Day 1 - my first step...admitting it to myself

Okay, well I’d be lying if I didn’t say that the commitment I’ve just made to myself and my partner didn’t scare me but I’ve always been an all or nothing person and I’ve spent too long doing all so as of today it’s nothing.

It’s taken a long time for me to face this head on and there are several addictions I am removing from my life at once :cold_sweat: As tempting and sensible as it is to try and address one at a time, I know what I’m like and trust myself a lot more to see this through if there is nothing impairing my judgement or resolve.

Addiction took a firm grip on me but it’s time to take back control of my life.

I welcome any suggestions on things that this community has learnt on ways to cope, stay focused, change their mindset, adjust their lifestyles etc.

Day 1…here we go :muscle:

8 Likes

There were two main things that helped me quit.

1. Knowing that I am unable to control my alcohol intake as soon as I take the first drink. Even id it has been days or months since I had my last drink.

2. I stopped romanticizing alcohol. I finally understood that there was not a single positive that came from my drinking. I was not missing out on fun or happiness when I put down the drink. I was giving my body and mind the opportunity to find a more sustainable and longer lasting happiness.

6 Likes

Welcome, @KLP! Glad you could join us. Read around, post, and reach out as much as you need to. A lot of us check in daily on the that thread to maintain our accountability. I know that has helped me a huge amount - especially in the early days, and now as part of my daily sober routine.

And congrats on your Day 1. It’s a big day, an important day. :orange_heart:

2 Likes

Hi and welcome :raising_hand_woman:
What has helped me was being here every day to check in sober. I used the daily check in tread wich @M-be-free49 mentioned to do so. It’s a very active tread with loads of helpful surportive people in it. So I hope to see you there :heart:
My doc is alcohol. What helped me (and still does) is making a plan for what to do when cravings occur. Being prepared is half the work :wink:
What also has helped me is to avoid every alcohol related event the first 3 months ore so.
Less temptation is less possibility for a relapse.
See you around :facepunch:

4 Likes