Different view of things

In my sobriety the god concept was somthing i rejected once and i relapsed. This time around i did my resesrch and found my higher power was based more toward eastern traditions rather than western christianity model really being that its a god of my conceptions. But along my studying i found a neat speach by allen watts that made me think of myself and the world like i never have before. Food for thought. Check it out.

Everybody should do—in their lifetime, sometime—two things. One, is to consider death: to observe skulls and skeletons, and to wonder what it will be like to go to sleep and never wake up. Never. That is a very gloomy thing for contemplation, but it’s like manure. Just as manure fertilizes the plants and so on, so the contemplation of death, and the acceptance of death, is very highly generative of creative life. You get wonderful things out of that. And the other thing to contemplate is to follow the possibility of the idea that you are totally selfish. That you don’t have a good thing to be said for you at all. You’re a complete, utter rascal.

Now, the Christians have avoided this, because although they say, in their Episcopalian form of confession, that We have erred and strayed from thy ways like lost sheep, and we have followed too much the devices and desires of our own hearts. Too much, you know? We have offended against thy holy laws. We’ve left undone those things which we ought to have done, and we have done those things which we ought not to have done, and there is no health in us. But! It ought to be different. And we are going to do our best to amend, with the help of God’s grace. And that is a real con act, because if you equate health with genuine love and perfect unselfishness, then, in that sense, there is no health in us when we look at ourselves from this point of view.

Now, when you go deeply into the nature of selfishness, what do you discover? You say, I love myself if I seek my own advantage. Now, what is the self that I love? What do I want? And that becomes an increasingly, ever-deepening puzzle. Now, I’ve often referred to this. When you say to somebody else, I love you, it’s always rather disconcerting to the person to whom you say that. If you imply that you love them with a pure, disinterested, and holy love, they automatically suspect it as being a little bit phony. But if you say, I love you so much I could eat you, that’s an expression—it’s a way of saying to a person, You attract me so much that I can’t help it. I’m absolutely bowled over by you. I’m gone. And people like that. Then they feel they’re really being loved, that it’s absolutely genuine.

But now, I love you so much I could eat you. Now what the devil do I want? I certainly don’t want to eat the girl in the sense of literally devouring her, because then she’d disappear. Hmm. But I love myself. What is me? How do—in what way do I know me? When it suddenly occurs to me that I know me only in terms of you.

See, when I think of anything I know and that I like, then it’s always something that can be viewed as other than me. I can never get to look at me—real me. It’s always behind, it’s always hidden. And I really don’t know it well enough to know whether I love it or not. Maybe I don’t. Maybe it’s an appalling mess. But certainly, the things that I do love, and that I want from a selfish point of view, when I really think about them, they’re all something else that’s, in a way, outside me.

Now, we saw that there is a reciprocity. A total, mutual interdependence between what we call the self and what we call the other. That’s the warp and the woof. And so, if you’re perfectly honest about loving yourself, and you don’t pull any punches, you don’t pretend that you’re anything other than exactly what you are, you suddenly come to discover that the self you love—if you really go into it—is the universe. You don’t like all of it, you’re selective about it—as we saw in the beginning, perception is selection. But on the whole, you love yourself in terms of what is other, because it’s only in terms of what is other that you have a self at all.

So then, I feel that one of the very great things that C. G. Jung contributed to mankind’s understanding was the concept of the shadow. That everybody has a shadow, and that the main task of the psychotherapist is to do what he called, to integrate the evil, to, as it were, put the devil in us in its proper function. Because, you see, it’s always the devil, the unacknowledged one, the outcast, the scapegoat, the bastard, the bad guy, you see, the black sheep of the family. It’s always from that point that—which we could call the fly in the ointment, you see—that generation comes.

In other words, in the same way as in the drama: to have the play it’s necessary to introduce a villain, it’s necessary to introduce a certain element of trouble. So, in the whole scheme of life, there has to be the shadow, because without the shadow there can’t be the substance.

So this is why there is a very strange association between crime and all naughty things, and holyness. You see, holyness is way beyond being good. Good people aren’t necessarily holy people. A holy person is one who is whole, who has, as it were, reconciled his opposites, and so there’s always something slightly scary about holy people. And other people react to them in very strange ways; they can’t make up their minds whether they’re saints or devils. And so holy people have, throughout history, always created a great deal of trouble, along with their creative results.

