Deal with problems instead of drinking to ignore it

It feels like I’ve lost my tolerance to properly deal with my problems. Instead I keep trying to convince myself that I don’t care… just booze it up. I solely rely on drinking for sleep… couldn’t tell you the last time I fell asleep sober. I’m starting to experience serious withdrawals from my flared up anxiety to my body shaking uncontrollably. I desperately need help, guidance, support… SOMETHING. I know I’m better than this addiction… any kind of insight would be so greatly appreciated :purple_heart:

4 Likes

Why not seek medical treatment? Withdrawals can lead to seizures. Consider going to the ER, your primary doctor or rehab. There’s no shame in asking for help. I personally went to an outpatient detox and it was the best decision I made.

5 Likes

I’m certainly not opposed to educating myself with options, however trying to balance a full time job and household is my main concern… what can I do that won’t keep me from my day to day life?

I was able to balance a full-time job, household and caring for a disabled child all while getting sober. It can be done if you want it bad enough.

Edit… meetings are available online at all hours of the day and night. Here’s a link. Online meeting resources

I personally use the following on those days I can’t get to in person meetings:

2 Likes

Drink two pints of water and download This Naked Mind onto your kindle or as an audio book. It’s a way in which doesn’t remove you from your home.

1 Like

You are absolutely amazing for recognising what’s going on and yes you are so so much better than this addiction! Well done for reaching out… I know you want things to change and you want that self control back, It will come back! Prayers for you to experience your chains loosening, encounter clarity & anxiety to diminish - enabling you to deal with life’s challenges, thinking of you :pray:

Maybe try a meeting might help wish you well

2 Likes

Looking at it another way, continuing to drink is a surefire way to be kept from our day to day life, possibly for good.

I thought I had things pretty well under control while drinking, they were just a little chaotic, that’s all. As I worked on my recovery I found because of my drinking, I had been much, much closer to losing my job and loved ones than I realized. Thankfully for me it wasn’t too late.

Putting my sobriety first, so many things rapidly improved. It really is worth it.

Out patient isn’t a bad idea for managing the jitters and such. Doctors can help. As for the anxiety, support groups can help a lot. We don’t have to do it alone.

Good news is if we make this our last quit, we don’t have to go through the worst bits ever again!

1 Like