Day 1 -- here goes

I made a decision to stop drinking yesterday. I’ve been considering it for awhile but just wasn’t quite ready. Over the last 1.5 years, more so the past 6 months, I’ve been coping with stress and difficult emotions with wine. I always said in the past, if I were to ever get addicted to anything. it’d be alcohol because I like to drink. I was speaking to my husband last night and telling him that I like to feel buzzed. I didn’t drink to get drunk, I drank to relax and feel good. I become more likeable when I’m buzzed. It was just something I ended up turning to because I felt good and I was happy. I am being treated for my own mental health issues, mainly anxiety. I used to workout and eat healthy, I lost a good bit of weight and now I’ve gained it all back plus 20lbs. I have goals that I want to accomplish and I’d love to get back into the routine of working out and eating healthy again. I was my best self then. I am busy, I work a full time job during the week at an office and work part time in the evenings and weekends at home. I am a mom of 2 boys :blue_heart::blue_heart: and I have a wonderful husband who is going through so so much medically. I’ve had a lot more responsibilities the last 2 years that I just feel overwhelmed a lot of the time. Stuff pisses me off and I come home and drink. I always get stuff done at home. I am always needed and I strive to meet the needs of others but nobody’s really meeting my needs. Alcohol makes me tired and I lose energy. I sleep good and wake up feeling like crap. As today is winding down, I’m noticing that I have had a great bit of energy today and even now. I went to the store today and didn’t even look or go down the wine aisle. I hope to stay motivated but I’m just going to focus on one day at a time. I will find new ways to cope that make me happy. Glad to have support and read what others share. Thanks for listening :purple_heart:

25 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Read a lot and post often. That’s what’s most helpful, at least to me.

I am glad you’re here.

6 Likes

Welcome! Similar boat myself, less than 48hour in.
Good luck in your journey!

5 Likes

Day 2 for me!! Need to chat everyday to keep my mind busy and not think about drinking.

5 Likes

I can relate to a lot of what you said, and I also have one day sober.

5 Likes

Welcome Alex! We will all have to check on each other to keep us honest!!!

4 Likes

Welcome Marie,
@Alex62
Have a good read around here. This place has been a great place for me to get support in my sobriety. Addiction is too tough to go it alone. We are stronger in numbers. And we are all worth it.
:pray:t2::heart:
Here are two good threads to start:

@tybosan
@Scrammbles
@Parkcas2

7 Likes

But today you choose you because quitting an addiction is choosing for yourself.
Setting your needs on front (a sober life!) has loads of bennefits for you and your loved ones :heavy_heart_exclamation:

Wow…I sound like a commercial :sweat_smile:

Nevermind, still mean it :relaxed:
Congratulation with your day :one: :tada::tada::tada:

5 Likes

Good choice in deciding to put down the bottle, this is a great community of people recovering, what ever it may be that troubles you theres always someone here willing to listen an offer support and encouragement to help get through the days. Glad to have yous along alot of topics and good network of people all working on sobriety.:+1:

3 Likes

Awesome post and welcome to TS! Congrats on making the decision to stop know. It’s a great decision for YOU personally, and your family will also be benefactors of you making this solid decision to remove alcohol from your life.

4 Likes

Thanks for posting, your story is very relatable!

Congratulations on your day one :grinning:

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing, this is an amazing place to join , the support is outstanding

2 Likes

It sounds to me that you are ready for a break from alcohol. Just keep that focus with work and staying active and manage your anxiety. Adding alcohol to the mix will only add more problems to your mental health and physically it messes you up. One day at a time. You have nothing to loose and a lot to gain

2 Likes

Welcome to this wonderful forum! Happy to have you here

2 Likes

Welcome, i can honestly say this community here is amazing, they have held me up when times are bad and smiled with me through the good.
Keep posting here it really makes such a difference to staying sober and theres lots to read to keep you busy.
:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Day 1 for me. And I can so relate to so many things you said in your post, especially the chasing the buzzed feeling but for me it usually ended up having to much. Wish you the best in your recovery. Keep sharing and do what you can for today.

2 Likes