Day by day, my log

Hey all, today I am a day and half in. I would like to start a daily log, just to help me kinda track how things are going, and say something about my day - What I did or whatever, as I search for new hobbies and interests besides spending hours at the bar. Feel free to ignore this! Lol. Some days I will be detailed, some not.
So, yesterday - day 0- I worked in the morning, then had a job interview at Findlay market (It’s kind of an open air market with some store fronts and whatnot that we have here) for a bbq place there. I got it! He said I seemed personable, which was nice. We did the interview in the outdoor dining area/beirgarten in front of the restaurant and the guy tending the bar asked me if I got it as I walked away, then congratulated me. :slight_smile: Then I did a bit of grocery shopping, since I was down there. Ran into a couple friends. Came home and texted my boss because the apartment I applied for wants him to write a letter for me, he said he would. Made myself cheesy rice with bacon & tomatoes for dinner and cleaned the kitchen. I read and played games on my phone and went to bed.
Today is day one! I ate leftover rice for breakfast and puttered around the garden a bit, let my dog play in the yard, did the dishes. It was nice to wake up feeling rested and good (besides the usual achy back lol). I made a Pinterest board this afternoom, about hobbies and activities for sobriety. I start my new job at 10am. If anyone asks me about drinking it is a new social situation so I can just say, “Oh, I don’t drink.” I ended up going with a friend to get new brake pads with my bike, then hung out with my two friends and ordered Indian food to their house. Now in bed, I am going to wake up early and well rested!
I would love to hear about what anyone else is up to!

8 Likes

The job went great! They seemed to like me, the food is amazing, it’s really laid back. I think it will be a very nice change of pace for me. :slight_smile: Plus it is in the local open market, so it’s a really fun location.

2 Likes

Congrats on the job! Sounds like it’s a great place, I would love it there!
I have been thinking about starting a journal type log on here as well. I’ve been keeping a paper one but this might be a little easier!
My day today was mixed… I had to reset my timer after only 7 days (almost) which was frustrating and brought forth a whole array of emotions. But as the day has progressed I have chosen to take a hold of whatever positivity I can find in it and move ahead with more determination and strength this time around!
Other than that… I dropped my kids off at their grandparents, had a meeting at the bank to look at restructuring my mortgage, had a nap, had a bath and now I’m going to start to make dinner!
I hope you have a great night and I’ll be watching for your updates!!

3 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about the reset, I have so many times, but I know each time I learned what helped and what didn’t and I would recognize my excuses for what they are. One day at a time, we got this! I think I partially decided to do this because it will give me some accountability to y’all, and I can track my own growth as I figure out who sober me is. It also motivates me to do things that i can write about! Lol. I want to take a nap so bad, I’m trying to kinda reset my habits in a broader way by getting up earlier. A total lifestyle overhaul, if you will. I got up an hour earlier than I needed to today, it was nice once I actually got out of bed. It sounds like you had a productive day!

4 Likes

I think the accountability part of it appeals to me as well, plus it’s reason to be on the app every day!
The nap was pretty good :blush: I don’t normally nap but it was a late, terrible night lastnight.
I love the total lifestyle overhaul. That was something that I mentioned to my husband today actually! The structure of my entire life needs to change. The kids go back to school next week and I want to start getting up about an hour and a half earlier than them. I would like to hit my treadmill for 30-45 minutes and then enjoy a coffee in peace and quiet before starting their breakfast. But… that means I will be getting up at 5:30am :flushed: So for now I will get up at 6, have a coffee, start their breakfast and get them up and out the door. Then do my treadmill lol. I also would like to start taking an online course. Nothing major but just something that I’m interested in and something to focus on. Little goals you know?

3 Likes

Today is day 2. I haven’t gotten past 4 in a long time, but my birthday was Monday and I am 27 and I just got out of a relationship with an alcoholic (a week ago tomorrow) who saw no need to change and I see so many friends just wasting their lives away. I am really determined this time. Idk. It feels right this time.

3 Likes

That’s fantastic!! You can get past that hurdle! I am filled with determination as well, this is it! I’m 34, I have two small kids and I want to be able to be present for them. Not to mention rebuilding my relationship with my husband.
Lol I updated my post because as soon as I sent it I remembered that you said how many days you had.

