Day one for the 100 time

Day one for me, again and again and again. i dont know whats wrong with me, ehy i keep returning to day one. this destroyes my health and my life. i ve been asking my wife to support me and to quit, but she drinks seven evenings per week, and she thinks we dont have a problem. we do have huge problem, its never just couple of drinks, its always till blackout. Been so tired from it, shamed from parents, from children . this madness must stop.

8 Likes

Hi. I have nothing to offer but my support. I’m on day one too. It’s really hard when the people around you don’t support what you’re trying to do or don’t believe it’s an issue even though you do. I’m sorry you are going through that.

hi there, yes its a huge problem, that the person so close to you dont see the problem, sometimes i think that she even dont want that i quit. but i must take power in my hands and quit for good. . worst part is, when i get to drinking it goes around 3-4 days. without any food, only beer, rum, and thats it. years ago i drinked and had fun with friends, now there is no fun left at all. and i see in this comunity, that im not the only one with this crazy problem, so many people struggle.

1 Like

Maybe try a meeting might help wish you well

1 Like

What have you been doing to keep sober?

1 Like

In this case, your sobriety support will need to come from elsewhere. You can get sober with a partner who still drinks, it is harder, but lots of people have done it.

Check out these suggestions. Blessings on your house :pray: as you begin your journey.

3 Likes

to be honest, i always think that this habit will just go away, but now its up to point, that i need help, and need to get back control. I see in this community, that a lot of people are from USA, i am living in small country called Latvia (North East Europe), and here , i would say more then half of the nation, use drinking on daily bases, 1 beer, 10 beer it doesnt matter. specialy when we have long and dark winters. but yes, for now i must figure out how to fix me. and thats the most important thing, otherwise im scared to loose everything. i just need to keep busy in the evenings. one of my plan is, to check in with my parents every evening, to show that im sober and that all is fine, (my parents dont drink alcho at all). i know after quitting drinking, people have some problems with sleep, is there any good tip, what to do with sleeping problems?

My wife and I were drinking the same, 7 days a week til black out drunk. We had other issues within our relationship, but drinking made things 10 times worse. I explained to her, that we needed to quit for each other, to be the best possible version of ourselves we could be, for each other, or there was no reason to continue being married.

That worked for me. She immediately realized our marriage was more important than drinking. She didn’t want to lose me, any more than I wanted to lose her.

You may need something else to do with your time. Instead of having that drink, do some type of work out, calisthenics, or a walk/jog , run if your body allows it. Get those endorphins flowing. Get to sweating out those toxins, and take getting healthy serious.

Hope this helps! Keep trying to be the best version of yourself. You deserve it!

2 Likes

thank you so much for your support!, i do a lot of walking when have free time, that helps, after long walk, it would be terrible to drink. some years ago i was sober exactly for 1 year, it was one of the best years of my life. we already had with my wife many of these conversations, but then again, like from middle of nowhere, we sit in a kitchen, having a talk about life, she have 2 bottles of wine, and i have 8 cans of beer… hopefully this will end this time.

2 Likes

I JUST had this conversation with my husband. He’s very supportive. But I said man. Do you remember how great I felt every day for the months I wasn’t drinking? How much better my mental health was? Why on earth have I been doing this for three years. Managing to quit drinking for 10 months to a year and then binge drinking 3 nights a week for 2-3 months and then having to start over.

Even if it’s hard to remember how bad you feel when you were drinking 10 months ago, why is it so hard to notice how GOOD you’ve been feeling while sober. Why doesn’t that good feeling chime in when your brain says a glass of wine would be great with this meal? It’s just one glass. And it is that night. But before you know it you’re wasting days feeling awful and THEN you’re suddenly like oh yeah. Drinking makes me feel bad and not drinking makes me feel good.

1 Like

Don’t ever give up. I’m a chronic relapser. i manage three or four days before i screwup. but i still do my recovery behavior. i can still learn and I’m getting stronger. its all about behavior and making now habits.