We ALL have your back! So again, welcome and best of luck on yoir sober journey. You GOT this!

4 Likes

thank you! can I ask why you went back to it after 90 days? I did because I could not seem to go out and have fun without it. I could not go to functions, restaurants, parties etc. I did other things but I missed it and thought I would be able to control it. I ate soo much chocolate as craved sweet stuff that instead of looking great and losing weight I put on weight. I tried on a pair of old pants the day I bought a bottle and they were tight. And the stress, self hatred and disgust in myself could only be made better with my old friend wine! Iā€™m not eating chic this timeā€¦ I hit the gym this morning and iā€™m going for a walk now and iā€™m not missing it today. And today is good enough right now :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Cupkate74 itā€™s not clear who you have replied to. I would recommend you reply to the personā€™s actual post instead of just using the reply function at the bottom of the thread, the way you have replied does not notify the person of your reply. If you look at this post I have written theyā€™re is a little arrow at the bottom right of it if you do it that way it will notify the person. Otherwise they are unlikely to realise that you have asked them something.
Your can also tag somebody like I just did with you, to do this your simply use the @symbol and survey the users screen name from the list that comes up. :+1::grin::grimacing::slightly_smiling_face:

Its day one for me too. This is the first time Iā€™m using a sober app on my phone to help. I just learned how to post I was so frustrated I almost deleted everything. Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t. Boy its early but Iā€™ve been here before. Thanks to everyone thatā€™s honest.

1 Like

I have almost 90 days of consecutive sobriety. Iā€™m not bragging by any means. Iā€™ve had my fair share of ā€œback to day 1ā€. The only way Iā€™ve been able to do it is by deciding that that wasnā€™t the life that I wanted to live that life anymore. I was miserable when I was drinking. Alcohol controlled me, not vice versa. A good day? Deserved a relaxing evening with beer. A bad day? Deserved a relaxing evening with beer. A good time? Wasnā€™t good without alcohol. A promotion? A heartbreak? Good or bad they all lead to the same poison. I wasnā€™t ok with that, not anymore. Keep reaching out and stay strong. Meetings help me a lot. I was very skeptical about AA. You think youā€™re talking to like minded people here? Go to a meeting and youā€™ll be surrounded by like minded people. All of which have had similar struggles as yours. Good luck!