Day 7 and would love a glass of wine!

Tell me about it. My wife still drinks like a fish. She had cocktails at dinner last night. I just feel too good sober. That first week is really really hard. Look how far you’ve come. One week IS a big deal. You know you don’t want to have to do that again.

Can you escape for a bit. Get away for 20 minutes walk and deep breathe. And what I think @DLS said. I read talking out loud to yourself to stop the urges can work. Fucking scream. Stamp your feet.
Hang in there.
:pray:t2::heart:

3 Likes

Must be so hard, well done to you!
Thanks for the encouragement and support.
How many days has it been for you?

1 Like

I’m at 591.
All because of this community and checking in daily and doing my gratitude list on here every single day.
It does get easier. But it’s been so worth it!
I’ve been on here before asking for help just like you and I was talked out of it and pretty proud the next morning. Really proud.

5 Likes

That’s amazing!:slight_smile: Well done!
Where do you do your gratitude list? Is it a list of a few things you’re grateful for on that day?

1 Like

Wine is so overrated!!! Who needs wine?! Plus for me, I end up drinking the whole bottle and feel like shit for 2 days. I would much rather drink some juice and call it a day. Hang in there, it gets easier. :purple_heart:

2 Likes

There’s a great bunch of us here.
There’s always room for more.

Im so grateful to be hangover free. I use to get crushing hangovers. :face_with_head_bandage: at 3am :scream: the worst. And then I’d drink again. How stupid was I doing that. Such a viscous cycle. So hard to break.

But seriously, just for today. Just for this BBQ. Don’t pick up. It’s magical how the numbers add up.

2 Likes

I was drinking 2 bottles a night:( every night!:frowning:
I’m really hoping to stick with it forever now. I was so happy for the 6 months I was sober 6 months ago!
Thanks for your support:)

1 Like

Thank you:)
I’m not going to drink, thanks for the motivation and encouragement. I really appreciate it and already happy knowing that I will go to bed sober:)

2 Likes

You will get it back! They say it takes 21 days to break a habit. Stay strong and check back in with us. :))) Sobriety is sooo worth it.

1 Like

Thank you:) it will get easier and I’m looking forward to it. Thanks for the motivation:)

1 Like

Interesting article on gratitude I’ve posted before on the gratitude thread. It’s short. I thought it was pretty interesting how gratitude can battle anxiety and how your brain can’t handle both.
Glad you’re feeling better about not drinking.
Check back in if you need to. I’m still convalescing from my procedure I had done last week. I’m happy to help.
:pray::heart:

Gratitude can have such a powerful impact on your life because it engages your brain in a virtuous cycle. Your brain has only so much power to focus its attention. It cannot easily focus on both positive and negative stimuli

Site-Sober-Logo-150x150.png

Soberish – 11 Aug 19

gratitude.jpg

How Gratitude Can Help Combat Anxiety & Depression - Soberish

I don’t think you actually want wine. If you wanted it you would have got it. Instead you posted here, which tells me that you don’t want wine.

3 Likes

Thank you:) what procedure did you have? Wish you a full and speedy recovery:)
That was a good read, thank you. I’m going to start doing a gratitude journal tonight! I appreciate your support:)

2 Likes

I did really want wine. I think I posted here in the hope to get distracted, which I did:)

2 Likes

Cardiac catheter ablation
I’m good now. Wednesday I can exercise again. Yay!!

2 Likes

You are so right! Thank you for reminding me and bringing to my attention again.
Can’t wait to have fun without alcohol without feeling out of place and anxious.
I am also going for therapy again for childhood trauma so hopefully I’m sure I’ll be back on track again soon.
I appreciate your message:)

1 Like

Wow, sounds serious. I work for a veterinary hospital:)
Yay to excercise:) I’ve been at gym every morning since I stopped drinking:)

2 Likes

Cool. 4 cats 2 dogs here. All rescues. Full house.
We keep our vet busy.

1 Like

You’re so lucky and so are they:) looking into getting a puppy since I’ve been working from home more and he/she could come to work with me. Its such a big desicion that I just keep putting it off but I think it will do me the world of good:) I’m South African but I’ve been in the UK for 16 years and grew up with lots of dogs and pets:) Are they all different breeds?

1 Like

Drinking to celebrate or to emphasize an already happy time was one of the cravings that really got to me. So I know that feeling well!

It subsided greatly the more I practiced being in the present moment. I did this by really trying to be one with the situation I was in… feeling the sun on my skin, hearing the laughter of everyone around me, noticing all the different scents in the air…nature sunscreen and charcoal, noticing how I was really feeling within this moment. I might recognize that I’m feeling anxious and take a few calming deep breaths, or I might be feeling at peace and just lean in deeper in the moment or maybe I’m recognizing how grateful I am to have this time. Or maybe I’m not having a good time and I think what can I do for myself in a positive way, to make it better. A lot of times that just means removing myself from a situation and reading or watching TV. If I’m not feeling up for something, I can leave.

Anyways I hope you’re having a good time and the cravings aren’t too bad.

3 Likes