Day one of sobriety for me

Hi, this is day one for me. It’s hard, I’ve tried so many times to stop drinking but always failed. Any suggestions are welcome :blush:

17 Likes

Welcome Sarah.
Today is a great day to be sober. Glad you found us.
I do it one day at a time. ODAAT.
This is a great sober community to get and give support. Have a good read around and join in when your comfortable.
Here are two good threads to start:

My strongest tool is gratitude. Every morning I start here on the gratitude thread.
I hope to see you around.
:pray:t2::purple_heart::cactus:

7 Likes

Welcome Sarah. My husband and I are 5 days sober today. I agree, one day at a time. Seems to be a lot of support here to help out.

4 Likes

Thanks, I really need this. I can’t keep living the way I am, drinking all the time.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community! There’s alot of support here :blush:

3 Likes

Even if you fail again, never stop trying. One day it will click! Keep checking in, this place is a huge support in my sobriety.

4 Likes

I just did day 1 yesterday. Stay strong and remember why you made this choice. You got this!

1 Like

Thanks for the support :relaxed:

How I finally stopped drinking was sitting down and drinking coffee at every AA meeting I could get to. Hope you find your way!

2 Likes

Hi, I’m in the same boat. I’ve had so many day ones, hard getting to day two. I wish you the best!

1 Like

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

Welcome Sarah! :wave: Lots of good advice above; I just wanted to chime in and add my voice to the welcome party.

Read around, explore the writing here, and take some time to check in if you can - it is super helpful for getting out of your head and staying grounded (at least it is for me):

Checking in daily to maintain focus #41

You’re a good person and you deserve a safe, sober life where you can be your full self. :innocent:

1 Like

Thank you for these words. I need alot of help.

1 Like

Do you know of any AA meetings in your area? You should be able to google it.

1 Like

So glad you’re here Sarah. For me it took going to treatment as I am part of the thirsty thirsty family of alcoholics! Then, after rehab I dug into meetings and worked with a temp sponsor to help me stay focused on the prize – life!

I still attend meetings once weekly and come here daily. All it takes in the beginning is a desire to stop and we find what works and work it.

See ya around.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for sharing. For me I know I can do this…I need some support

2 Likes

I’ve been looking for meetings. I’m worried bc I get very anxious trying new things.

3 Likes

My first meeting i was greeted with smiles and warm welcomes. New comers are the best thing for meetings. Without AA i would not be sober today.

2 Likes

Feeling anxious is very common - a lot of people feel that way in the early days. :innocent:

Maybe try an online meeting - you can attend and don’t have to turn on the camera:

24 hour zoom marathon meeting
Code : 292 371 2604

There are more here:

Online meeting resources

Take care and keep focused on your goal. If you’re choosing that something matters - if you’re choosing that being healthy and grounded (meaning: sober) matters - then just take one little step per day, and keep reaching out and sharing (here or in your meetings). Getting clean and healthy is about sticking with it and learning to take care of yourself in healthy ways - and you can do it.

One helpful word is HALT:

Hungry (so I need to eat)
Angry (so I need to talk with someone about it)
Lonely (so I need human connection - this can be at a meeting, online or in person, or here on TS, or wherever you can have a safe human connection)
Tired (so I need to rest / sleep)

If we ignore those four things it puts us in danger. Learning to pay attention to ourselves and meet our healthy human needs is a big part of getting healthy and clean :innocent:

3 Likes

Thanks for the information…I will try the online meetings first.

1 Like