2 Likes

Day 2! (I adjusted things to reflect complete days, so today I am working towards day 3, nut have 2 complete days)
Today I made myself get up early at 7:45. I made a nice breakfast and let my dog out, did dishes, then took a shower. I left early enough to get a coffee, then I was almost late to my first day at my new job because the bus was running late. I worked, then afterwards found some cherries and lemons on sale and bought a chicken thigh to use to make fajitas tomorrow. When I got home I could not stop snacking. I ate all the cherries, some cheese, and leftover Indian food. Tidied up the kitchen, let the dogs run around outside, drank a bunch of sweet tea, and played on my phone for a bit while laying in bed. Then I fell asleep for two hours, woke up, ate the rest of the leftover Indian food, some grape tomatoes, and sauteed veggies with bacon. I was ravenous. I think it is a detox symptom. I made my self a cup of herbal bed time tea with lemon and local honey and am now curled up in bed about to read for a half hour until I go to sleep at midnight. If i make it that long. I am trying to sleep at midnight every night, then wake up at 8 every morning. Eventually I want to do 11:30 but that will have to wait, baby steps. Midnight is gonna be a tough adjustment as is, compared to being out every night until 3am. I am definitely experiencing symptoms of detox: extreme tension in my neck, increased appetite, and exhaustion. I am hoping once I begin to get my energy back to start working out several times a week and focus on my nutrition more, but right now I feel like I should let my body do what it needs to do… not drink.

3 Likes

Im the same at the moment. It’s day four for me being sober. So all I want to do is sleep. Walk the dog when I get a burst of energy go see my psych and that’s about it. But know it gets better and every day you can do a little bit more. Go at your own pace. That’s what I’m trying to do, listen to your gut.

4 Likes

I know I must sound crazy! I’ve been waking up at 430-445am and hitting the gym by 530am. Walking into work right at 745am. Ive found if I don’t do my workouts before work, I’ll blow off my workouts after work. The only drawback to that, is I’m in bed between 9-10pm. Such an early bedtime makes me feel old, perhaps I am old…

Insanely, 2 months ago, 430am was my bedtime.

I do so much better mentally, when I have goals and an habitual routine. I focus on my next objective. This seems to keep me calm and erase all my anxiety.

3 Likes

Omg guys I basically went to bed at 9pm then slept until 11am. I had an alarm set for 8 but i guess i ignored it. Good thing it is my day off!

That sounds like you had a fantastic rest!! Your body totally needed it I’m sure!! Hope you have a great day off today :blush: let us know what you get up to!
I’m heading into the city right away to pick up some things for my daughters birthday party tomorrow. :heart:

1 Like

Awww. How old?

She turned 7 and my son is 5 and 1/2 :heart_eyes:

1 Like

The guy at the bar probably wants to date you really hard. No guy randonly congratulates a stranger unless he wants to date them all night long. My 2c.

Lol. No, it’s just the environment of the market. He was a grandfatherly type of guy and was working… I have plenty of experience with creepy old men, trust me!

Day 3!
I woke up at 11 today… whoops! So much for the getting up early. I slept 14 hours last night tho, so I must have needed it. I had really vivid dreams, and woke up sore. Once I move I think im going to get a new mattress. Woke up, had breakfast, tidied up a bit, did some journaling - I am doing a 30 day challenge with prompts on gratitude. My dog got annoyed that I wasn’t paying attention to her so she peed on my bed. I was soooo mad. So I washed my sheets (I guess I needed to any way?) And scrubbed the mattress. I got the smell out but now my bed smells like vinegar! Better than the alternative. Then I met up with a friend at the park for a doggie playdate! It was fun catching up with her, I haven’t seen her in forever. She is pretty introverted so bars and things aren’t really her scene. Came home and took a 2 hour nap, then my friend was having a get together for her 4 year anniversary of sobriety from heroin (she is 3 1/2 months off alcohol). We ate Chinese and played card games. It was fun. :slight_smile: Getting to bed an hour later than I intended cause of that, but I am now curled up with my sleepy tea. Feeling some withdrawl effects (tiredness and snackiness) but definitely feeling good and strong. Hope everyone else had a good day and here’s to day 4!

1 Like

Sounds like a pretty good day aside from the dog mess!! Wonderful that you got to catch up with an old friend!! Hope you have a good rest tonight.
I just finished making the cupcakes for my daughters birthday tomorrow. I made myself a tea and am watching Criminal Minds with my hubby and am going to sleep very soon!
Here’s to another hangover free morning and another sober clear headed day tomorrow!

1 Like

Oooh. I love criminal minds. I hope you all had a blast celebrating your daughter today!

1 Like

Day 4
Today was probably the hardest so far. I worked, and it was just a crap shift. Needy tables, who I worked my rear off for and they were garbage tippers. I think my boss and I are coming to an understanding, though. I think it’s just cause he has worked with me and seen that I work hard, rather than all the things one of the women has been saying behind my back. After such a long and frustrating shift, when I was already very anxious as it was, I just wanted to fall on old habits and grab a drink when I got off at 5:30. “Relax” after a hard day. I wanted to really bad. I didn’t, though. I walked around downtown a bit, took a bus home. Sat around on the forum, played with my dog, drank tea, did my gratitude writing, then made some reallllyyyy yummy fajitas, and listened to a podcast (they help occupy my mind so i am not thinking so much) and did dishes. I got through all that stress and anxiety. Me. By myself.
I am really proud of myself today. I’ve never made it past day 4 and here I am, going strong. :slight_smile: I just read a bit in bed and drank my tea and here’s to day 5 and waking up rested and sober!

3 Likes