Day 1, starting again

I’ve tried quiting drinking for years and I have had no success for more than a few days to a week(besides when I was pregnant) what are some things that help you stay sober? I’ve read books etc., I haven’t tried AA meetings yet. I work around a lot of alcohol unfortunately so it makes it even more difficult, but I don’t want that to be an excuse. Any advice helps.

3 Likes

Welcome. Back? I see you been on here before. But you don’t have much of a history on here.
Have a good read around. This place has been a great place for me to get support in my sobriety. Addiction is too tough to go it alone. We are stronger in numbers. And we are all worth it.

:pray:t2::heart:

Here are two good threads to start:
In case you haven’t seen them before.

1 Like

My biggest tool is my gratitude list. I do it on here EVERYDAY. Every single day morning. Gets my day going right. I got so much to be grateful for when I’m sober.

A few things that worked for me personally: lots of angry power walks. I was angry because I can’t drink like a normie. Crank up my iTunes and power walk sometimes twice a day. I kept my wine glass filled with sparkling water. Lots and lots of sparkling water. I did a lot of angry house cleaning too in the beginning because I had all this energy. And long hot shower around 5 pm. You know happy hour time. Get good and relaxed before dinner instead of buzzed.

And of course checking in here all the time.
I hope to see you around.
:pray:t2::heart:

3 Likes

Thanks for your message. I’m probably going to be doing some angry cleaning/walking too. I have been here awhile, but really just off and on. One reason being that the chat format was confusing me a bit, but I’m making an effort to get it figured out. I have to make a change and it has to happen now.

1 Like

I also enjoy

Lots of helpful friendly people on there. Well on all of them. But if you can’t figure something out just ask. Some of the long timers on here can explain things with a pic or a good easy direction.
:heart::pray:t2:

1 Like

Hello and welcome! I always wonder when I’m allowed to begin saying “I don’t drink.” I also tried quitting/easing up- off and on…up/down, and round and round we go. I quit just this past December 11th. I’ve spent hours reading here, and researching online about addiction and alcoholism…
I thought I understood what it looked like because I have/had people in my life that alcohol was clearly a problem, and managed to destroy.
A part of me still wouldn’t let go of the last piece of “I’m not that bad…everyone around me drinks, some more than me, I am fully functional…” blah blah.
I set the intent that day to stop. Something hit me like a slap to the face. I knew this time would be different. And so far, I’m right. :wink:
Take your time and figure the app out, it took me a while to navigate also. Totally worth it! And as of today, I don’t drink. I am a non-drinker :blush:
Good luck! :v:t3: :white_heart:

3 Likes

Thanks for your message. The last time I made it past a week I started calling myself a non-drinker the same day. I would talk to myself in the car and just say, “oh I don’t drink”, I was saying it to my brother who also struggles with addiction and he told me I sounded very convincing! I’m convincing myself.

Sometimes we have to convince ourselves a minute at a time, you know? Fake it till you make it, and then you won’t have to fake it anymore!

2 Likes

Hi there,
This is what helped me so far:

This worked for me, maybe it works for you too?
See you around 🙋
And take care :heart:

1 Like