Day 2 Newbie!

Hello, I am a newbie here and looking for any suggestions on staying sober. I am an alcoholic, but have now been sober for 8 days. Not been easy and scared I will relapse as a week to two weeks is usually when I fall off the wagon. Pray for me.

12 Likes

That was an error. I have only been sober 2 days.

2 Likes

Hi! Good for you for reaching out for help and suggestions. My biggest suggestion would be to find an AA meeting in your area. This program saved my life. Being able to have a safe space to share with like minded people has made all the difference for me. Praying for your continued progress. :facepunch:t3:

4 Likes

Thanks. Difficult to keep alcohol out of the house as my wife has a drinking problem too. She just won’t admit it.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. I’ve read the replies to your original post and I’m wondering if you have talked to your wife about your desire to be sober, and asking her for her help. Having a very clear idea of what you might need from her in support (and ideally keeping the list as short as possible for simplicity) along with genuine reasons why you need what your asking for could help. Keeping the spotlight on you, your sobriety, and how she can help you might help keep her from becoming defensive about herself. Of course, I don’t know you or your wife, so this might not be useful.

Still, sitting down and writing out the reasons why you want to be sober along with how you plan to stay sober in a variety of situations can be really useful so that you can refer back to the list and revise as needed. Keep it where you can see it every day.

I wish you the best. I hope this forum can be useful to you in your sobriety journey.

1 Like

Welcome Rick.
Congratulations on being sober today.
I love counting my days on here. But today is the most import day for me and my sobriety. It was so hard at the beginning. I found this app January 2 2020. And I haven’t had a drink since.
I was 60 years old. And fat drunk and hungover was no way to enter my bronze years. My wife and I drank our first 38 years together. We drank a shitload together. Especially in our early retirement. I hid this app from her the first week, because I knew she didn’t want to quit drinking. I just couldn’t take it anymore. Everything was about where my next drink is going to be. Stocking up on cases of wine and booze for the week. Oh the hangovers were killing me. I’d have these crushing hangovers at 3 am in the shower because I couldn’t sleep. I didn’t want to talk to my kids because I was afraid I might be too drunk. Imagine that. Not talking to your children because of booze. Anyway. My wife still doesn’t want to stop drinking. “She likes it.” Alcoholism has killed off all her family. I’m powerless over her drinking. Totally powerless. I’m powerless over my drinking. I CANNOT CONTROL IT. I’ve never in my life had just one. I was special. I had to drink more than everyone else. Or I wasn’t drinking enough. Anyway. You get the idea.

I started on here just listing all the things I’m grateful for. EVERY MORNING. gratitude is my most powerful tool in my tool box.
I’ve done my gratitude list here 872 days in a row.

After awhile, and doing a lot of reading on here and getting comfortable I started joining in on some of the other threads that interested me.

This is a great place for support.
We got your back if you let us.

I’m not drinking today.
And I’m probably not drinking tomorrow.
That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Oh. And I can talk to my children now 24/7. How grateful is that?
:pray:t2::heart:

2 Likes

Try a meeting might help wish you well

1 Like