Day 1 Over Again

Maybe add coming in here daily, checking in, writing about what you are feeling…the good stuff, the bad stuff…

4 Likes

Hey runner
You’re a human being, not a programme.
Take care of yourself. Don’t be hard on yourself, live in the moment and stay sober for just one day, then again and again………

Forgiveness is moving forward.

Much love and kindness

5 Likes

Thank you all.

I had some serious urges today. About talked myself into driving to the liquor store and getting fireball shooters (which is my go to).

Ended up not doing it.

Went to the park with my wife and kids, took an afternoon nap, watched football, played football and tag with my sons, mowed the yard, and overall had a good day.

I am proud of myself.

Thank you and love you all for the support. On to day 2 tomorrow.

9 Likes

I have relapsed so many times. I want to be sover and e joy it but then the weekend comes and i suddenly forget how much i enjoy sober life. Its caused me to gain so much weight. Im back at it, trying to be sober and lose weight again

2 Likes

Keep trying til it sticks :purple_heart:

1 Like

You should be proud of yourself. Adulting is hard…escaping is way easier. One breath at a time.

3 Likes

Maybe try a meeting wish you well

2 Likes

How was your day today?

2 Likes

Hey Matt. First off, I cannot express how grateful I am of comments like this checking in on me. It shows me how special this community of people are.

My day has been good so far. My sleep last night was pretty crappy, as lately I have been waking up in the middle of the night and struggling to fall back asleep. Is that common with drinkers who are trying to stop?

I am at work now and just went on a 4 mile run over my lunch period. I am running the Chicago Marathon in 2 weeks and have been training pretty seriously to get a PR. My previous best is 4:36, but I am geared up to run a 3:30-3:45 after putting nearly 450 miles in for my training period since June.

Post 5pm is the hardest part of my day. That is when I would generally stop by the liquor store and get two 100ml of Fireball and drink them on the way home. I am not looking forward to 5pm today, but I have the courage to pull through and make the right decision.

Thank you for checking in on me.

4 Likes

My pleasure, happy to hear from you :innocent:

Yes it is. Search “sleep” in the search bar and you’ll find many threads about it - you’re sure to find lots of stories and tips. A lot of people have developed a nighttime routine that helps them, some do herbal teas, hot showers / baths, sleep meditations (there are many sleep playlists on Apple Music, Spotify, www.InsightTimer.com, etc), and other helpful sleep tools.

I also have trouble at specific times of the day, in my case it’s around 5:00 and also sometimes later in the evening. I have had mixed success navigating those but I can share that many people have those times where it’s been a habit to “act out” and indulge our addiction. Addiction is habit, and habits can be changed. Having help, helps (which is partly why we’re here!).

One tip I follow that has helped me many times is a simple rule:
You have permission to do anything that’s safe and legal, to stay sober.

Why don’t you get yourself some ice cream on the way home or a large strawberry milkshake? It is something you’d look forward to, and that gives you something to think about instead of the booze (which is poison anyway, so a strawberry milkshake is 100% a healthy choice there).

Also, check in here at 5:00. Share a picture of your milkshake on the Foodies thread!

Foodies Unite #5 (trigger warning food) TAKE ANOTHER LITTLE PIZZA MY HEART!

And/or if you want to check in here that works too:

Checking in daily to maintain focus #48

Take care and don’t give up. It is one day, one hour, 5 minutes at a time. Keep asking for help and keep sharing :innocent: Addiction is about being numb and disconnected. Health (which includes being sober) is about being connected. Staying connected helps keep you safe.

1 Like

Learn what does and does not work for you. The fact that you’re back after relapsing speaks volumes. I’m on day 10 now again myself. You’ve got this.

4 Likes

I am also on “Day one”. I have been finding myself stopping at the liquor store for a pint of vodka DAILY. I’ve been hiding, or attempting to, my drinking from my wife and kids. To no avail.
I went into the garage this morning, after my wife had left for work, and sitting on my workbench was my empty bottle, with a note from my wife. There was one word on it. REALLY?

It really hit home with me. I have to be better for my family, and myself.

3 Likes

You’ve got the will now, find the way.

2 Likes

Man, that’s my biggest fear. As tough as that was to stomach, I’m sure it hit home for you to realize that something needs to change.

Some days I wish I would get caught in order to confront it and have the conversation with my wife. I feel like I have a huge secret weighing on my shoulders (because I do) and until that secret is released that I will struggle more than I do.

I’m currently at about 2.5 days right now and plan to have this conversation. I am finding the time to have it.

Good luck to you my friend. Hug your wife and kids tonight.

5 Likes

Looks like you made it past 5:00 today. That’s a win - one day at a time :innocent:

2 Likes

Thanks runner. I got to make it stick this time.

I had a quiet dinner with my wife this evening. We discussed what my “plan” is. She’s a great lady.

Best of luck to you as well!

4 Likes

It all starts with one day mate and one day at a time is all we can ever do

1 Like

@runner @Daybyday how are you guys doing? What are the plans?

I fell off but have got back on. Everyday is a struggle. I did 375 days sober for a NY resolution. I know I have it within me, need to keep reaching

2 Likes

Happiness comes if you stay sober