Day 1 sobriety advice

Im on day 1. Would really like some help mentally with getting through this. If anyone could reach out or leave a comment that would be great. Thank you all

11 Likes

Congratulations with your decision to quit. This place is a great help to start with.
My tip? Read, read and read here on the forum! There are loads of tips and info here for your day one and all others to follow.
And to start with: fill your fridge with healthy foods, get rid of all the alcohol in your house ore ask your partner/roommate to put it out of your sight.
Avoid alcohol related events/friends/places for a while.
Be nice to yourself: rest, take a bath ore hot shower. Treat yourself with icecream ore sweets if you feel you need it. Eating sweets is better then drinking.
Drink enough fluids to get rid of the toxids in your body.
Be here much! It really helps!

See you around! :raising_hand_woman:
And PS welcome!!

7 Likes

Welcome @JcMitchum good to see you here!
Drink a lot of water and - if you like it - tea to rehydrate. Grab as much sleep as you can. Be kind to yourself and take it one moment a time. Don’t use your DOC.
I recommend reading around here, lot of good stuff and valuable shares to find. If you’re looking for somerhing in particular, use the search function (magnifying glass).
There are good threads to get started pinned on the welcome thread (pinned globally, you saw it on the first page).
Wish you all the best :hugs::pray:

2 Likes

Treat yourself as if youre recovering from a life threatening disease…because you are.

2 Likes

Welcome, you’ve found a great place :grinning: I have nothing new to add but strongly agree with the above posts. Reading personal stories of others helped me understand that I am an alcoholic but especially that I’m not alone and I can recover like those before me. What helps me also is living day by day and for just for today, I won’t drink. If cravings overwhelm me badly, as they have over the holidays, I tell myself just for the next hour, I won’t drink. Often by the next hr, my craving is gone and I’ve forgotten about the drink. Your sleep will soon improve, walk lots and outside is best. Walking helps get ride of all sorts of bent up energy and its a great time to listen to whatever your feelings want in the way of music or sober audio literature. Wishing you all the best!!!

2 Likes

Welcome James and congratulations on day 1.
Have a good read around and join in when your comfortable.
Here are two good threads to start:

2 Likes

Welcome! Coming here is a great first step. My basic advice is this: be active here, be open here, participate. The amount of time I spent drinking, I spent on here in the beginning.

Welcome @JcMitchum ! This place is amazing and if you use it it will help you beyond measure. You are amongst people that know exactly how hard this path can be at times and the support and understanding here is priceless. I’m so glad that you have decided that enough is enough and that you have taken the most difficult step in admitting that you have a problem with alcohol. My DOC was alcohol and with this forum and taking it one day at a time I’m over 800 days sober. Just be gentle with yourself. It’s great to meet you and I look forward to seeing you around :pray:t2::two_hearts:

My advice is try a meeting might help . dont put your eggs all in one basket there are more ways to get sober wish you well

It might not get easier but life gets a whole lot better. Keep going. One day at a time.

Hi James, l’m also newly sober at Day 6.l joined TS on Day 1 just to try something new.I must say,it has helped immensely with getting myself out of my own head.l’m finding reading other people’s stories really comforting.l’m also browsing through some ‘just for fun’ threads to keep myself entertained and to block thoughts of drinking. When l start to get down on myself that l’m not being very productive or motivated,l remind myself that at least l’m not drinking,and that in time,my energy will return and l will be able to be more functional and enjoy normal activities again(without alcohol). As someone mentioned,the early days are all about survival-so just breathe,eat healthy food,drink lots of water,and sleep(or at least rest and read some positive material).Don’t overthink your feelings and emotions-just notice them and let them pass through.They can’t hurt or kill you,even though it sometimes feels that way. Happy NY and stay strong :muscle: