Derailment void / Off topic 2021 to present

I think if you take @Dan531 's other comment about having the same kind of thought processes in early recovery, as well as mine saying that most of us often respond when we can see our own past behaviours played out in others, it becomes less of a put down.

And as per my earlier post, the only reason people are responding to you is because they actually do care and are hoping for a good outcome for you (and anyone else reading who can relate).

I can remember bristling at things I read here, but as time went by came to see the truth and value in them. There have been many debates about the merit or otherwise of tough love on the forum over the years. The thing is what might be exactly what one person needs to hear (whether or not they realise it at the time!) might be a big turn off for someone else. Thatā€™s life.

I know for me learning to let go of the things that donā€™t serve me, including the need to engage with everyone and everything, has been a game changer for me using the forum over the years. We donā€™t have to agree with everyone and everything, thatā€™s OK :blush: I hope you can find the threads to hang out on where you feel supported and connected to others. Thereā€™s certainly a lot to choose from!

7 Likes

I actually would buy a copy. Everyones path is different but everyoneā€™s pitfalls are the same. Iā€™m certainly no expert on sobriety, Iā€™m still new to it, still learning. The techniques to remain sober have evolved as my sobriety has matured.

I guess what people are trying to say is keep an open mind to what has worked for others. If youā€™re willing to do whatever it takes to stay sober you will, if youā€™re not you wonā€™t.

This place is extremely helpful if youā€™re looking for help. I apologize for offending you. Feel free to flag my post.

2 Likes

No, Iā€™m not worried about being triggered and yes I am strong. That post was me highlighting (yes, sarcasticly) a comment that was, obviously, nothing other than sarcastic and unhelpful. Iā€™m more than happy for you to pick apart that comment and show me the bits that werenā€™t sarcastic and were actually of some help or use.

@siand. Yes! This!

Someone made a snarky comment to me the other day. Initially I felt bad. Then upon rereading I felt that words were put in my mouth. And I had tried to be supportive to this person. Second emotion, anger. I wrote a pretty tame response but realized it would just spark controversy or an online argument. Neither of which I need. Soā€¦I didnā€™t respond but also deleted my initial post. God forbid should someone else call me out (yup, sarcasm). And I didnā€™t feel good about that decision but didnā€™t think too much about it. But I will, as I think my unwillingness to support myself and stand by my input here is important. Anywayā€¦I read a bit more and the person who wrote the snarky comment totally RIPPED someone else a new one. Then out of curiosity I read a few more of their posts. Ouch!! Thenā€¦all their posts were gone. So, although I was figuring it out by this time, I realized this person was in trouble. Next feelingā€¦compassion.

I learn so much here!

4 Likes

Apology accepted and I too apologise for my sarcastic response. I do have an open mind and I do listen to other peopleā€™s stories, thoughts and experiences. I donā€™t know the methods others have used but the method I have used is about living my life without alcohol. Living a life that includes going to parties, weddings, the pub, funerals and so on. It focuses on adopting a very different view of alcohol, retraining and learning new. Itā€™s a method that says you donā€™t drink so you donā€™t need to hide from it. Thereā€™s quite a bit of science involvedā€¦new responses to old stimuli, neural plasticityā€¦yada yadaā€¦ Dont fully understand it but its working so I donā€™t really need to understand it. Everyone here has their own path, their own method. I am very much open to other opinions but when, in this discussion, I said how I was embracing these situations, I was shot down and told it was a ā€œterrible ideaā€ and basically told it would guarantee relapse. I was then accused of ā€œpromotingā€ my ā€œterrible ideaā€. I accept that for the people who made those comments, this method may not work for themā€¦but, I have, genuinely met and spoke with 100s of people that have succeeded this way. My mind is open but from some responses I have had, I feel others minds maybe not so. I suppose part of why I took offence isā€¦rather than ā€œthatā€™s a terrible ideaā€ā€¦whats wrong with ā€œwell if itā€™s working, great! Keep goingā€. Just feels a bit arrogant and unsupportive.
But yeah. Weā€™re all doing our thing and, mostly, helping and supporting each other.
Good luck with your journey and whatever you are doing, I hope its helping and working.

1 Like

If a relapse is triggered by a comment from an online strangerā€¦ Then you donā€™t want to quit drinkng. You are in control of your alcohol intake. Not someone who lives on the other side of the world. I think the sarcasm comes from the fact that you advise people to confront their addiction at parties when that leads to relapses in many occasions and potentially death. And i also think @Dan531 wanted to make you realize that youā€™re doing some risky shit through sarcasm as common sense does not seem to work. Which is a common occurance in early recovery so I donā€™t blame you. Just be careful not to shutdown all help. This forum has centuries if experience amongst its members so they often know what theyā€™re talking about.

To me it seems as though youā€™re desperate to be near alcohol, Iā€™ve had the same thing with my doc. It might very well be your addiction telling you to be close to alcohol to lure you into a deadly trap. But I canā€™t see inside your head. I donā€™t know what youā€™re thinking.
Do as you please with this information. Good luck :+1:

Edit: looking at your last post, you have put plenty of thought in your choices. If it works, it works. And I truly hope it does :smiley:

Ok. Boomer

4 Likes

Iā€™m not advising anyone to do anything. Iā€™m sharing what Iā€™m doing and what I feel is working for me. As you point out, I am in control of my alcohol intake, so is everyone else. As you say, do as you please with this information, as can anyone reading my information. Iā€™m not desperate to be near alcohol. Iā€™m desperate to be able to live in an alcohol-saturated society without needing to drink it. For me, using the method I have adopted (a method that 1000s of others have successfully used), means facing situations and challenges head on, with a different mindset- coming out with a different result and repeating- the effect being I retrain, adopt new learned behaviour and become stronger and better at it.
Yes, it is working, for me and yes I have given it a lot of thought. Thank you for your best wishes.

1 Like

Best advice Iā€™ve ever got regarding posting on the forum :metal:t2::sunglasses::metal:t2:

Is it ok to derail a conversation in the derailment void? :thinking: Asking for a friend :joy:

5 Likes

Which friend? I thought I was the one and only :laughing:

1 Like

Yes, you are the one and only. I was asking for you, obviously, you doofus :face_with_hand_over_mouth::wink::hugs::laughing:

2 Likes

Oh fuck, donā€™t give me away! :rofl:

2 Likes

Sounds like I was your mama, ā€œDonā€™t give away your bebe!ā€

1 Like

@SoberGuyUSA
Sure we are. Just look at her. Sheā€™s our Olympic wrestler. The blonde, that is.

8 Likes

Is that Milile?

2 Likes

Yā€™all done derailed the derailment thread. Kudos

12 Likes

Talented bunch :wink:

7 Likes

Have the Finn wear red/white, and the Japanese wear blue. Who thought THAT made sense?!

That said, I figure both of them could twist me into a pretzel and break me in half without getting a sweat going.

4 Likes

I seriously remember being worried that Iā€™d get a suspension for derailing the derailment void :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

They told me early on that I donā€™t have to attend every fight Iā€™m invited to.

6 Likes