Didnt cave last night!

Im always a binge drinker. Once i start i cannot and will not stop. “Ill just have one” turns into “ok maybe 2 wont hurt” then its “well now i have to reset my counter anyway so fuck it”… Thats my major downfall. My husband is also a binge drinker. Im quitting and he is not. Well now Im on day 3 sober after my last relapse, which may not sound like much but its further than ive made it most times.
Last night i stayed up watching American Gods with my husband while he sat there and drank 6 high ABV beers and was also high from a joint. And you know what? I didnt want any of that at all. Like NOT AT ALL. No FOMO or resentment or anything for once! When i finally went to bed at 11 i couldnt sleep, sleeping pills didnt work either…ive been a diagnosed insomniac with rapid cycling since i was 11(big part of why i drank so much)… Maybe got 2 hours of sleep, BUT i feel better, more awake, more alert, and happier than i ever did after a full nights sleep after drinking!!! Ill take it :slight_smile: im feeling a lot stronger this time around

15 Likes

Nice work! Have you read any self-help books or tried any meetings?

2 Likes

Ive tried meetings in the past but couldnt get past all the god stuff. Theres a self help book im trying to get my hands on(need to wait til i get paid) called Get Up: A 12-Step Guide to Recovery for Misfits, Freaks, and Weirdos and im really looking forward to getting it when i can. The author is a close family friend and gave my mom a copy many years ago. I tried to read it but its covered in her notes and she is a mjaor trigger for me so i cant bear to read it with those all over it. Need a new copy

1 Like

This might be of interest
https://refugerecovery.org/about

Trust me, 3 days realy does not sould like much but it is. For my addiction 3 days seems like climbing up a mountain. Its something only addicts know the difficulty of. I also know the feeling of resetting the counter so fuck it. I hope both of use can see the day we can say we went 30, 60, 90 100, or 360 days. If we stick with it we can go the rest of our lives.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I totally agree. And good luck hon!!! We can do this :slight_smile:

1 Like

That looks really interesting! Thank you for sharing :slight_smile: im going to read up on their site!

1 Like

Well done, keep it up. My story is similar am on day 1 reset.

1 Like

Yeah, meetings aren’t for everone thats for sure. There’s another good sober book out there a lot of us have read, it’s The Naked Mind by Annie Grace. Good luck with your newfound sobriety and do whatever humanly possible to NOT pour that addictive, cancer causing poison down your throat.

Thank you! Ill look into that one as well!!! I checked for meetings in my area just in case and the only one in my town i can make it to without spending a ton on a Lyft is at a church. if it werent at a church id be more inclined to go. i just feel it would be super extra god based if its at a church based on previous experiences. and i dont have anything against god or churches per se but i grew up with my grandpa being a southern baptist pastor and my mom being pagan; lots of conflict there…just not what i want to throw myself into especially since when i talk a lot of it has to do with that conflict growing up… and the last time i went to a meeting at a church they were not thrilled about what i had to say(again nothing against the church but the majority didnt approve of the lifestyle i grew up in and made that known, and i want the best odds of finding a meeting where i can be accepted as me without bias…if that makes sense)

Sure does. Maybe just listen more for the first couple of meetings and feel everything out…

They rent rooms from churches because its cheap rent, not because there is any association, other than landlord/tenant.

Great work! Stay strong, you can do it! :muscle:t2:

I’ve never been to a SMART recovery meeting, but they seem sorta like AA without the heavy spiritual dose.

After getting my ass kicked by alcohol so many times that I finally surrendered, I returned to AA with a single thought. Previously, I had talked myself out of it due to “not a group joiner” and “too religious”. My single thought was "You guys are sober and happy and I can’t figure this out ". They had something I wanted, but to get it, I had to drop all my arguments, all of them. My best thinking got me in front of a judge, looking at up to 5 years in prison. Maybe it was time for me to stop thinking and start listening.