Let’s take Jesus, for example. The trouble that Jesus created is absolutely incalculable. Think of the Crusades, the Inquisition, the—heaven only knows what’s gone on in the name of Jesus. Very remarkable. Freud’s a big troublemaker, as well as a great healer, you see? It all goes together.

So, the holy person is scary because he is like the earthquakes—or better, still—he’s like the ocean. See, the ocean, on a lovely sunny day, you can say, Oh, isn’t that gorgeous? You can go into it, and relax, and float around. But boy, when the storm comes does that thing get mad. Terrifying! So there is, in us, the ocean, you see? And Jung felt that the whole point was to bring the two together, and—by a kind of fantastic honesty—to penetrate one’s own motivations to the depths

4 Likes

I believe in reincarnation. We are eternal. We are forever etc. We never cease to exist. Our souls are infinate.

But thats just my belief.

2 Likes

Even your physical self. Even On a scientific basis we are made of matter and electricity. It just transfers and transforms to somthing else eventually. Boom immortal

1 Like

Not my physical self. This “vehicle” that my soul has incarnated in , In this human experience, dosnt reincarnate. Just my soul :innocent:

2 Likes

Me too, kinda at least. We believe that our souls are connected through eternity. The souls you’ll meet here that means something to you, it might be your soulmate in love, your parents, siblings, kids best friends, and old lady on the streets that makes you revalue your life. Those souls that means a lot to you and are leading you on your way forward in a positive way. Those that you feel that special connection and have a special bond with. Those are linked through eternity and meant to be connected. You might not know where or why you meet those people, you might not even understand it while you’re here. But those are meant to be in your life, and will show up when they are needed. We also believe that when you die your soul is going into something like a waiting room until they’re getting assigned to their right place. Sometimes it isn’t even in the shape of a body sometimes it’s " God, spirits, guardian angels, ghosts" or what you wish to call them.

It’s a little more complicated, but basically like that.

5 Likes

Exactly my beliefs as well :pray::hugs::tada: very much so. You explained it perfectly :heart:

3 Likes

Here’s a spooky thing tying in with your thoughts @MrsOdh.
Around 25 years ago I was waiting at traffic lights by St. Paul’s Cathederal, London, 8am. Lots of people. I took this route regularly. The lights changed and I motioned to cross, a very strong arm held me back. A car going through a red light, which would have flattened me, sped past. Everyone then crossed and I seemed pinned to the spot for what seemed like a ages. Never saw who’s arm or who it was, but I KNEW something very special had just happened.

5 Likes

That is so cool. Did you thank your hero? Even if you didn’t saw who it was? Like a Thank you out loud or out into the universe? What’s your point if view, who or what do you think it was?

3 Likes

It changed me. I’m a logical person and although what happened seems quite straightforward, it was so split-second, the fact I was literally stopped in my tracks, and then frozen to the spot while everyone carried on around me - no-one noticed - and my having no inclination to see who saved me from something so grim - none of it seems to make ‘normal’ sense to this day.
And of course, I also thank them to this day!

2 Likes

This is so cool, and it totally align with my beliefs :blush:
Have you tried to find out more? Like talking to a medium or something or are you just fine with the way it is?

3 Likes

No, I never tried to find out more - but I’ve had other strange things since. My uncle had very differing ideas to me about death. He was completely convinced that you die and there is nothing. I believe we’re all sparks of that which is divine, whatever you would wish to call it, parts of a bigger something, and life continues, just not as we’d know or imagine it. We made a deal that if he died and I was right, he would find a way of telling me.
Around a year after his death, my ex asked me if I’d like to go to a meeting in a village hall nearby, there was a medium booked. We went, got there late, knew no-one and talked to no-one. I was the third person he talked to. He told me I wasn’t from, or living in the area (I was living 100 miles away and originated from 250 miles away), I had a family member, male, taller than me die a year previously (all correct), this person had waited patiently to talk to me, but he only had one thing to tell me - ‘You were right’. The medium said that was the only message, did I understand? My ex (who knew about the deal my uncle had made with me) were both quite amazed! It might just be coincidence, but that’s a heck of a lot of coincidences!

