Day zero again

Another relapse. This time I made it 2 months and 13 days. It always seems as though I can get to around the 2-month mark then I drink again. I’m a father of four (My oldest is 6 years old), been married 12 years, have a great career. It bothers me that I’m constantly putting these things in jeopardy because of an urge to drink. I suppose I’m writing this just to get it out but also am seeking some guidance and/or support. I’m desperate to stop hurting myself and the people I love. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts they’d be willing to share?

10 Likes

Welcome! I know how hard it is to let this crutch go. Read a lot and post often. You’ll find by helping others, you also help yourself. What, in addition to just not drinking, are you doing to aid in your sobriety? I am glad you’re here!

1 Like

Welcome to Talking Sober/sober time! Plenty to read here, and all our struggles with the disease of addiction. I could recommend lots but I think the most important thing for me was accepting that I have alcoholism and then making a choice to do whatever it takes to live. I like meetings and working with others who also live with addiction. Coming here is a big part for me too. So glad you’re here!

2 Likes

I’m just coming off a relapse, 3 days in. I’m like you I get to certain point and put my guard down. I just keep reminding myself I’m stronger than the addiction. Pick up the pieces and try again. I do this quietly as no one in my life knows I struggle with this, just the people I get pills from and they are not in my life, they are just that. Just remember all the time we are wasting with our kids being in these cycles, try play uno with your little ones to keep your mind busy. Go for walk, or watch a movie with the family. I don’t have any solutions, just the desire to want to change and help others.

2 Likes

Welcome! I’m a newbie to sobriety myself so I have very little wisdom to share but you’re in the right place, this group is awesome.

1 Like

If what you’ve been doing isn’t working it’s time to try something different meetings like AA is a good place to build a sober network of friends and people who have walked in your shoes good luck all the best

1 Like

I can relate to the frustration of the never ending merry-go-round. It is no fun at all…

In order for this to work for me I had to get out of my comfort zone and try something different. As my recovery progresses I am challenged daily with the need to continue to apply that idea of trying new things all the time. Our addicts are cunning and they become very used to our ways. We need to stay many steps ahead of them in order to remain clean and sober.

So I use what worked for me and I add new things. This app was one thing I added, meetings was another, I have recently added more meditation and yoga. This disease we have is for life, therefor our journey will be life long.

I am glad you found us, welcome to the forum.

:orange_heart::seedling:

2 Likes

Welcome Shaun,
I’m glad your here.

Advice for new comers and constant relapsers

My best tool is gratitude, right here every single morning. Daily Gratitude List #3 - #2 by Dazercat
I hope to see you around
:pray:t2::heart:

1 Like

Maybe try a meeting might help wish you well

1 Like

Welcome! This is a great step on a path to a better life. Be active, read a lot and be open to advice.

You deserve a sober life.

1 Like