Derailment void / Off topic 2021 to present

Yeah I think she isn’t very worried of walking alone in the late hours, LOL.

1 Like

Like when we’re invited to drink! Pass, thanks.

1 Like

Yep. I didn’t tempt fate for a good while at first. Once secure though, what’re you gonna do? Avoid your friend’s wedding? Booze gonna keep existing whether I drink or not.

But same. Now sober, there’s a lot of drunken tomfoolery I just don’t care for anymore.

3 Likes

Definitely not an issue these days. The 10th step promises really do work. That being said I still don’t take risks and go places unless I have a good reason to be there.

I do trivia with friends at a bar. They drink. I eat nachos and drink free club sodas and lime, but I wouldn’t go if trivia wasn’t involved.

3 Likes

I’m with David mostly. Early on in sobriety I did go to my old bar for a while. I guess I tried to stay friends with my drinking friends. As it turned out they were not my friends. They were drinking buddies. And the bar wasn’t a place for good times and good talks but instead it’s a place for drunken incoherent ramblings and fights.
So pretty soon I quit going there. I could have saved myself the trouble. And in hindsight I could have avoided the risk of me having a drink again, out of boredom, out of craving, out of wanting to belong, out of habit, out of being an addict. So despite me having done that and having survived with my sobriety intact, with the knowledge I have now I would strongly advice against following the same path. Yes I am advising something here.
And I still go to social gatherings and events, just as long as alcohol isn’t the main objective of the event. I love live music. I used to think I needed to drink to enjoy it. The opposite is true. I’ll go to funerals. Of course. Getting drunk at a funeral is sad. Haven’t been to a wedding in years but I’d go.
Alcohol is all around. Can’t avoid it. But I don’t have to go looking for it.
Exposure is an interesting subject and can be a beneficial treatment for different psychiatric illnesses. But when done in a therapeutic setting it is handled with extreme care and precaution. There are some experimental exposure based treatments for treating alcoholism (i.e. CET) It can very easily go wrong. Take care. For a decent meta-analysis of CET see Cue exposure therapy for the treatment of alcohol use disorders: A meta-analytic review - ScienceDirect

5 Likes

Chlordiazepoxide-HCL is a benzo and there are people on the forum who have struggled/ are struggling with this.

Benzos are known to be addictive and open to abuse, with risk of overdose and death. All drugs are dangerous without medical supervision (even sometimes with medical supervision, as many here have found!).

Advocating the use of addictive substances on the forum is not in the spirit of the rules.

I’m not posting this here for discussion, let’s leave it at that.

5 Likes

Yeah, when it comes to prescription medication, that really is a matter of honest discussion with our doctor. Off-label use can spell disaster.

When it came to deciding how much of anything I needed, it’s pretty dangerous to be my own judge as I’ve demonstrated to myself over and over again!

Have you talked with your doc about it?

I apologize. I’m very new to this and I don’t really understand how things are classified. I try to post seldom and only meant well. My apologies. I’m fine with deleting that comment however I need to. Not trying to violate any rules. I tried deleting it so hopefully that goes through. This is why I try keeping comments to myself

11 Likes

You don’t need to keep comments to yourself, if it’s out of line it’ll get caught, trust me :sunglasses:. We’re all here to try and help eachother.

5 Likes

Yeah, by all means, it’s better to share than not for the sake of our recovery! No harm, no foul.

4 Likes

Sometimes I feel that it’s better to not comment. I’ve even gone as far as deleting and then retyping and deleting again. However, I’ve noticed when I do reach out or put a comment out there it helps someone at some point.

3 Likes

It was moved to the Derailment Cryogenic Chamber in the hopes we have the technology in the future to reanimate them safely.

4 Likes

I’ve once had access to the graveyard. I could enter it through a notification saying a post of mine was put there. I regret not exploring it more before alerting the mods of the bug…

5 Likes

I understand what you mean - it can feel like a loaded term. Even if a relapse is a failure in terms of failing to maintain a sobriety streak past a certain point, like @VSue says, experiencing a failure doesn’t mean that the person is a failure.

As with everything it’s all semantics and what works for one may not work for another. It’s good to hear other perspectives if it helps us find the thing that works for us :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Wow! That makes sense. Because that’s exactly what I’m working on. Toxic Shame; this feeling that I’m a worthless piece of junk; a failure. It’s a nasty, nasty root that seriously underminded all of my efforts to stop using.

4 Likes

Moving conversation here as it doesn’t feel like a tough love kind of thing :laughing:

I do think it’s important to be able to accept when things haven’t gone to plan, whether or not you call it a failure. Being able to reframe that kind of thing is part of what, for me, helps to break down some of that toxic shame.

I am human. I don’t always make the right calls or act in the ways I might want to, same as everyone else. What I can do is forgive myself for my actions, try and understand them and see if there are things I can do to help me make different choices in future. But I can only do that if I accept the mistakes I make, and believe that I am worthy of forgiveness, compassion etc.

That’s the tricky bit!

4 Likes

Meh, a thread like that is kinda hard to derail. But alas you are the boss :rofl: and can move it any damn place you want

6 Likes

tumblr_inline_nr557eiUKV1s6lmae_500

:face_with_hand_over_mouth::joy:

Jokes obvs. I’m not above the rules and don’t mind moving myself to the derailment thread!

7 Likes

I’m confused guys…Where is my “Sober November” Thread? And why did i get a link to this?:thinking:

Someone moved it to the seeking help category.

1 Like