4 Likes

I can honestly say that I have become a bit more… Spiritual. I wake up in the morning and try to do as many things that I can possibly do (within my control of course). I try to help out when and where I can, know when and where to speak, listen more than talk and lead by example.
I’m by no means perfect because I do have my faults. Faults that are only known to me. No one else has to know and as far as I can see, I’ve effected a tremendous amount of people in a positive way ever since I’ve decided to stop drinking and drugging.
To see and reflect on that positive effect that I’ve had convinces me that I’m doing right by me and whatever higher power there is. No one will ever effect me negatively, ever again. Because I just don’t give a damn about that shit any more. I’m confident in what I do.

4 Likes

I lost my father 2 weeks ago
He was my best friend
I’m 48 now and started drinking and have been using
I need to stop

2 Likes

And I’m sure he did. I’m sure Pa is here with us to, just like my Grandma. None of them thought they would dissappear, and I’m having coffee with grandma from time to time. Some days I can wake up and the entire living room smells like her. Those times I’m taking out her favorite porcelain and we’re having coffee together.

The day Pa died last week me and Ma was in the kitchen late night talking. Ma started to talk about the funeral ceremony and made some loose plans, in the middle of it I’m asking “Are you sure Pa would have wanted that, our Aunt won’t agree” and the big flower vase on his ofrenda just tipped over in that moment. No one was close to it, because it was in another room nothing broke we just had to clean up the water. Needless to say we’re going for that. Both of us was convinced that he told us that it was what he wanted.

Later on that week he also helped us to find missing documents in odd ways when I asked him to. And the day whe where discussing what songs to play on the funeral ceremony and all of us was gathered in the kitchen discussing, all of a sudden the radio turns on and it plays three of Pa’s favorite songs in one streak without commercials or anything. We just listened quietly.

Ma says she’s been talking to Pa every night. And just like my grandmother his last regard to us was “I’m not gone, I just left for another place”

4 Likes

I hope you don’t mind me saying this, but I’m sure your father wouldn’t want you to drink and use because of what’s happened. Maybe the best tribute you can give is to be the best person you can be, stay healthy and strong?

3 Likes

It’s amazing, all the things that tie-in, and when they happen really DON’T seem to be coincidence.
Superstring and Quantum theory, which are highly regarded scientifically, tell us there could be 9, 10, 11, 26 dimensions and we can’t even comprehend how they may ‘be’. Anyone who writes off the soul or spirit having the ability to endure in some form is shutting themselves to so many possibilities. Your story is one of hope and happiness, not one of nihilism and meaninglessness @MrsOdh!

2 Likes

There’s always hope and meaningfullness. I refuse to believe otherwise. There’s got to be lights somewhere,no matter what happens. :blush:

2 Likes

Thank you
I appreciate that

3 Likes

I lost my father in a car accident when i was 9. Many friends along the way, including the murder of my best friend last year. I feel your pain i really do. But think of it as this if you will. They were put here and taken and against what we feel was their time or way to go. Perseverating on such things will make the matters worse. It did for me anyway. But the time we did have with them we were blessed to have. And whatever you believe in god or anything whatever or wherever they are now and how much they cared for us in life would not want us to destroy ourselves over their death. If i died instead of my dad i wouldnt want him to throw his life away because of me. But i suggest writting him a letter. Whatever you feel, glad, sad, indiffrenent. Whatever you feel you couldnt tell him while he was alive. Take a time to send it off, i burnt mine. and feel what your feeling. Its natural to have that heart tearing pain ripping through your chest. Its okay to cry. Its okay to be sad and tell the ones around you that it bothers you. Take your time to grieve but remeber him in a possitive way and all the good times you had. He will always stay with you, trust me. Mine does. The first year is the hardest but time lessens the ache. we all make it to the dirt eventually. Doesnt mean our lives stop because others do.

I love this!!! This kind of stuff happens to me often.

They communicate with us through many different ways.

I know that when im meditating more often and frequently, my connection is stronger and I am in alignment more to receive messages.

Try meditating every day. Even if for 10 minutes. It will work wonders with your connection and communication :heart:

2 Likes