Day 1 down

Some great tips there ODAAT9 to get you started!

If and when you go to a meeting, take some loose change with you and buy yourself a couple of AA publications.

One l can highly recommend for newly sober members as it’s easy to read and very relevant, is ‘Living Sober.’

Wishing you LOVE • STRENGTH • HOPE

4 Likes

If it helps you are definitely not alone in this. I have the shakes, anxiety and jist started nausea to the point any smells make me wanna throw up. Anytime you need someone to talk to I’m here!

3 Likes

I take my loose change for the cause. The books were given to me for free!
There is also a big book plus the others free on an app
Wish you well, Odaat!!

1 Like

Symptoms have lessened for me a bit as the day went on. Still shakey but definitely not as bad as when I first woke up. I just hope it continues to improve and doesn’t get super bad! Best of luck to you as well :blush:

1 Like

It will get better as long as you stick with it! I just hit 2 weeks sober today and it definitely was a rollercoaster ride to get here but I much better than I have in a really long time. I’m still struggling with sleep because I used alcohol to put me to sleep for years.
My best tips are getting some sleepy type tea and reading in bed. Maybe take a hot shower and put on some fresh pjs before you get in bed and read something. Try not to use your phone or any screens bc it will keep you awake. Don’t try to force yourself to sleep. Laying in the dark can be a perfect environment for your anxiety and overthinking to take over. I just read and read until I drop the book from dozing off. You could also try listening to some meditation or ASMR videos.

2 Likes

Yeah I have been drinking heavily for 3-4 years and even when I’d stop one day a week, I would struggle sleeping. But last night was just terrible! Will try some of these suggestions. Thank you!

1 Like

Oh lucky you, Becky!

I only got the little version of the Big Book free when l went to my 1st meeting.

Either way, money stays within AA.

Apps.are great but I think nothing beats your own beat up hard copy of the BB with writing and highlighter all over it.

It’s a big change, but we have to create a new bedtime routine for our bodies to get used to. I also struggle with anxiety pretty bad in general, so I know how that is amplified when giving up alcohol and not having the ability to “self medicate”. I would personally avoid Xanax because it can be a slippery slope to start taking it, and this is a time when you body and mind are quite vulnerable.

I have anxiety as well, and was prescribed the Xanax for my panic attacks which I don’t have anymore, so I don’t use the Xanax and haven’t in months. But this morning, I was shaking very badly and couldn’t go back to sleep so I took one. They are very low dose. And my doctor had advised me if I do detox (this was a couple of months ago), I can take one to help with side effects… I likely won’t be taking another as my symptoms have improved pretty well so far. If symptoms do worsen, is there any recommendations on what to take instead of the Xanax?

2 Likes

Check these out

Check out The alcohol experiment! Im on day 17 and working it. This angle is good for my rational mind and they give you a lot of food for thought

Ooo thank you for this! I am not the best at navigating this app yet lol

I just learned how to quote!! Select someones text and a quote button pops up!

And i just learned you cant quote the entire post before you hehe

1 Like

I know, such a bummer!!

Very, very irritable and depressed today. Night sweats were so bad last night that my sheets were wet. :persevere: trying to stay positive. Man this is tough.

6 Likes

I really had a hard time with the irritable phase, but I’m happy to tell you it will pass! Take this time to be gentle with yourself and just rest as much as you can, even if that’s not sleeping. Give your body what it needs, lots of water and good food. Go outside if you can. Try to do something relaxing like take a bath or lay down and watch a movie. Don’t try to force yourself to be any more productive than absolutely necessary. Your body and mind are already working very hard at this time. Be kind to yourself as best you can.

1 Like

I have had my boyfriend with me the past 2 nights to make sure I’m okay while sleeping and to not drink. He won’t be with me tonight, I think that is playing a factor as I usually drink alone , well because I can , but now that I am quitting I think I will get those urges. Also had 2 night terrors and he was there to calm me down. But I also don’t want to rely on him.

1 Like

Welcome. I know you wrote that your boyfriend has been with you but that you don’t want to rely on him. Understandable. While it’s not perfect, feel free to hang on on this board as much as you need to help you get through things, especially if you tend to cave when you’re alone. Hang in there. You can do it.

2 Likes

Yes I’ve already found this app extremely helpful and I appreciate everyone’s comments and support! Thank you.

1 Like