Day 1 of trying to stay sober

Goodmorning all!! I have been drinking for years now and it’s time to try and get rid of the habit! Are there any over the counter medications in order to avoid alcohol withdrawal please??

9 Likes

Some B vitamins, D3, magnesium calcium zinc are recommended in the evening/not with caffeine.

Hydrate. Hygiene. Hibernation. You can do it.

11 Likes

The only medication I have heard of for beating alcohol just makes you sick when you drink.
Like Steve said drink lots of water, get rest, being active helps as well

2 Likes

Tons of water, light exercise, and anything you need to do to get through the day… bath, books, video game, candy etc etc… first two weeks your body is purging the poison. Stay strong, but if you need real help medically detoxing- go get it!

1 Like

Welcome! The first days are going to be a bit rough but you CAN do it :purple_heart: :hugs: I agree hole heartedly with what @Faugxh recommended. The B vitamins especially B12 helped me a lot. Rest and fluids are key.

1 Like

Just echoing everyone else – drink lots of water, maybe add in electrolytes. I was skeptical then amazed at how much better my body feels when I’m properly hydrated and not force feeding myself poison all the time lol. Keep a journal to track your progress and be observant of what you’re body is telling you. :purple_heart:

1 Like

@Clinnyb Nothing OTC as far as l know, only what others here have suggested which are considered ‘supportive’
The safest and least uncomfortable way to detox is by taking benzodiazepines (aka Valium, Diazepam) in a healthcare setting.

As you are probably aware, this group of meds is only available to you if you have a prescription from your Doc.
Even then, medicos are hesitant to prescribe them these days,especially in the home setting.

Their primary concerns is that you may continue to drink alcohol as well as take the benzos, which can be lethal.
Also, if you were a very heavy drinker, you may suffer seizures, even while taking benzos.

Have you considered rehab or at least thought about asking your local Dr to support you through a home based detox?

There’s no question about it, detox is hard,very hard! But not impossible as many of these fine humans on TS will attest to!

All the best to you on your journey of sobriety :heart:

Alright @Clinnyb, how have you been since day 1? What did you do to ease your withdrawal and how are you holding up?

:muscle:

2 Likes

Hi it wasn’t as bad as i tought

1 Like

That is very good to hear! :slight_smile:

Now begins the road of recovery for you. I’ll attach a few helpful threads to get you going and keep you grounded and inspired. Make sure to check in here a lot! It helps!

Resources for our recovery
Advice for the Newcomer and Constant Relapser
Welcome to the forum! 2022
Mental health memes and discussion (Part 1)

1 Like

Try and learn to like lots of flavored seltzer waters. It’s inexpensive and not bad for you. Just saying it works for me. Plus all the other things suggested above. Time time time :timer_clock: :timer_clock: :timer_clock:

Relapse is very hard trying to find the right mindset is harder, I need to find it again :muscle:

How :thinking:any ideas are good xxxxx