Day 2 AF. Want to make it past 6 months this time

So this isn’t my first time quitting drinking. It is my first time that I am also seeking help for my mental health issues as well. Last time I quit drinking for 6 months and I kept waiting to feel better, but rarely did. The deep depression was still there. The anxiety. The inability to connect with friends and family below just the surface. This time I am reaching out for support. To be a part of communities with people who have/are going through the same thing as me. I have some amazing people who support me, but I cannot talk to them when I am low because they just won’t understand. Made the mistake of going of my ssri’s. Want to make an appointment with my doctor but I have missed my last 5 appointments with him due to sleeping it off or just being too hungover to drive. Contemplating trying these AA zoom calls.

9 Likes

Yes to all of what you are planning, and welcome to TS. Please see that doctor. Community is so important. TS is huge, and I also participate in online sobriety zoom meetings. We are rooting for you!

3 Likes

Day 3 for me and I also want to make it past 6 months this time! I abstained for 6 months a few years ago. We can do it again!

4 Likes

We are on the same day :slightly_smiling_face: we can definitely do it we just have to remember to get the support we need and stay focused :heart:

3 Likes

We literally are the exact same on everything you just said. I quit wanting to feel better then my depression and bipolar disorder come whispering in my ear “what the reason for getting sober you gonna still be a mess.” My family definitely doesn’t understand. And I have a friend or two that try…I am also thinking about attending the zoom meetings but I am terrified. But all in all I am in day four and it has been worth it, so I am glad your here and if I can lend a hear and relate don’t feel shy to reach out.

3 Likes

I have been thinking that the zoom meetings MUST be easier than the in person meetings. (Super high anxiety in social situations when AF). We should definitely go!! I am hoping this time trying for me will be different for me because I am seeking mental health help as well. There’s just such long wait times, it can be very frustrating. Msg me any time to vent, for support, for anything!!! I’ve never had people in my life who are going through the same things as me to talk to :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Your both doing awesome. I’ve been a few of the zoom meetings here and they are so up building. No judgment here. We are all going through this together. We definitely are here to help each other. Be strong.

3 Likes

Thank you for your kind words Dan!! I am going to try a zoom meeting tonight. Just have to figure out how to find them lol.

2 Likes

Same I have tried but haven’t been able to get in one. So if you find out let me know pls.

I will absolutely. I’ll be back in a few hours and will shoot you a msg with any info I find.

1 Like

Highly recommend women only meetings. Openness and honesty 100,% xx

The thread Daily/Weekly Zoom Meetings has daily links for a welcoming and no pressure meeting. I don’t know how to link the thread, but there’s been daily meetings this month and it’s been good to be at.

1 Like

How you doing @BrandiL…?..:star2::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

Be open minded to anything that may help, I wish I did the things I do now when I first tried to stay sober it could have saved me years of agony. Great to have you as part of the little community, your in a safe place and not alone. Wish you well on your journey.

4 Likes

@Hazy I’m doing well!! Keeping busy, the first 2 weeks for me (after withdrawing) are usually pretty easy for me to not drink because the shame and guilt is so high. Once that fades away is when I find I make the excuses that one won’t hurt. This time I know better and am looking to fill up this “toolbelt” I keep hearing about so I can continue to fight my alcoholism and blossom into a healthy human being and mother.

1 Like

Well done…if you write down all those things you can’t really ‘hide’ them in the back of your mind and pretend you’re fine with alcohol.:pray::rainbow::pray:

1 Like

My son comes home today from visiting his dad. He is 17. I’m debating on asking him to write me a letter with his thoughts and feelings on how my alcoholism has affected him and how it makes him feel. This last relapse he called me out for drinking (he knew I was 3 weeks sober up until then) and I told him he was being an asshole. Them shame and guilt is unbearable and I never want him to see me like that again. I never want to lose control of my actions and emotions due to being in an altered state ever again.

3 Likes

The letter might have some really emotionally charged anger in it, I know I was upset with my dad when he kept relapsing and I don’t know if it would be helpful or hurtful. Just my two cents on the letter idea since I don’t know you or your son!
Congratulations on trying again though and I hope it lasts forever!

2 Likes

My son is 17 as well. My two kids have seen it all. I apologize for what I put them through, and may request that they speak to my addictions counselor this summer when the time is right. My kids are just happy that I have 70 days sober, or have been sober for 70 days; I am present with them, not sick, and stable. I have a meeting every night at 6 p.m., and they don’t mind a bit. It is what I need to do to stay sober, and they want me sober.

3 Likes

Proud of you, lady… :hugs:

1 Like