Day 4 - major heart racing. Any tips on calming it?

I’ve not experienced this before, at least not to this degree. Chest kinda hurts. I have been taking the med that suppose to stop cravings, too. Never taken it before.
This will pass, right? I’m considering an ER visit, but it won’t be cheap at all.
TIA for support and suggestions

3 Likes

Are you taking meds for withdrawls, or are you taking meds to stop cravings? They are 2 different things I think.

Stop cravings med.

I can’t give medical advice. How long ago did you last drink? Could it be withdrawls or have you been off of alcohol a while?

You definitely should take thiamine B1, and B complex. Depending on the length of your addiction, these become very very depleted. Your blood pressure will take 3 weeks to 3 months to return to normal. See your doctor and have blood work done.

1 Like

Last weekend. 4 days ago. 48, been drinking since 20s

Not to be scary. But on day 10 for me in January I felt something similar. Was awaken at 3 am with chest pain, and decided if I didn’t go away I might go to ER. I drove myself in and spent next 4 days in cardiac unit, due to fluids on my heart and lungs.
Today is day 2, this time around. And I am being very alert to any cardiac issues.

I’m glad you are okay and back giving sobriety another try.
The heart racing isn’t letting up. I obviously don’t want to die, but the bill if it’s nothing is something I don’t need right now.

2 Likes

Not gonna give medical advice, cause without seeing the full picture it’s too dangerous to pull a differental diagnosis online

Considering your age and history I would suggest a ER trip, I understand not wanting the bill, but I’d rather the peace of mind of it being a minor inconvenience

My friends wife was a few years younger than you, having similar symptoms, brushed it off as anxiety, turns out she had an aortic aneurysm that killed her

1 Like

I would go to the hospital. Are you Experiencing any other withdrawal symptoms? Shaky hands? Anxiety? Have you been able to eat? I understand being worried about the money but it sounds like you need to go to the hospital they can give you medication to help you get through the rest of your withdrawal. They will most likely give you Librium or Ativan which is fairly cheap prescription…Sometimes they can release you with that prescription but they might also want to keep you to make sure you’re OK. It will help with the heart racing and any other withdrawal symptoms.It’ll also put your mind at ease. I know what that heart racing feels like and it’s very uncomfortable. Sorry you’re going through this

2 Likes

How are you today? Thinking about you. @ChristineCarol

1 Like

I’m okay. Just wish I could sleep. I haven’t slept well all week. Heart doesn’t seem to be racing like it was last night. I decided not to take any meds today. I’ve also been battling shingles for the past 3 weeks. Not sure if that had anything to do with the heart racing episode last night. It’s a mild case, since I caught it early, but it was miserable until recently. Thanks for checking on me! Day 5 Sober :blush:

5 Likes

Hi, i dont have experience with this but hope everything is ok and your feeling better. :hugs:

1 Like

Congratulations on your 5 days

4 Likes

Thank you! Feeling better today! Just hope I can sleep tonight. I’m completely exhausted.

3 Likes

Congratulations on 5 days keep up the good work I’m glad you are feeling better

3 Likes

Iv just made a chamonile tea with the hope that it helps get me off to sleep, its 1.10am here.
Hope you get a good sleep too.

3 Likes

Thanks, I hope you get some sleep too. Only 7pm in Oklahoma.

1 Like

Thanks, Mike. I’m hoping to never go through all this again. I did skip the no cravings pill today, because I am not sure it didn’t cause the racing heart. Or maybe the mixture of that med with the antiviral for the shingles I’m battling. I picked a fun time to get sober :laughing:

2 Likes

Maybe Monday contact ur Dr and see if the 2 meds have a adverse effects if taken together and no prob I’m glad you are ok

1 Like