Discovering my creative side

I wanted to share a little something that I was reminded of today. Idk about u all, but when using drugs, I became very closed off to the world. I was very closed minded and didn’t bother to even try to discover what I was good at or things that I had a passion for. In 2013 I was in a program called TERF. It was a educational based program for women who were experiencing exploitation and who were wanting to get their grade 12 education. One of there projects was a creative one. We had to tell our stories in a creative way. My creative outlet was making dreamcatchers. So I made my 5 tier dreamcatcher into a story. Thought I’d share bcuz I was really proud of this moment. I won 2nd place for it :slight_smile: It is based on the 5 stages of change in relation to my addiction in 2013 (5 stages of change are precontemplation, contemplation, preparation, action, and maintenance).
Here is the entire piece, and then the following images talk about what they represent:

Have anyone else told pieces of their life thru any form of art? I’m curious to see what other forms of art are out there. I think I might try to get in touch with the creative side of me again :slight_smile:

15 Likes

This is actually so amazing and insightful Dana! Thanks so much for sharing! :slightly_smiling_face:

I love it! Beautiful work, Dana. Check out this thread:

1 Like

This is beautiful Dana.

1 Like

This is Wonderful. And your dream catchers are beautiful and really tell a story ! Really powerful ! :pray::spider_web::sunny:

1 Like

This is beautiful Dana. We did something similar in my first recovery group, with a “Recovery Egg”. It was an oval/egg shape, and we filled it with sketches of moments in our lives, formative moments that influenced our later development. It wasn’t about judging them good or bad, just about giving space to recognize what was formative for us.

I have lost it so I don’t have a picture. :cry: I do remember my drawings were stuck figures and shapes, so fairly simple. I still think of it as a valuable creative effort & I liked it. :innocent:

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like