Day 1 - My introduction

Hi folks,

I’m Adam, 37 yo male from the UK.

Today I have made the decision to stop. For good.

Alcohol has slowly worn down my marriage, my relationship with my children and my job. My mental health has suffered, as has my physical health.

My drink of choice was vodka and I would drink 3-4 days of the week.

I am sick of feeling the way I do!!

Hoping to make positive connections here with people who are going through the same thing.

17 Likes

Welcome @adameighty6 to an amazing sober community! Come here often! The community support is amazing

1 Like

Welcome, Adam! This is a supportive community. I know it’s made a huge difference to me in my journey. Read around, see what you find helpful and visit often!

1 Like

Maybe try a meeting Adam might help wish you well

1 Like

Hi Adam.
Welcome,this place is awesome.
Check around, get involved in topics.
And check in when you feel like you need it.
That’s what I do.
It has helped me a lot.

1 Like

Welcome Adam…yeah i was vodka too…straight…as fast as i could get it down! Youve come to the right place for sure…i wouldnt be almost a year sober without these wise folks on here…hopefully one day il feel good enough to call myself one of them. Read around, ask for help whenever u need theres no judgement here. Glad you found us :blush:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community Adam
Grateful that you have started your sober journey. This is a wonderful community to be a part of. You will find loads of support and love here. You will not feel alone or judged here. Take time to read around and soak in all the amazing stories / advice.

A few of my favorite threads that help are
Checking in daily to maintain focus #57
and
Daily Gratitude, The Air Of Recovery #4

The sobriety journey is not a very easy one but it is worth it in every aspect! Wishing you strength my friend - hope to see you around

2 Likes

How did Day 1 turn out?

1 Like

Welcome Adam :blush: I am from the UK too. How are you doing today?

3 Likes

Hello Adam, welcome to the TS family. Get involved and keep on posting. Hope to see you around :heartpulse:
:squid:

2 Likes

Welcome Adam, this place is awesome

Hello Adam, I’m in the UK too. I’ve only been a member since Friday and am already amazed by the support on here. I can totally relate to the effect alcohol has had on you, I denied I had a problem for many years, having absolutely no understanding of what alcohol dependency was. Even when my wife expressed some genuine, kind concern my response would be “Well I’m not exactly pouring vodka on my cornflakes am I?” assuming that because I was able to get up and work every day I didn’t have problem.
I have to admit that I have massively underestimated just how hard it is, having already made some schoolboy errors since Friday! I have stopped before through the help of my local free counselling service which I have re-signed up to and am starting again soon and I thoroughly recommend this.
Feel free to message me any time, and best of luck!

5 Likes

Not bad thank you! Just very thoughtful, lots went through my head. Scared but determined.

3 Likes